Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Astron
Reviews: 48MSRP: varies
Description:
Linear and switching DC power supplies
Product is in production
More Info: http://astroncorp.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00484.5
K4LY Rating: 2016-06-03
LS-10A 22-32V fails twice Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Last autumn I bought an Astron LS-10 to power a class E 630M 100 watt amp for beaconing nightly on WSPR using my FCC experimental license. The class E amp is the same one as used by several others and fused with a 6A fuse. The Astron PS is fused with a 10A fuse. The PS worked fine for a couple months until one night I mistakenly excited the amp on 160M, not 630M with my Kenwood TS-590S exciter. The amplifier 6A fuse blew. The Astron 10A fuse did not blow, but the PS was completely dead. I returned the PS to DX Engineering who immediately sent me a new one. In mid-spring the exact same thing happened again. With the 6 month warranty up, I was instructed to return the PS to Astron in California, which cost me $65, half the original cost of the PS. I wrote Astron the details of the two failed power supplies and asked Astron to return my money, not the PS since it was obviously a defective design and not protected by the 10A fuse. About 4 weeks later I received a check from DX Engineering. Since then I've successfully used a cheap $30 Meanwell switching PS, but it produces RFI, s9 noise spikes in the MF and lower HF bands.
KD6HUC Rating: 2013-08-08
Workhorse going on 15 years!!! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Mine was purchased at Livermore ham swap in Bay Area California in 1999. VS-50M and it has been the one piece of gear I'm willing to lug around with no complaint. I've also had other Astron power supplies with various equipment setups and they just flat out never quit. I know of one at a local repeater site that was only equipment to survive a lightning strike. I've got zero experience with the new switchers and I'm slow to wanna trade in my old friend in the hamshack...
SWMAN Rating: 2012-11-13
Great Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I also have had my SS-30 for 13 years now and the thing just keeps on going and going! No problems ever at all with it. To bad everything isnt made to last like that little unit. Keep up the good work Astron. Jim Dallas Texas W5JJG
K7NSW Rating: 2012-11-13
RELIABLE OVER THE YEARS Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Been a ham 51 years. Cannot remember when I have not had an Astron power supply. I always buy their standard units with heavy power transformers. Have used their 50, 35 and 20 amp units. Rock solid reliability. Have NEVER caused me any problems. Right now I have three in operation. No birdies - no chirps - no tweets - no vibrations - no clanks - nothing but the voltage and current they said I would get. They perform as advertised. BUT BE SMART: buy yourself an in-rush device and put it in front of your supply. Your transformer will love you and last forever.
K6CA Rating: 2010-08-20
SS-30 on for 13 years Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My SS-30 has been switched on and in use for over 13 years - so far.
Amazing power supply.
KB0XR Rating: 2010-08-18
RS 20 after about 25 years or so Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I think I bought my RS 20 back in 1985 or so. Still working fine after many, many hours of operation.
K9CTB Rating: 2010-08-15
Shack Workhorses! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own two RS-35M supplies. One was mine since new and I pulled it out of the box. It is at least 20 years old and still completely stock. No failures at all. I open it once a year to vacuum it out and adjust the meters if needed.

The second RS-35M came from that auction site. Unfortunately the seller stuffed it in a postal service flat-rate box with a small sheet of bubble-wrap and called it good. It wasn't. Bent up chassis and broken meters but otherwise, it was electrically sound. I straightened the chassis as best I could, added some new meters (Thanks, Astron) and touch-up paint and this RS-35M is as good as the other one. I've owned it about 6 years now and it has worked flawlessly! Astron stuff is very rugged and very recommended.

For me, it's personal. I'm not big on switch-mode supplies for high-current transmitters. Probably not a thing wrong with using them, I'm just a purist when it comes to linear power supplies and transmitters. There's only one choice for my high-current needs, and that's Astron. I've simply found nothing better unless it's home-brewed with extreme care. I'm not that good.

K9CTB
AA8KY Rating: 2010-01-05
The Best Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own several Astron power supplies. I wouldn't buy any other type.
All between the age of 1 and 20 years old, and they all work like the day they were purchased. A fine company!
KI4EYO Rating: 2006-09-23
Great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
These are great power supplies, all around. They put out great power, and last a long time. I bought one used, and it has never given me one bit of trouble. It has stayed on for years now and has survived many hurricaned too and still keeps on ticking.
N1OFZ Rating: 2005-06-02
Own many Astrons Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have 3 Astron Power supplies 20A, 35A and 70A. The 20 and 70 are about 10 years old and the 35 is about 5 years old. Never a problem with them that I didn't cause. I did pull too much from the 20A once and blew the bridge rectifier. A few $ and 20 minutes and I was back in business. Last year I broke the volt meter on the 70A. I called for a replacement which was to be paid COD. After two weeks it did not arrive. Astron then sent me one for free. I think the Customer Service was very good!