Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: ICOM IC-2720H

Category: Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-2720H
Reviews: 147MSRP: ???
Description:
2M/440MHz Dual Band Mobile
Product is not in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
001473.3
WP4-WR Rating: 2003-12-04
very nice radio Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought the 2710 about 10 month ago with a Hustler MX-270 mobile antena and this combo gives superior performance; I haven't had any problems at all with mine, the problems with intermod disapeared when I monitor the 2 meter band all the time in the left side (that's because the attenuator doesn't work in the right band ) and with the attenuator on; and the squelch arrow point to 2 oclock.
The power and sensivity are very good . I bought another 2720 this month for use it at home with a Hustler G6-270R. this combo works fantastic in crossband when I go mobile; still thinking bying another 2720 to my other
mobile....

N3JI Rating: 2003-11-30
Final Problem... Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Well guys, I just sent the rig back to Icom for popped finals. I reviewed this rig a while back and stand by everything EXCEPT the Mic fix. When I first did the mic swapping, there was only one guy on the repeater and he said the second mic was better. I then talked to a few others (after submitting the review, of course) and both mics sound similar with poor low frequency response.

We'll see how the repair goes -- I'm sure the final issue will be okay, but I most interested in how they address the poor TX audio issue. They received the rig 11/25, but of course they were closed for Thanksgiving Thursday & Friday. I was told 20-30 days -- we'll see. I'll submit another report when it gets back...

Joe,
N3JI

----------------------
Earlier 4-star review posted by N3JI on 2003-08-30

I'm a new owner of this rig, and frankly, because of some of the reviews here, I almost didn't get it. I'm very glad I did!! My previous dual-band rig was an Icom 2800H, and I currently have an Icom 706. I mounted the control head on the transmission hump close to the shifter in my 2000 Ford Ranger. I'd like to address the main complaints that I was concerned with:

1. Display -- I think you all are really beating it up over almost nothing. Yes, when you get slightly off to the side it get's **A LITTLE** fuzzy. It's most certainly readable, even from above and off to the left of the head. Non-issue for me.

2. Memory Storage -- Uhh, read the manual. I read it once and was able to store everything. VERY straight forward, easy to follow. I fully understand why someone would get frustrated if they tried to figure it out on their own. Also, someone said you couldn't have two VHF freq's or two UHF freq's at the same time -- that's not true. Of course, you can't listen to one while you're transmitting on the other, but that's impossible on the same band without a full size duplexer. Duh!! Cross-band works just fine.

3. Intermod -- Performance is on par with other rigs. I do get a little intermod, however, the rig has a setting to reverse the IF stage if the intermod kills your favorite repeater. Again, read the manual, folks. How many other rigs have this capability?? Well done, Icom!!

4. RF Performance/Freq Stability -- I checked the rig on an HP sevice monitor. Output power is well within acceptable limits. I was getting 48W on 2m, 35.5W on 70cm. Med & Low were also very close (within a watt). I honestly couldn't believe the frequency error -- less than 100Hz error anywhere, and usually within 30Hz. Receiver sensitivity was outstanding. On the order of -126 to -127 dBm for 12 dB of SINAD in the ham bands, worst case was approximately -113 dBm for 12 dB of SINAD at 950MHz. Excellent, in my experience. This level of sensitivity may be one of the sources of intermod -- use the RF gain/IF reverse option. It cleaned it up pretty well for me.

5. Mic Issue -- This is the reason I gave it a "4". I got the "tinny audio" reports, then I put the HM-118 from my 706 on it and it was 100% better (according to at least two people). I took the mic apart, and found that the keypad was almost completely covering the mic hole. I trimmed a little of the keypad away and the issue was solved!! I suggest anyone still using the stock HM-133 check for this.

I'm definitely glad I got the rig -- It looks very good in the truck, and I'm more than pleased with performance.

SIDE ISSUE: Does anyone know how to get into the service menu on this rig (if it even HAS one)?? I'd like to change the medium power setting to drive my Mirage 30W input amplifier a little harder. Please email me off-list...

Joe,
N3JI
WA5VRO Rating: 2003-11-23
Not impressed, Returned it to the dealer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
After much review between the Icom 2720H and the Yaesu 8800 R I decided to purchase the 2720H. Bad mistake, it did not even make it into my truck. I connected the radio to a test antenna near my computer, already was receiving intermod. The radio is also hard to work.

I took the radio back to the dealer, paid a restocking charge and purchased a Yaesu 8800R. The Yaesu beats the 2720H to pieces. I lost some money on the deal, but I am impressed by the Yaesu.

I love my Icom IC-W32A but this radio has major problems.

NC2F Rating: 2003-11-18
The Damien/Lucifer of Radios Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
It doesn't get any more evil for radios than the 2720.

The fact that iCom is aware of all the problems with the 2720 and still sells it to unsuspecting hams is criminal. More people should be asking why a mandatory product recall on this so-called radio has not been done voluntarily by iCom. I guess it is more profitable $$$$ for iCom to not be proactive in taking care of their known product problems, but instead to wait for the consumer to be unpleasantly surprised with blown finals.
AC5VG Rating: 2003-11-11
ACHK!!! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought 2 the one at home blew and i mean blew the fainals. Store kindly replaced that one tookit hame and after 6 months Achk blew its finals. Checked the atenna checked the power supply everything is as it should be. The radio in my truck blew its finals my fault bad SWR. Love the Radio when it works.
KI4CFS Rating: 2003-11-10
Solutions here fro the problems in the IC-2720H Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I am a new ham and love the look and features of the ICOM IC-2720H BUT am disapointed in the manual. It is as though is assums that you understand all the terms and how to use it (with the exception of the start up guide which is ok).

I want to keep it and called support about the problem. They said written email from users of about it make a difference so I am going to provide their email and encourage other to write if you feel the same:

amateur@icomamerica.com

Also, in the Forum are of this great web site I have started a discussion of solutions to the problems in this unit brought up here. Please check it out and consider contribution to it!

It is in the VHFUHF section titled:
Solutions to the ICOM IC-2720H 2M/440MHz Dual Bander.

and the web link is:

Take care!
Martin
KI4CFS
N3ORX Rating: 2003-10-15
I'm happy with this rig. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have had this rig for three months now. Mounted it in my Ford Ranger. It is easy to use, sounds good and the flexibility of VHF/VHF or VHF/UHF or any of the various combinations, along with the ability to monitor the downlinks of the various "eye in the sky" traffic reporters make it my favorite while commuting each day. My only gripe was with the manual. It is not clearly and logically written and layed out. I had to go through it several times, and do some trial and error work before figuring out what they meant on a lot of the instructions (and no, this is not my first radio). My previous ICOM radios have had very good manuals, this one was a disappointment. But I would not let it sway anyone from getting the radio...it is an excellent purchase and well worth the price.
N6PUO Rating: 2003-09-28
A Good Rig Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I purchased mine about 6 months ago to use as a scanner & dual bander. No troubles out of box or after. Audio is fine. A friend has one & his audio seems low but he is soft spoken. When he speaks up it is fine. I have a pretty strong voice so no problem.

My only complaint is the wide front end. Most Icoms have this same problem. We have a pager company here in Coos Bay Oregon which is known for it's dirty & high power signal. I gets into the 2720H & wipes out several freq's that I scan. Solved the problem with a Parr Electronics VHFM 152-158 filter. No more trash!

So, I like this radio a lot. Especially the control head. Well laid out & easy to use. I give it a 4 only because of the front end, although I suspect that all of the newer "full frequency coverage" radios have this problem to some extent.

Greg.....N6PUO
N8DU Rating: 2003-09-26
Unacceptable Manual, Low Audio Levels Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This rig has problems right out of the box. The first issue is that the rig modulation level is very, very low. I had to yell to get anyone to even hear me. I finally found an adjustment to make it sort of hearable but still weak. Second, the manual is one of the worst I've ever seen. For example, the rig has cross band repeat but this is not even mentioned in the manual. I had to call to find out how to use it. Another example, the manual shows how to set band edges for scanning but never tells how to activate ths scan! I will be sending this radio back to the dealer and would not suggest it to anyone that is not interested in frustration or disappointments.
AC5PS Rating: 2003-09-13
Oops! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
The finals blew! I normally don't write a review till I have had a product for a year (look at my March 2, 2003 review) I think I need to stick to that rule. All radios have problems, but this is a recurring problem with the 2720.

Ken

----------------------
Earlier 4-star review posted by AC5PS on 2003-03-02

OK, I have had the 2720 for two weeks now, what an interesting new transceiver, what I mean is it looks like Icom decided to try a diffrent approach all together, having the detachable face plate as "normal" I think that is a great idea. It gives us much more mounting options, I have a late model Dodge truck which are very radio unfriendly. There is almost nowhere to mount a transceiver, I have the main unit under the drivers seat and the the display that nobody likes on the LEFT side of the instrument panel and have no problem seeing it. I don't know anything about these displays, but it is diffrent than any I have had before. When the unit has been off and is cold or hot and you first turn it on I cannot make out the freq's, but it is wierd after only about one minute it clears up! Very strange. I know the display is not the best, but why would anyone mount it were you cannot read it? Think guys!
Intermode,,,,yes it has it, I fixed it with a PAR VHFDN152. With the radio having such a wide range of receive it is not suprizing. Here in central Texas there is a tower on every corner.
I like the fast scan, microphone and controls. The price is not bad either for a new "dual bander"

73 everyone!