Manager

Review Summary For : Hallicrafters HT-40
Reviews: 4MSRP: 89.95 kit, 109.95 wired/
Description:
80 thru 6 Meter Vintage Transmitter
Product is not in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
WD4NKA Rating: 2019-05-22
Dependable Classic Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The HT-40 was one of the several transmitters I used as a Novice, but the only one that carried me from Novice, into my General Class. My first phone contact in 1979 was using the HT-40 to check into a phone net on 40m. They did not know I was AM until I mentioned it, whereupon the net control spun his dial to hear my carrier. It amazed them all, which tells me the modulation level, stock, with no mods, must have been quite high.

My current Novice Rig Round-up position is all Hallicrafters, pairing the HT-40 with an SX-111, the large speaker, utilizing the HA5 VFO and keying with the HA1 "T.O." keyer. A great set-up.

The HT-40 is an easy rig to restore, and all caps needed can be had from Hayseed Hamfest. Even the "can" filter caps.

At this point my HT-40 runs only CW (50w on 40m) but plans are to take it to AM on both 40 and 75m.

Five Stars from WD4NKA!
WB0FDJ Rating: 2011-07-17
Good 'old radio Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My first radio, as a novice, in 1971. Purchased from a another ham with a Dow Key relay for $40. Along with a Heath HR-10B (an essentially "filterless" receiver) I spent that summer making QSO's on 40 and 15 meters using crystals. Tuned it up using a lightbulb. I used it even after I upgraded to Advanced and it never failed me. It was in its day a solid well designed and simple rig that many novices cut their teeth on and more than a few continued to use them, as I did, after upgrading.
KE4EZ Rating: 2009-06-05
FB RIG Time Owned: more than 12 months.
What a FB Rig!I used this TX with a broad as a barn door National NC-88 in my Novice daze and worked the world with it.Many fond memoriesof carefree summer nights in my room with the window open the breeze drifting through the old NC-88 and HT-40 bringing the scent of RADIO into the air listening to the sounds of DX and the background crickets chripping yup good times...
40 and 80 meter CW Novice band bedlam... never had any problems with the rig always worked and sounded FB CW and AM If you have a chance to add one to the shack you won't be sorry.
K1FPV Rating: 2004-08-15
Fine Vintage TX Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This fine Vintage AM/CW transmitter runs about 50 watts out on 80 -20, 45 watts out on 15 and 10, and about 15 watts out on 6 meters. Keying with either crystal or a VFO is nice and the AM sounds good from reports I've gotten on the air. Even though the AM is carrier controlled modulation, many reports have told me that if I didn't mention it, and they didn't see the S-Meter move, they wouldn't know it wasn't plate modulation. Tubes are a little difficult to locate, but if you can get them, this is a nice transmitter to run in your vintage station.