Manager

Reviews For: Astron VS-50M

Category: Power Supplies

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Astron VS-50M
Reviews: 10MSRP: 500 (CDN)
Description:
-Variable (5v-15v DC) linear power supply
-38Amp constant 50Amp peak @ 13.8V.
-6" x 13 3/4" x 11"
-46lbs
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.astroncorp.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00104.9
VA2DW Rating: 2012-05-31
very solid dc power supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
One of the best classic transformer dc power supplies for ham radio use with adjustable output voltage and with control meters on the front panel. Very solid state made product from Astron on the market to day at very affordable price.
A bit heavy but is generally designed not for portable application.
I have it in use since 2000 and not a single problem ever yet.
It feeds my 200 watts ts480hx at full output power at 40 amps all the time when I am not portable and plus some other gear and not even feels warm enough.
Really it is a working horse and I like it and for sure would recommend it to any ham.
Since I had some problems with switching PS before I decided to get back to classic transformer design and never regretted that and from now on I will never buy switching PS for my gear.

73 Toly
W8SPM Rating: 2008-02-01
Great Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've used Astron Amps for almost 30 years and currently using a VS-50M ! Fantastic supply and have had in use for a few years 1 Recently bought another one as backup for my station ! These Astron Supplys are the most reliable made today !

Sam W8SPM
N3OQD Rating: 2007-11-02
A winner indeed Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Back about two years ago I picked this unit up slightly used at a local hamfest for $165. Exellent build quality. Made to last for years. It does its job elegantly and quietly. Nice oversize components and heatsinks. The ratings here only go to five, I give it a six. I would recommend this to any friend, ham or not.
WX4C Rating: 2006-10-09
Built like a Mack Truck Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had two Astron Power Supplies for four years. The VS-50M and the VS-35M. They power everything in my Shack. They put out clean DC day after day and have never have had a problem. The only improvement I could suggest would be lighted Meters.

WX4C
VE6XL Rating: 2006-04-16
Continues to work great Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned this power supply for several years (see review back in 2003).

It is turned on/off daily and used under light to medium load (2-25 amps). It does not heat up much even under heavier loads.

External and internal pictures can be seen on my website.

VE6XL
www.ve6xl.ca

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by VE6XL on 2003-07-29

I have had the Astron power supply only for a limited time however I am very pleased with how well it was built.

Pros:
-Very generous heat sinks on both sides and rear
-Solid metal cabinet
-Well soldered connections
-Dedicated ground screw/clamp
-Can be used in series
-Handles rated load with a good cushion
-Accurate meters for load and voltage

Cons:
-Only one set of binding posts on rear
-Power switch (I am being very picky here)

I will submit another review once I have used it more, however no surprises here it seems like a well made unit.
N5NPO Rating: 2005-03-12
cant beat it with a stick Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have been using these on the work bench at a two way radio shop for the past 4 plus years. I power everything from a HT to RF PA for repeaters. I even charge batteries with them. If you service radios, this thing is a must! You can not go wrong.
KB5SXH Rating: 2004-05-17
A workhorse Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this power supply used from a gentleman on e-bay who had it for a few years already. It has been in continuous use for the two years I've had it, serving as both my primary supply for my hf, vhf, and uhf, as well as bench duty. I have, as the specs stated, ran it at max load and minimum input and viewed the ripple on an osciliscope. It gave me about a 1.5mv ripple, at about 14.8v out, with about a 50A load, with an input of around 105VAC. This is handily below the specified 5mv p-p ripple.

The heat sinks are outstanding, and I've never managed to get this thing warmer than around 105F.

This power supply is well worth the money, and for really not too much more than what Icom wants for it's PS125, you can run your whole shack.
K9FTB Rating: 2004-01-29
Perfect DC, Perfect Reliability Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had my 50M for 2.5 years now. During that time I guess the power supply has been unplugged from the AC mains only during basement cleaning, and the big Northeast power outage last August.

After looking at the output with a scope under the load of my K2/100 key down full power output, there was virtually no ripple and no voltage variation (millivolts only).

We can I say - this big guy has his own table to sit on behind the shack table and just outputs clean DC. Since this brute is so heavy I thought he deserved his own "place."

I like the capabilty, although I haven't used it, to vary the output current and of course the output voltage.

KB2ZRB Rating: 2003-10-30
Great power supply Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have nothing bad to say about this power supply.

Pro's
No rf noise
Next to no fan noise
Very stable power output
Variable output
Good gauges

Cons (O.K. I am being really picky here)
Not for those with a bad back (it is very heavy)

This power supply does what it needs to, with plenty of extra capacity. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I needed it. It has none of the problems that are so common in switching power supplies, which is why I bought it. I would highly reccomend it to anyone who needs a high quality base station power supply.
W2QH Rating: 2003-09-16
heavy duty Time Owned: more than 12 months.
owned mine for years, 5plus. hardly any use on it, but absoultely no problems with it to date.

cons
only 1 set of binding posts, which are located in the rear. This for me is a big pain. the case can not be easily modified to move a set to the front.