Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00303.1
N6QWP Rating: 2016-06-14
DON'T BUY! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Seemed to work fine for a short while, then fan started making loud noise for first minute of use. Quiet after that, but first minute of startup is annoying and distracting. When loaded up at 100 watts (TS-430) works on SSB...BUT...power steadily declines to about 2/3 output until getting to 10 amps or less! CAN NOT HANDLE STEADY CW OR AM power requirements. "POS" get an ASTRON!
W0JLS Rating: 2013-05-17
Nice Product Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This is my second, first was a reform-lasted 5 years, hard use. Meters great, could be lighted-would be nice. Would buy another, recommended.
KA9UCN Rating: 2010-08-15
works well cheaply built and be able to repair before buying Time Owned: more than 12 months.
They are what they are . ECONOMY power supplies. That said they work well. The voltage regulation is good. The fan noise is not to bad. The heat is not excessive when running a Kenwood 120 in ssb.

I have had mine a PS26-KX for several years. It was used when I got it . I have not treated it well. It has been pulled off the bench loned out and bumped around in a car for several months, Put in a non heat storage aria and generally used for anything that required a power supply.

The problems I have found is I have had to replace the 5k ohm pot that adjust the voltage and it does not like excessive rf. I use ladder line the grounding has to be very good or the on cretin bands I will get rf in the shack . On rare occasion it will turn the over current light on and the only way to recover is to cycle power.

I would buy another.
KU2US Rating: 2010-03-14
Works for me! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own a Pyramid PS-36KX. Owned it for 3 years. It runs my Alinco HF DX77, a scaf filter and a 20 DB pre-amp all at the same time..No problems, quiet fan..A work horse.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KU2US on 2007-08-13

I have the PS-36KX model. NO problems what-so-ever. Cooling fan is quiet, meters are accurate, and when pushed, gets warm, NOT hot. The polarity alarm is great. I hooked up a rig backwards, the supply sounded an alarm, and shut down before my equipment was damaged. This guy puts out about 32 amps tops, and handles a 36 amp surge. I paid $99.00 new and dont regret it. Beats $149.99 for the nearest competitor. It appears the newer Pyramids are built better with a few more features. Maybe thats why I did not experience any problems like the former posters.
K3CLT Rating: 2010-03-14
Not very good Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I had one also and it did the same thing. It went up in smoke. I got a deal with the area rep and got a bigger one. It was acting funny also. I checked the volt meter and it was reading 14 volts. I checked the output with a meter and found it was only running at 11 volts. I turned up the output to 14 volts and the meter was reading 15 volts. this one is now working OK. I think that operating the radio at 100 watts with the voltage being low is what killed the other unit.
I suggest that the output voltage of any PS be checked with a good VOM.

----------------------
Earlier 3-star review posted by K3CLT on 2009-04-21

First let me tell the other poster that the warranty information I have indicates that the unit is warrantied for 2 years.
I have used my supply a couple of times and I would get an overload light from time to time. This morning I wanted to check into a net using a new wire antenna I had just installed. I checked the swr and let the auto tuner do its thing. I started to talk and after about 10 seconds the power went off and the PS started to buzz and smoke rolled out of it. This was with my 100 watt HF rig with 20 amps draw.
I have it packed up to ship back but am not happy about the fact that I have to pay shipping both ways. I was looking on line and saw a Pyramid 30 amp switching supply for $65.00 new from a dealer. I checked the reviews here and saw people had the same problem with them. One guy wrote that Pyramid tech support told him that the 30 amp supplies were only really capable of 20 amps.
I guess I will have to see what the Tech Support people have to say.
KI4FIA Rating: 2010-03-14
They don't last! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've had this model for about a year. Used it to power an IC-910H which I never run more than 50 watts since I have the IC-910H driving a 350watt amp. (Amp on a Tokyo Hy-Power supply -quality!)

Protection light would come on often. Well today it blew its fuse. Put new fuse in, turned PS on (nothing connect to output) it blew the fuse as soon as I turned it on. JUNK.

This is the second Pyramid I've had that died the very same death.

N7ZM Rating: 2009-04-21
Poor Quality Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Had one in the 80's.....learned my lesson well. If you don't want to be writing about your Pyramid Supply Mishaps here, spend a little more and buy Astron. You always get what you paid for in Quality, workmanship, and dependability. And always over buy in your needs in amp draw because of what you may need in the furure.

KB8ASO Rating: 2008-11-20
Transformer blew! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I had mine for approx 6 months when the transformer primary opened up. It was used lightly and infrequently. Out of warranty and out of luck. The replacement transformer cost more than the power supply cost in the first place. Junked it. Buy Astron. Built like a tank and just keep working 24/7 year after year.
K1CJS Rating: 2008-11-20
Bought used and 'repaired' Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have the PS-21KX version. Solid as a rock. The only thing I found was that the fan was worn, and the circuitry to run it (was a 6 volt fan) was heating up. So I eliminated both the fan circuit and the fan and put a larger 12 volt muffin fan in it.

This supply runs the VHF/UHF part of my shack for the past 2 years with no problem whatsoever. I have heard the voltage adjust pot caused problems in the Pyramid supplies, but this one doesn't have that feature.

I've had one other Pyramid supply--they're principally made as a bench supply for use where units are repaired and tested (as evidenced by the front mounted power terminals) but is still good as a shack supply.
KC0ZZH Rating: 2008-11-20
Budget powersupply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own the PS-26KX version and found it to be adequate for my operations. Found it on eBay new for around $95 tax title and license so I figured it would be a good deal for the price.

I've owned two smaller Pyramids that preformed great for what they were intended for back in my Shortwave days. I like being able to adjust voltage and the meters are pretty accurate. The fan is quiet and no ab-normal noises have emanated from the unit.

It powers a Kenwood TS-440SAT and a TS-130S without any problems even using 100w CW. Get's a tad warm when transmitting for extended amounts of time on CW or digital modes, but nothing to be worried about.

The unit has preformed as well as expected for me. I guess Pyramid's quality control leaves a lot to be desired after reading all the reviews here, but I have a good one and I intend to keep it around for years to come. If your a ham on a budget like I am, it wouldn't hurt to check on one of these...I'm glad I did.