Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0054.2
VE7REN Rating: 2018-10-22
good supply for lower needs Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
this unit will power a 2 meter radio at 50 watts or less,although it prefers medium power . I got this from an estate sale and use it for medium power 2 meter just fine. good for everything under 7.5-9 amps draw.. maybe a handheld,mobile,or meters,etc,etc. they are built the same as the larger units with the same build quality. excellent.not for hf radios wanting more then 40 watts. good for what its intended
KI7N Rating: 2009-07-29
Great for 25 years Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I purchased my RS-10A about 25 years ago. It's been totally trouble-free.

It's on more than it's been off during that time frame, and it's still running. It's powered every 2 meter rig I've owned, and it's also been used for powering HF rigs for medium power output.

Great supplies. I also have an RS-35M and an RS-12A.
N9DO Rating: 2006-12-09
Works for me! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Purchased my Astron RS-10A new around 1980. It has worked perfectly every day since. Never replaced the switch, never blown a fuse. My unit does have a panel fuse located on the back above the ac power cord. However when I hooked the PS to a 50 watt 2m rig, the heat sink began to get warmer than I liked, so I placed a small ac muffin fan on the back so air would blow on the heat sink. Now it's cool as a cucumber. I agree, purchase larger than you think you'll need.
KC0NPF Rating: 2005-07-23
Works fine Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The only reason I'm replacing mine is that it's just not enough to run the HF rig. It did get slightly warm when transmitting 50w on 2m, but i don't mind fans at all, nice and cool now with a little muffin fan on the back.

If you're looking into power supplies, get bigger than you think you need, that way you don't have to worry about adding power supply when you add radio's.

I was told the power switch on (almost) all astron units sometimes likes to die, so i could just leave it on all the time or put it on a power strip and use that as a master switch.. whatever works

73 de KC0NPF
W0AV Rating: 2003-11-10
Doubtful Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought the supply new from a local distributor about a month ago and sold it to a user who returned it after a few days, complaining about a "loud hum," stating that it "had blown the fuse in the 13.8V line to his base radio.

Bench testing the supply, it appeared to be quite normal. I replaced it with a Maxon switching supply and the customer is happy.

Opening the unit to inspect the innards, I was surprised to find NO PRIMARY FUSE, in spite of the fact that the schematic (dated 1988) showed a 3A fuse and the nameplate/serial plate stated that it was fused at 3A.

The local distributor referred me to Astron, however my my e-mail to Astron remains unanswered.