Manager

Review Summary For : Tempo S1
Reviews: 11MSRP: 349.00
Description:
VHF synthesized Handheld
Product is not in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00114.7
W9RAS Rating: 2017-07-27
Tempo S-1 A Classic ! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My S-1 works again 07/25/2017 . Got a new set of NIMH batteries at Harbor freight these are AAA size 700 MAH takes 8 of them... Wired them in series with small thin wire wrapped them all with electrical tape...You must solder them quickly less than 3 seconds on each with a hot gun or iron so you don't destroy the batteries seals. To solder wrap the batteries with tape to hold them then clean battery ends with sandpaper tin battery ends quickly with a hot bigger capacity iron or gun then solder on small thin jumper wires wiring all batteries in series .My home brew Battery works fine , Worked the switches a lot they self clean. Installed a very small single frequency CTCSS encoder. And the 37 year old HT lives again . Bob
KC2VDM Rating: 2011-04-03
great, easy to fix, and great audio!!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
i just got a tempo s1 at a local hamfest for $15! it didn't work at the time, so i took it apart and noticed the battery had partially leaked. i found a manual online, and noticed the voltage was supposed to be 9.6 vdc. i swapped it with a 9v battery, i didnt work. i went to bed. the next morning i took another look inside, and noticed the ground wire (black) was loose. as soon as i touched it to the solder it went to on the board, the radio came to life! i soldered it in, put it back together, and tested it. after a little use, receive worked great!tx didnt work, but +600 worked. i jiggled the switch on back for 10 minutes, and tx worked!DTMF also worked now!

though it may only be 1.5 watt, used a crappy battery, no ctcss, and have an odd antenna connector, it is still a great simplex radio. i will certainly buy another!
WA6PEW Rating: 2009-05-06
S-5 Mint Condition Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have one of these in mint condition. I found it at a "civilian" swap meet for $6. It was my second HT. First one was a Standard C156 or something like that.

It just needed a battery. It does have one other problem. It's about 1kc low. Does anyone know where I can get new crystals for this rig? I have the manual somewhere but I'm not sure if the xtal freqs are listed. I guess I could change the warping caps. Has anyone done this?
Rudy
KC0MNM Rating: 2006-11-03
Overall dependable HT. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I am into vintage gear. Several HT's I've invested in have not held up well. I currently have two working Tempo S-1's and one for parts. The Tempo's seem to be like the Energizer bunny. They keep working and working and working. I was able to get some NiMH batteries for them and they can go for a long time between charges.

Of course, they are very basic with no CTCSS encoding on them, but where I live, I don't really need it.

Once in a great while, one of the HT's doesn't do the -600 kHz shift for repeater use, but I just shift it to simplex and then back and it works.

Very basic with the thumb wheel input, but very little to go wrong.

I'm like a previous reviewer in thinking there should be a discussion group for this radio. Great little, reliable rig!
K1YPB Rating: 2005-11-04
Real good basic HT Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I got my S1 back in 1980 and still have it. It was my primary HT for almost 20 years. Went through two sets of batteries in 20 plus years. I don't use it any more because I don't know where I can get a battery for it. I use a VX-150 now which I really like. There was nothing simpler than the S1 though. I gave it a "5" for what is was then (in the 80's) and its long term reliability. Of course against todays HT's it is really a 2 or 3 or so now. They were really good HT's
WM5E Rating: 2005-11-03
It always worked Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It was my first HT also, and I spent hours and hours on it. I could always tell when the battery was getting low by the little "Ping" tone.
I didn't even need to ID, everyone knew it was me.
I wish I still had it. It lasted through repeated drops, rain and 18 million thumbwheel QSYs.
WM5E
W4HWD Rating: 2005-11-03
My 1st HT Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It was my 1st HT when I was first licensed in '89. It was a great little HT! Destroyed it when I tried to charge the battery with a homebrew charger! The battery sizzled and leaked all over the inside! It's a classic now - if I hadn't wrecked mine I would have kept it!
KI4CH Rating: 2003-11-07
Tempo S1 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The Tempo S1 was my 1st HT. It was the hotttest
going HT in its time. I wish I still had it. I do have a Tempo S2 the 220 Mhz HT and works good.

Paul KI4CH
KA1BTI Rating: 2003-04-07
Not forgotten Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The HT that started it all! A revolutionary handheld in it's time, now all but forgotten with the advent of scanning and CTSS. These were serious handhelds, actually a rugged design,(even by today's standards), and a great receiver. Don't try plugging in a speaker mic, the right jack on top is actually for an external antenna! Also a "proprietary" threaded socket for the rubber duck. I'll keep mine and shake off the dust now and then for a return to the 'golden age' of 2 meter FM!
N9FDE Rating: 2003-01-12
just fun Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Well, heres the deal......
I have owned S1's sence I was a kid...The S1 was the very first HT I ever owned I have 2 of them right now....Their great little beater ht's they talk well sound good have great recivers...
Thing is, Right now im looking for another one... I need one for parts as one of mine has a problem...So, If anyone who is reading this has an old one laying around gathering dust let me know...(N9FDE@aol.com)