Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Pyramid PS-14KX
Reviews: 17MSRP: 39.99
Description:
13.8 Volt DC 12 Amps continuous, 14 Amps peak.
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00174.2
WB3KTW Rating: 2012-09-07
Flakey ??, but economical Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Bought one to power an RF Concepts RFC-2-23 VHF amplifier (6 to 8 amp load). Seems to work OK for that purpose just fine. Then I WANTED to use it to power up individual work lights for my tractor (about 4 amps each) to determine the total load and the minute I hook up the 14 amp surge/12 amp continuous power supply, it signals overload condition, beeps, protection LED lights up, ...
Does not seem to like 55W Halogen H3 bulbs at all!
It probably senses what 'appears' to be a short way too quickly and triggers protection. In my humble opinion, a design flaw.
VE7KNQ Rating: 2012-07-30
Dependable Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned this power supply for well over 12 years and it has never once failed me in that time. I use it for powering my vhf/uhf radios and other low power equipment. Definately recommend this power supply.
N3OQD Rating: 2012-02-16
General overview Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Another ham gave me this DOA. Blown fuse. It had one diode shorted and one pass transistor leaky. So I decided to replace the diodes and transistors as a set rather than just the bad individuals, Works now but not too thrilled with the heatsink being rather small for the task. at 13.7v I loaded it for 20 minutes with a 5.11 ohm power resistor. With my IR sensor, it showed about 60c between the transistors. Without a mounted fan, it is definitively not a continuous duty 12 amp supply. Cute though.
KI4FIA Rating: 2010-03-14
Would Not Buy Again. Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've now had 2 Pyramid power supplies (this model and another).

I had this model powering a couple scanners, after current drain about 4 amps. Power supply lasted about a year then start blowing fuses. As soon as you put in a new fuse and turn it on, it fries the fuse with nothing connected to the output. Both supplies did the same thing.

Will not buy any Pyramid products again.
KJ4HGN Rating: 2009-11-27
Great Power Supply Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've had this for 10 months and have never had any issues with my PS-14KX. This is great for any size shack and for any mobile out there that's uses under 65 watts. I have also powered my HT from this! Very, very pleased with my purchase.
KC9FSH Rating: 2009-02-08
Great power supply! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This was the first power supply I bought after I became licensed. It worked great to power my 2m/440 rigs at 50watts, which pulled roughly 10 amps . I never had this power supply kick out or go into protection until I failed to check out how much current my new IC-706mkiig would pull, so really it was my fault for trying to make it work outside of it's specs.

I upgraded power supplies so I would have one to power my HF rigs. My father still uses this power supply, for non-radio related things, and has had no issues at all.

If you are new to the hobby, or just short on cash get this power supply. You won't be disappointed, just make sure that you get a power supply that can provideo the amperage your radio needs.
KJ4AQV Rating: 2008-10-11
a work horse of a power supply Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This is the best supply for a new ham to get? It have held up for me great. It will take it.
K5ETH Rating: 2008-04-28
True bargain Time Owned: more than 12 months.
As an OT, I'm partial to linear power supplies and this one is a fine example of a well-built one. I've run 3 Motorola Radius transceivers all at once (only xmit on one at a time) with one of these power supplies for over two years and never had a hiccup from it!
WA8MEA Rating: 2007-08-13
Great supply! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This model power supply powered a 2 meter SSB 100 watt amp for MANY years. Nice, quiet, efficient. Ran cool. I accidently shorted the positive and negative a couple of times. Only damage: blown fuses.

(Speaking of fuses: I saw that someone had a "cow" over his Pyramind "dead out of the box". They do ship them with the fuses and fuse cover in separate baggie. Probably the reason why his PS was "dead out of the box. Hi.)
KI4MYD Rating: 2006-07-24
Nice Buy Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I've owned mine for a little over 3 months or so now, and must say it performs very well. I use it consistently for talking with 25-50 watts with my 2M FM rig which pulls 5 amps on 25w, and 10 amps on 50w and the power supply has never went into protection mode.

I also use this one to power my HF rig, running 65w SSB and still have yet to have any problem out of the power supply. Yeah, the heat sink gets hot on the back, but it has never overheated or let me down.

Great unit for the price.