Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Predict
Reviews: 2MSRP: Zippo.
Description:
PREDICT is a multi-user satellite tracking and orbital prediction program written under the Linux operating system by John A. Magliacane, KD2BD. PREDICT is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License or any later version.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/predict.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
KQ6EA Rating: 2004-06-17
Keeps Getting Better! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've been using various versions of "Predict" since I started using Linux, long before anybody even knew what Linux was. John just keeps improving "Predict" with every release, and provides full support and source code if you'd like to tweak it yourself, or port it to another platform. I even have it running on my Sharp Zaurus! Easy to update the Keps, ROCK SOLID, fast, runs as a server for other applications to use, and with optional features like a vocalizer, or just about any mapping program you'd like to use, this is THE satellite tracking program for Linux!
WV1K Rating: 2002-12-11
Awesome. Too bad DOS version has no map or autotracking ! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Yes it is certainly unfortunte that the DOS verion has no maps, automatic doppler correction, or rotator control like the Linux version appears to !

But I'm not complaining. Don't take it the wrong way. And the only way I can tell you how good Predict is to compare it to my other satellite software.

Predict is easily updatable, runs without crashing, has a SMALL footprint; it is everything Nova for Windows is NOT (see my review).

The interface is easy to set up and intuitive.

Nova's user interface looks like it was written by a PhD writing for PhDs in some scientific or engineering field.

Predict is used by many reputable agencies; specifics are given. Not so with Nova and the author of Nova is touchy about criticism at best.

Three emails on problems yielded NO reply and another person who recently questioned the reason why alomost every update of Nova requires a complete reconfiguration of your user settings in Nova yielded a sarcastic public reply.

People at a famous national ham radio organization have told me the that same non reaction/touchy reaction have occurred when they have had issues with Nova's operation as well.

Got sarcasm ?

Interesting when other people give their work away and we fork out 50 bucks for Nova to crash, the maps to misalign, the doppler frequency correction to not work properly for UO-14 despite repeated updates, etc.

I hope ARRL got a cut since I bought it from them after NLSA did not acknowledge three attempts to leave messages to but it from them directly.

Oh yes, and the size of that download DOUBLED recently, despite claims it had shrunk (or was it just the maps).

If you run LINUX or don't mind not having maps under DOS (opens in a window on Windows), stick with John's software. I wish I had.