Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Kenwood PS53
Reviews: 10MSRP: 350
Description:
22.5A 13.8V power supplie (used with Kenwood TS450/690/2000)
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00104.5
W4IOA Rating: 2015-08-24
quiet Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
This power supply has been dependable since day one. I'm the 2nd owner, bought it with a TS 450 from a friend and original owner. Quiet as my Astron rs 35m, and takes up less space on the bench.

I am very happy to have been given the opportunity to purchase this power supply. It's a great addition to my shack.
PA0TVI Rating: 2012-08-25
Nice compact/reliable PS Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Bought it new, was the last one in the shop, clearence sale/bargain. Hooked it up to my TS-870. Very quite, when the temperature rises (and even in RX mode the temperature is rising quickly) the fan kicks in and the PS cools down quickly. Hardly any noice, you have to put your ear very close to the PS to hear/notice that the fan is active. Like the design, Kenwood quality. Glad I could buy it, it's no longer in production, the next generation PS-60 is based on the variable switching method. The PS-53 is the last Kenwood PS from the "old school". Reason for 4 instead of 5: I didn't/don't expect a noticeble temperature rise when my rig is only in RX mode.
KF6IIU Rating: 2010-07-11
Your basic linear PS Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Of course, this is a pricey, matching unit to your other Kenwood hardware. But it's a basic fixed linear power supply on the inside. Runs fairly warm, even at small current draws, I guess like most linear PSes, but heats up the shack noticeably compared to my Daiwa switching PS. Mine is set at about 14.4V. You can hear the fan when it comes on, but it is not loud.
WA1RAW Rating: 2008-07-21
Loud Buzzing Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned this power supply for several years. During that time I have used it with several rigs, and never come close to running it at its max output. It is extremely well built, with a nice quiet temperature-activated fan, and has a main power transformer that is actually potted, which is quality engineering that you rarely see nowadays. However, given its outrageous price, maybe it should be potted in gold, hi.

The only trouble is that my supply buzzes loudly!! In non-potted transformers you can usually cure this type ailment by readjusting a transformers mounts, or by readjusting its thru-bolts. Not this one!! Otherwise, it's a nice power supply...
VO1GXG Rating: 2008-07-08
Nice Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Quiet operation,can handle lots of abuse, runs clean runs cool and looks great!!
OE3SGU Rating: 2008-03-19
super quiet Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I am using mine to power the TS-570D. You hardly can tell its on. Just continues working. One of the things are worth the money.
GM6TVR Rating: 2005-12-28
Throw away your ear protectors. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Running the PS52, same as the 53 but only 240 volt input. Nice to run a power supply that allows you to hear the important things in the radio shack. My other well known power supplies sound like a washing machine doing a fast spin. You will not be disappointed with this one folks, nice one Kenwood,
73's - John GM6TVR / GM0FQV
www.johnblack.org
KG4RUL Rating: 2002-12-04
Quiet and Troublefree Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I use a PS53 with my Kenwood TS-2000X. As others have stated, you can hardly tell when the fan starts. The fans in my laptop and the old DEC MSDOS machine I use in the shack are MUCH noiser.

Dennis - KG4RUL
W7KPQ Rating: 2002-12-04
Nice and Quiet!!!!!! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This puppy purrs like a kitten. Very, very quiet. The fan if and when it comes on is super quiet. Never had a bit of trouble and have owned one of them for five years on a Kenwood transceiver and the other for just over a year on an Icom transceiver.
PE3HMP Rating: 2002-01-05
verry good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Used it with my TS450 and later TS690
I put some cooling paste under the sensor so the fan kicks in faster and made an extra led in the front to see if the fan is working because the fan is very quiet.

Never had anny problems with the power supplie, works great.