Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: Yaesu FT-8900R

Category: Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Yaesu FT-8900R
Reviews: 171MSRP: 469.95
Description:
10M, 6M, 2M & 440Mhz Quad Band Radio with Dual Band Receive.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/pdf/brochures/ft_8900r.pdf
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
221714.2
W6JHC Rating: 2003-09-30
Best Yaesu mobile in a long time Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I am running this mobile and it works very well. This is the best YAESU Mobile radio in a long while. Maybe even since the FT-2500. Very similar in design layout to the Standard C5900 tri band radio out a few years ago. This radio is the first YAESU that I didn't feel like a firmware beta tester. Works perfectly out of the box. I believe I paid $369.00...a bargain for a quad band radio. The antenna is expensive $100.00. Built like a tank. Uses a single non brick Wideband final power amp transistor. Capable of 75 watts but driven to 50 watts this transistor should last a very long time. Widely available, these are much less expensive than the brick type so common on amateur radios. I have been told that the electronic design is elegant and the build quality of this radio is of commercial quality.
If you are looking for a dual band radio pony up the extra few dollars and buy the FT-8900, you won't be sorry.
KB3ITA Rating: 2003-09-05
Good So Far Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've had the rig for about a week now. The radio is absolutely great! Love it! Audio reports are fantastic, lots of memory, nice display, etc, etc.

The only thing that's wrong with my rig is everytime I turn off crossband, my audio becomes almost unrecognizable. The signal is all there, but the audio has gone on vacation. The problem goes away by simply turning off the rig and turning it back on.

Does anyone know what is causing this? KB3ITA@comcast.net
W9JFL Rating: 2003-09-01
Solid, no complaints! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Not a problem ever with this radio. Have been using as a 2m/6m/70cm base entire time (with external speaker). Always get solid reports and excellent audio. Only previous complaint was no programming software. Just received it and it programs like a charm. Love this radio. Thinking of getting its cousin (8800) for the mobile.
AP4S Rating: 2003-08-27
Junk Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Have run this rig mobile for about 6 months and am getting rid of it. Is ok if you don't touch anything. If you accidentaly bump a knob or push the wrong knob, off you go to never-never land. Good bye and good ridence.
KC8GWK Rating: 2003-08-08
excellant radio Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have owned this radio for about 9 months now and loved every minute of it. I have several other Yaesu radios including a FT-847, I would have to say this is my favorite. I guess the other reviews say it all so I will close in saying if you want the full experience, order the ADMS-2H programming kit for it. I received mine today and it is perfect!!!!! 73 Keep up the Great work Yaesu :):):)
N1YKT Rating: 2003-08-07
helpppp Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
ok, dcs has a 3 step flaw. Sensitivity could use help
KD5VGT Rating: 2003-08-07
Good so far! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've only had this radio for about a month and am running it, for the moment, off a small dual-band Radio-Shack glass mount. Even with the cheap antenna the rx/tx on 2m and 70cm are great. I bought the remote head kit for about $70 with the radio at Austin Amateur Radio. Some of the things I don't like are the lack of lighting for the buttons and the location of the mic connector. It would be better on the left side. As mentioned by others my hand obscures the screen when using the left side dials, but I am slowly getting used to using my left. I have bought a SB15 tri-band antenna but the mount I ordered won't arrive for two more weeks--major bummer! As a Tech I can't transmit on 10m yet but will enjoy listening I hope when I get an NMO mag mount for the small 10m antenna I inherited from My G'pa --- the old W6FUZ (brother's call now). Over all this radio seems well made but with some design problems that I hope can be corected with some mods or changes on newer builds.
KC5ALI Rating: 2003-07-09
Radio / Cloning Software Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've owned my Ft-8900R for about a month or so and had great results! I've even had people that I speak to tell me that I come in crystal clear.

As for the cloning software, it is now available to purchase it through RT Systems.
WA6AWZ Rating: 2003-07-07
Love it Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I really liked my FT-2600M, once I got used to the menu system. This one is the same, but I love the '8900 even more. Easily the best mobile VHF rig I've ever had.

I agree with almost all the positive reviews here, but my special likes are:
- The hyper memories are super for setting up favorite operating setups.
- The automatic muting is great for public safety monitoring, two receivers with one being quiet for the important stuff is great.
- The audio quality is great (I'm using an external speaker)
- Configurability - you can set it up the way you like it.
- Small size but big performance. Even my local intermod alley doesn't phase it.

Cons:
- bumping the left volume control turns on the internet thing. I wish I could disable it altogether unless I really wanted it.
- the knobs are small and the squelch is a challenge for my big fingers!
- I miss the "electronic" squelch of my FT-2600M, I'm guessing the 4 different bands prevent it in this rig.

All in all, not as sexy looking as the Kenwoods and Icoms, but the features and performance easily make up for it. Couldn't be happier.
WD4BRP Rating: 2003-07-04
Very pleased ! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I was looking for a duel bander for my van and had decided on the Icom 2720.

After reading about the 8900, I decided it would be nice to be able to work 10 and 6 meters.

If you shop around, you can have this nice quad band rig for less money than the Icom 2720.

The 8900 works well and I get good audio reports. The rig comes with a very good manuel that is easy to understand.

I chose the Comet uhv-6 antenna and it works well with the 8900. (dealers were out of the Comet uhv-4 at the time I purchased my radio)

I like the 8900 because it works great and represents good value for the money.

This is the first Yaesu product that I have owned, and based on my experience so far, I would recommend this fine piece of equipment.

WD4BRP - Bill