Manager

More Info: http://www.samlexamerica.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
131534.4
W6SWO Rating: 2019-06-24
DOESN'T TAKE TO BLUNDERS! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have an SEC-1223 that I used for powering smaller equipment, and as a bench supply while testing and troubleshooting gear. It worked fine for that purpose. However, this year I took it out in the field for Field Day. My buddy had his Alinco DM-330MVT on the table next to my SEC-1223 and at some point the output of both power supplies was inadvertently connected together with Power Pole pigtails we each had on our PS's. Of course, that was operator error, but my 1223 got smoked while his DM-330 didn't. Obviously his Alinco had better protection against backwards current flow than my Samlex. The Samlex's internal fuse blew, but it also charred one of the large capacitors to charcoal and who knows what else. Lessons learned: 1) Don't be a dumb-a$$ and connect two power supplies together, and 2) pay the extra cash and get the better protections a more expensive unit has. I'm replacing the 1223 with the Alinco because I know it will take gross negligence and abuse better.
N6BIZ Rating: 2018-10-29
Great Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After 18 years the on off switch got to be intermittent
I was nice to samplex and the company is sending me a new one ,on the house .Hows that for service after 18 years .
Hats off to samplex.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by N6BIZ on 2018-08-28

Had mine for so long forgot it was on at least 17 years
VE7REN Rating: 2018-08-28
most excellent Time Owned: more than 12 months.
ive ran these supplies on 2 different radios and powering other gear via a rigrunner. they are quiet,no birdies here,and the fan comes on only after long usage from tx. one is 7 years old,the other 3 years. on 24/7 here. never a hichup,and they have a nice fit n finish.. the newer version samlex,have white lettering and say samlex power,not like the one shown in the review pic. I was told the new ones are from 2015 and up,so the ones with the orangeish writing are prior to this manu date.. would I buy another samlex??? yes, just ordered me a new 1235meter one. need bit more power for another desk.i have sold all my linear astrons.. switchers are more efficient in times of rising bills,and take less space.
N8AUC Rating: 2018-08-27
SEC-1223 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this power supply new to run my FT-857D. It's never given me any problems. Small and light weight, and it just keeps on going. No RF hash detectable from my unit. Just hook it up, and go.

The connectors on the rear panel are sort of funky.
So I used the pins they supplied to make a pig tail that goes to Anderson Power Poles. End of problem.
N6PRX Rating: 2018-07-08
Great Service for old PS Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After many years of service my SEC-1223 began to oscillate under the heavy load of 100W SSB transmit. Inspection revealed several leaking electrolytic capacitors that I replaced. Unfortunately the effort did not resolve the problem. A call to Samlex proved to be very helpful. Replacement parts were available. Due to some known issues with the PWM circuitry, the Samlex recommendation was to replace the entire circuit board. The board was promptly received and installed without issue. I hope to get another 10 years out of this power supply. Great service from Ken at Samlex!
K7DXT Rating: 2017-12-27
Keeps On Ticking... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I probably wrote a review for this many years ago, and probably reported it as great. Now, after at least 10 years of using it, its still great. It's not like a radio that you can review it on a lot of different levels. It turns on, the little red light glow bright, and it has provided ample amperage at the correct voltage flawlessly for many years. I reckon that's what its supposed to do.
WA2ISE Rating: 2016-07-08
Great after RFI mods Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I use it for my HF rig. Yes there are birdies, but doing RFI mods knocked those way down (the manufacturer should be doing this). RFI mod is to connect a pair of 1uF film caps, one from + and one from - to the chassis right at the output terminals, inside the case. Also installed a filtered IEC plug. Doing this makes it a lot better.
Many power supplies meant for servers and such don't like the sudden load changes you have when you key down, but this one is designed for that. Haven't had mine get overheated, but I haven't laid a brick on my transmitter's key either...
K7DAA Rating: 2016-04-11
New link to EMI reduction page Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had one for years of intermittent service with no problems, but I can't say that I've used it as a main 12v supply in everyday use. I have a number of Astrons and a solar/battery system for daily shack use.

I noted that the link at the top of the page to ZL2DF's RF noise reduction mod for this supply now goes to someone who is definitely not N0SS, who died in 2011. If you look up his callsign, you'll see it's now a memorial club call.

Here is a new link maintained by W4KAZ:

In my experience, all switching power supplies generate some noise. It's mostly a matter of how much, what harmonics, and whether they happen to fall on your favorite frequencies or not. Lots of switching supplies can be cleaned up by using the same principles covered in the ZL2DF paper: ferrites inside the metal box over the output wires, with some capacitors to ground.

Also, make sure the power supply's metal box forms a decent shield by checking for good metal-to-metal connections at all points where the case shells join together. Scrape paint away, if necessary. It often helps to put beads and caps on the AC input lines as well. Make sure the caps are rated for 400v or better, of course.

K1XGM Rating: 2016-02-12
Reliable SMPS Time Owned: more than 12 months.

Just bought a new SEC-1235M to pair it with my new IC-7410 this month. I also owned an SCE-1223 for 7 years to power 3 different 100 watt base stations, primarily an IC-746 Pro.

This afternoon I chased 7P8C split for a solid 1.5 hrs trying to bust thru the DX pile-ups. The fan on the 1235M eventually came on after about 1hr 15 min. of pedal-to-the-metal transmitting, ran for about 5 min. then shut off as I operated for another 10 min. Didn't get the QSO but the ps performed as it should. My 1223 performed similarly in such situations.

As far as the fan noise goes, I wouldn't want to listen to it constantly but it comes on so infrequently why invest in a costly linear behemoth to replace a switch-mode Samlex that has a 3 year warranty?

73, Tom K1XGM
W9OS Rating: 2015-12-30
IF IT DIES TOSS IT! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I was given a SEC-1223. I had blown a fuse.
Just for kicks I sent a note to Samlex to see if they work on these out of warranty.
They said no and said I should buy a new one?
I wonder what they do a unit in warranty.?. They must send you a new one..Cheaper than having a service department.
I have a 1235 and it runs great with minimal birdies.
I found a shorted 2sc2625 the main switching transistors that come off the FW bridge .. Parts on order (not from Samlex). I hope this will get it going