Manager

More Info: http://N/A
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00184.6
W5FKW Rating: 2015-02-05
High noise while under load Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased this power supply with the FTdx3000. I operated it for 2 1/2 months before I realized the noise I was hearing in the shack, was coming from the PS. It appears to be quiet when not under load, but put a load on it and it is as louder than any PS I have ever owned. No band noise, physical noise from the PS. I contacted Yaesu and explained the situation but to this date I have received no reply. I operate a lot at night, when the neighborhood is quiet and the noise from the PS is definitely a distraction. I have 2 RS-35M PS's running various equipment and they are quiet as a mouse. This PS wakes up the mouse and he begins to roar.
K1TWH Rating: 2014-03-25
Solid Performer Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've been using an FP-30B within an FT-897D for about a year. No RF Hash even on 160M. No noises on any band thus far. Makes the FT-897D into a very compact, very easy to move package. Would buy one again. -K1TWH
KB4MTO Rating: 2014-03-25
Great PSU Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had mine for about 5 years now and I haven't had any problems with it, including noise. At first I wasn't sure, but one weekend I took it out to a horse farm in the middle of nowhere, and using the FP-30 the radio was as quiet as any HF rig I have ever heard. Since then I have taken my radio to the North Georgia mountains and had the same experience. My noise problem is from the town home I live in, not the PSU.

I highly recommend this PSU for the FT-897D.

Hank Lambert
KB4MTO / TA5ZC
KD8MRU Rating: 2012-10-24
Great onboard PSU Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Like others, I purchased the FP-30 to replace an external 25 Amp PS for my FT-897D. Once I put it in over 2 years, I've never taken it out. Little pricey, however it's been great for me to travel with.
STAYVERTICAL Rating: 2010-03-31
I can't believe its a switcher Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After buying my first FT897D I decided to use it as my main base station rig. After trying a few outboard 13.8 volt PSU's which were all too noisy, I bought a Yaesu FP30 bolt on PSU.

Installing it was just a matter of taking off the bottom plate of the battery compartment underneath the rig, and bolting it on.
Then take the short DC lead coming from the PSU and plug it into the FT897 DC input socket.
It melded perfectly with the rig, looking like it had come that way from the factory.

But it was a switcher, so I feared the worst.
What a difference! It was much better than any of my outboard switching PSUs'
I have not come across any chronic birdies, but I operate mainly on HF and 6 meters. I am sure some must exist, but they don't raise awareness in my operations, unlike some of my other PSUs'.

If you want to run it off DC, or an external PSU, just pull out the DC plug and plug in the new one.

You can't have the internal batteries if you install this psu, but in my case, that was not an issue.

I have two FT897Ds' and both now have FP30 psu's installed without any problems so far (2 years).
Having this PSU installed makes the FT897D a great little complete ham station in a bag, especially if you are space limited for your station.

If you are not concerned with a small, integrated PSU, the Yaesu FP1030A 25Amp 13.8V linear PSU is a very RF quiet, but very large, heavy option.

For an integrated PSU solution however, the FP30 does the job very well.

LU5DDX Rating: 2009-08-07
exelente !!! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
nada de ruido , nada de riple , lineal , no calienta para nada , siempre entrega 13.8 con 100 o con 5 watts .. un lujo para el ft-897d .. estoy muy contenta con ella .. nunca recomiendo nada pero esta fuente seguro que si .. saludos jorge
LU1DAW Rating: 2008-03-10
Perfect for me. Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
The 4 months ago and I have no problem, it does no noise or interference in any band.
Very practised at the time of transport the equipment to another QTH.
Besides, makes the team "think" more than one inch high, it is more comfortable for me.
Best 73´s
Rodrigo
LU1DAW/EB3BGM
OZ1IDJ Rating: 2008-01-18
5 + Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have no noise from FP-30 C.
I test the FT897D direct to batteries and ther is any difference.
Der er ikke støj fra min FP-30 c,den er testet med batteri og der er ikke foreskel,det er en god lille ting yaesu temet har lavet.
RADIO_RANDY Rating: 2007-09-12
Still noisy on 6 meters. Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
As mentioned in a previous post, I sent my FP-30 supply in to Yaesu for their standard "noise reduction" repairs, under warranty. During the September VHF QSO Party (2007), I was still getting an S8 noise level, on 50.125 MHz, generated by the supply. This was after getting the unit back from the factory. I ended up doing 99% of my operating off of my car's battery as I could not hear even moderately strong signals while using the supply. The noise, so far, has only been noticeable on 6 meters but, I haven't used it on HF much at all. 2 meters and 440 seem unaffected by the supply. My recommendation: if you are purchasing the FT-897D for "portable" VHF/UHF operating...don't purchase the FP-30 internal supply or, at least, plan on using an external supply or batteries.

----------------------
Earlier 2-star review posted by RADIO_RANDY on 2007-06-25

After a few months of owning an FT-897D with the FP-30 internal supply, I've confirmed the presence of RF hash from the unit.
Up until this Field Day, I've simply ignored the problem but, our 6 Meter station was very handicapped by noise radiated by the microphone cable. We switched to battery power and when the FP-30 was turned off, the ambient noise went from an S9 to an S0.
Before anyone decides to argue or deny the existence of this problem, you should know that Yaesu techs have confirmed the problem over the phone with me.
I am in the process of sending my radio in for the fix and will update this post with the results of the factory's repair.
Other than the noise problem, I have to agree with all the positive responses other users have posted on the site.
G7IZR Rating: 2007-08-26
Great and quiet Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
No noise here. Had it for around 8 months and it is fine. I have also tested the 897 directly from batteries to compare the two side by side and I can't tell any difference in signal noise...