Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Samlex RPS 1215
Reviews: 4MSRP:
Description:
A 15-20 amp linear (non-switching) power supply. The same shape and size as an Astron RS20A
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0044.5
KE7KPB Rating: 2009-09-05
It's a keeper Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had this unit for three years now and it has never given me one ounce of trouble. I bought it off E-Bay so I was a little nervous about it's quality. I run a Yaesu 857D and a Kenwood Tr7950 with fans and this thing just don't quit. I do like the front binding post for easy switching.I do wish they installed a front meter for current draw bt I could easily add one.
73s
Bob.
KE7KPB
VA6LJH Rating: 2009-02-16
Good for the price Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
If you are looking for ultra tight regulation and superb build quality this is not it. If you are looking for a power supply for a 100-watt transceiver that is quiet you may like this one. I bought this to replace an MFJ-4125 that performed well, but I found the fan noise was being transmitted and otherwise annoying. Mine was a volt low on output when I got it and rather than send it back, I proceeded to remove the case top and adjust the variable resistor. The voltage jumped around between 12 and 14 volts. I cleaned the pot and the jumping stopped. I noticed later that when I first turned on the power supply the voltage was 12.9 and gradually increased over the next 20 minutes to 13.8. An email from Samlex suggested I try replacing the pot. Now the voltage is stable from turn on. At 17 amps the voltage drops 1/10 volt from no load. The noise level is below 10mv p-p during receive. I believe the 15 amp rating may be a thermal limit as the measured transistor dissipation is well below what 4 2N3055’s can handle, and running the IC756 at full power RTTY for some minutes posed no problems. The heat sink is rather small for the power dissipation, so if one is to run digital or RTTY or any other long-term full power application, a fan might be in order. The over current protection works. The over voltage protection is a zener across the output. I hope it works like Samlex says. It wouldn’t hurt to check the soldering on one. It is not the best, but adequate.
VE7REN Rating: 2008-12-07
excellent Time Owned: more than 12 months.
owned this supply for 4 years running 746pro and other numerous meters,2 meter rigs ,etc. runs quiet,and purrs along . would i buy another?? you bet. for around 150$ give or take,this unit is well worth the money.
NE0P Rating: 2004-01-29
Works great so far Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I had heard of Samlex through their switching power supplies, but didn't know that they also made linear supplies. I found this one on ebay for less than $15, as it was untested. It needed a simple $5 repair, and it was off and running. I bought it to power the FT100D with while I was using the Astron SS30 for the VHF amp. Sold the FT100D, sold the amp, and sold the Astron, and now only use this amp for my TS-B2000.

It is rated at 15 amps continuous and 20 amps intermittant, like the Astron RS20. It is also the same shape and size as a RS20, except that the binding posts are on the front, and the power switch lights up. It also has some vents on the top that are missing from the Astron.

So far it has performed perfectly. A generally prefer to have the binding posts on the rear, but having them on the front does make it easier to switch power cords in and out. I have run the TS-B2000 full power on WSJT with no problem, although the heat sink does get pretty warm.

In my opinion, this is a suitable alternative to Astron, altough Astrons are also great supplies. If you find one at a good deal like I did, get it. WIll handle any 100 watt rig, no problem.