Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Pyramid PS-25
Reviews: 6MSRP:
Description:
25-amp constant, 27-amp surge fully adjustable 0-14v DC power supply with builtin DC current and DC voltage metering.
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0063.2
W4KVW Rating: 2016-08-29
DEAD & Disposed Of Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Well it was just OK for a few years but never pulled anywhere near what it was suppose to without the alarm going off.Well it no longer alarms nor does it do anything.It went boom when I turned it on one day & was not repairable.Parted it out & trashed it.This has been what has now happened to every Pyramid Power Supply I have ever owned.I must say their quality control or lack of quality is consistent over the years.Avoid the brand & buy an ASTRON in the beginning & save time & money in the long run.Several friends have also had more than a few issues with the Pyramid brand so it's obvious they don't build quality products.

----------------------
Earlier 3-star review posted by W4KVW on 2013-09-16

Well I use this supply for my VHF & UHF rigs & it does OK for that.The DC Voltage meter sticks & needs a tap whenever it is tuned back on or adjusted.Wish it had a cigarette lighter plug for a few items.Mine is the PS-25G Gold Series.The overload alarm works but I think well before being maxed out for what it should hold.I traded for this unit used & don't have but about $30 in it so for that it does a great job.Prefer my ASTRON RS-70M but this gives me a supply on another desk.Don't think I would buy it NEW unless the price was REALLY low.
K6SDW Rating: 2016-08-29
Update Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Nothing new to add to my 2003 review other than this power supply hasn't missed a day of service since I bought it new back in the mid 1990's

When I've accidentally shorted it, unit does what it's suppose to do and immediately shut down.

I would say I've gotten my money's worth

Cheers All!
W0HSN Rating: 2008-11-12
3/5 Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Hmmm! I have used these supplies for a number of years and have found them to be OK (in a pinch) would rather use an Astron. But overall they are cheap made. Whats more, I have never been able to find out who manufactures this stuff. Anyone know?
N4AEQ Rating: 2007-08-20
Great offering from pyramid Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought a Icom 706mk2g when they first came out
and have been running it full output through hours of ragchewing at a time off the PS-25.
I also traded for a Astron 20a supply as a backup but have never had to use it, I believe
this is one of the better pyramid supplies.
WB8RKQ Rating: 2004-05-23
good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
i had the ps-20 amp power supplie and still have it today has allways worked great i would buy a pyramid and a sec,they are a good sullpie and they are cheep what more do you want right 73
VE6XL Rating: 2003-11-16
Buyer Beware.... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My experience with these power supplies is not a good one.

Power supply shorted out when turned on the first time. Poorly soldered connection shorted out.

Rating is incorrect. Should be 15amp constant 20amp peak. I am not sure how they can claim a 25amp rating, it gets much much too hot at anything above 15amps.

Holes drilled in cabinet for alarm buzzer have no alarm behind them! The alarm is located far inside the unit.

The voltage and current controls do not work well. The current control causes oscillation rather than shutting the unit down.

When opening the unit the transformer looks like it was used prior to being installed in the power supply.

Lower grade components used throughout.

This having been said, if you are NOT using it for radio equipment or electronics it may provide you with what you need.