Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4008
Reviews: 20MSRP: $79.95
Description:
A RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all your 12 VDC equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Anderson PowerPole connectors. Standardize all of your 12 VDC connections using the amateur radio ARES & RACES, RSGB, ARRL PowerPole system. The RIGrunner 4008 is rated at 40 amps maximum and has 8 outlets. It has precision indicators of over or undervoltage with an audible alert. Each outlet is fused with blown fuse illumination.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.westmountainradio.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00204.6
K4FX Rating: 2019-02-21
Excellent Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I love this device! We all know what a royal pain it is to add a rig to a power supply. I have a 70amp power supply. It will run a lot of stuff. The perfect candidate for a 4008. Get a quality crimper, and quality connectors, you will not have any problems. You can disconnect the DC power by unplugging one plug. This unit has a 13.8 volt led indicator and it sounds an audio alarm should the VDC get out of spec.

More and more gear is coming from the factory with power poles. You might as well get on board!
N4TL Rating: 2017-12-16
great Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I installed the RIGrunner 4008 in May of 2008. It works great and I have had no problems with it.
W0RUS Rating: 2015-01-09
Nice product Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
After returning a MFJ panel that was defective. I decided to go with the RIGrunner. Solid unit with 8 positions for my shack.
Paid $120 as of yesterday at a major outlet. This price included a 8 gage jumper to connect to your power supply. Also included some power poles for you to assemble and hook up any none power pole power cords you may currently have.
These panels are a nice way to organize your connections plus have added protection, rather than have your poles on your supply stacked with several power leads nearly crossing your positive with the negatives.
N0IKD Rating: 2014-04-20
It's working for me Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
My radio shack is in an off grid cabin where everything runs off 12vdc.
Purchasing the rigrunner and a bag of powerpoles simplified my life considerably. Besides my Ham rigs I also power a small LED TV, AM/FM stereo and Sirius Satelite radio receiver. I chopped off the wall warts and spliced on the powerpoles. Even the LED and CFL lighting runs through the rigrunner. This is not a big home. It is a very small cabin with all of these items occupying a corner of the room. Not fancy but very efficient and much safer with the rigrunner. I soldered the connectors and have had no issues assembling them or with them "falling out". I am quite pleased with the 4008 and will be purchasing a 4012 when I run out of outlets.
K0LTZ Rating: 2013-05-05
Great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Not sure how I got by without one before. Works flawlessly, and I got mine used! If you use powerpoles, you need this!
W2NSF Rating: 2013-04-09
Like a rock! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Just like the Astron power supply that feeds it, this eight-position rig runner just keeps on doing what it's supposed to. Can't ask for anything more! Had mine for about ten years, now.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by W2NSF on 2004-04-19

I've been using this system for six months, now and I find the RigRunner and PowerPoles an extremely useful and efficient way to manage your DC power hookups. I love the way you wind up with both a plug and a socket with just one type of component. No more fishing around for males and females. There is a learning curve with the connectors, but when you're done, it's well worth it. Some tips from my experience: 1) make adapters for your "lug" needs, by using short pieces of stiff, solid-conductor wire and soldered-on wire terminals; 2) after crimping AND soldering the powerpole inserts, use the smooth jaws of your crimping tool to reshape the insert back to a round shape - that will make it easier to insert into the plastic holder; 3) keep a picture of the correct insert/plastic holder configuration handy when soldering up new plugs/sockets; 4) use a large jeweler's screwdriver to assist inserting the inserts into the sockets, especially when connecting smaller, braided wire; 5) once you're happy with your completed plug configuration, put a drop of contact cement on the groove before final assembly; 6) when making free-standing plugs and sockets (I have one on my small gel cell battery as a charging adaptor) use a piece of stiff wire to make a movable plug/socket lock, by inserting it into the little holes in between the black and red sides. (Send me an email and I'll send you a photo of this.) Anyhow, I'm sold on this setup and I haven't even used the RigRunner or PowerPoles outside my shack, yet. Can't wait 'til good WX and field day. In the meantime, the DC power management inside the shack is very organized, safe, and neat.
KJ4EOZ Rating: 2009-06-15
hard at 1st Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Well , I have to say at 1st I did not like the power poles but when I put 2 or 3 togther it got easy and worked very nice . This is my 1st rigrunner and I have to say im hooked !!!
I have a FT-2800m , FT-8800R & my IC-706MKIIG
And i love it . The one I got is the new 4005H
and im running the rigrunner off my Astron RS-50M . It's nice to have only one set of wires hooked to the Astron . I say if you have never used a rigrunner get one , but take your time the 1st one you do will not work out all that well but when you start knowing what your doing you will love it ..
73s all KJ4EOZ
N5CSU Rating: 2008-12-07
Great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I upgraded to the 4008 when I ran out of slots on the 4005! Both have operated flawlessly for several years. Highly recommended.
WA1DMX Rating: 2008-11-10
OK But Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I recently purchased the 12 position version.
The 12 v input wire which is a 10 or 12 guage wire keeps popping off the input connector while installing other connectors. I have the wire itself tye-wrapped to the power supply case so it doesn't move!!!
I wouldn't recommended this product for mobile use!!!
Otherwise.... sure beats wiring in-line fuses for each device.
Needs improvement on the method of "locking" the connectors together.
K3CN Rating: 2008-10-13
Works great in this shack Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have used the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4008 with Anderson Powerpoles for five years now with no problems. In the shack I have 3 HF radios a scanner and VHF/UHF rig plus other equipment and a backup battery all equipment connected to the Rigrunner. Keeps things well organized and simple. I can't imagine operating without this setup. Highly Recommend!