Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
IW5EKI Rating: 2019-11-08
Very good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
A bit older today but what fantastic radio..... I give a 5/5
K6TLA Rating: 2019-01-22
Excellent! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've had my Pro 3 for several months now and really love it. There are numerous other rigs here which get little or no attention now that the Icom is part of the mix. The feature set for whatever mode you might choose is extensive. The programmable DSP filters make operating in any mode a pleasure and there's nothing else to buy with them. The rig is a workhorse from the lowest HF bands all the way to 6 meters. In several recent 6 meter openings it's more than proved it's worth. When Icom designed this rig they left nothing out. It's a keeper and available these days at reasonable prices.;
KC7MF Rating: 2018-05-12
How much better is better? Time Owned: more than 12 months.
So this is my second 756 pro series radio. I just love to try equipment and have had a pretty good selection of what is out there. Except for a very short time when I flirted with the IC-7300 there has been a pro series Icom on first base.

Was this radio "better" than the 7300? Probably not in lab testing but I kept going back to it anyway. Is it better than an FTDX-3000? IMO, yes. The display is far superior and the band scope more usable than the 3000. The controls much easier to use. The 3000 speaker was better but who uses the built in speaker anyway? With a good speaker (one that is designed for speech and not symphonic music) it is a wash. It is far superior to the TS-590s I couldn't wait to get rid of.

The controls are intuitive and very easy to use. The layout makes good sense. The tuner is not going to tune your non resonate loop but did you expect a built in tuner to do that in the first place? Do you remember life before band scopes? Any way you cut it they are a real convenience.

So what is better? I suppose someone could make the case for the 7700 and 7851. The FTDX-5000, maybe somewhat. But that is the point, isn't it? How much are you willing to spend for "somewhat better"? I considered the IC-7600 but really had to ask myself... will I see/hear the difference? The pushing $1000.00 difference? I had the original 756 pro and I could not raise my right hand and swear that side-by-side under just about every normal operating condition, including contests, I could hear the difference. It appears, judging from my audio reports, neither could the people to whom I was speaking.

As far as reliability is concerned, my experience has been that the 756 pro series Icoms are rock solid.

So at the end of the day I maintain that for the overwhelming majority of hams this radio is beyond competent. This was a fairly expensive radio new and at today's used prices, a serious bargain. It is still here while one-after-another rigs have come and gone. When I kick off my net control duties it is my go to rig.

You can spend a lot more money on your rig and we will all act duly impressed. $13K for a 7851 is a real impressive statement. It is. But we will not hear the difference and in all but the rarest of circumstances, neither will you. Buy one of these then you decide whether to keep it. If you decide to fire-sale it let me know. I wouldn't mind a spare.
W8KMA Rating: 2018-05-07
My favorite! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
My favorite after having the following rigs, Flex 5000,TS-990s,FTDX3000,TS-870,TS-950SDX,TS-590sg,IC746,IC756,TS-480,TS-520,TS-830,TS-940,IC7410 IC7300,and a few more along the way. They come and they go but this one will stay a long time...Receive is just super sounding to my ears and the transmitter just bangs it out all day long. Everything just works like it should! I hope I can find another one this good for a spare!!! ( if I need it ) For the $$$ now days I think they are a great buy and will do most anything you will ever need including a decent band scope. I use a SP-21 external speaker and a SM-30 mic with the rig and they blend perfect. Although it has no touch screen,the knobs/buttons are very nice and solid feeling!!..All in all, seems like a great combo to me and I've seen a bunch!! 73!!
VE3TMT Rating: 2018-02-13
Happy birthday to me! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It's been just over a year since I traded my Yaesu FTDX-1200 for a PROIII. There were some undisclosed problems with the radio, but new parts were obtained from Icom and issues resolved.

In my 28 years as a ham, I have had many different radios in the shack. Worth mentioning, the Kenwood TS-830, TS-870, TS-940, Yaesu FT-990, FT-1000 Mark V, FT-2000 and others. Each of them have their own merits, and I had likes and dislikes for each. Around 2007 I owned the original 756PRO, so the PROIII was not that unfamiliar to me.

I can honestly say, the PROIII is one of the best. I find the receiver just superb and all it's associated controls only enhance it. The transmitter works just fine, full output in all modes, including RTTY, for extended periods of time without issue. I have modified the internal fan to run full time, just enough on receive to keep the radio cooled. I also added a 24VDC fan on the rear to pull the hot air out. Running at 12V it runs half speed, reducing stress on the fan, but still allowing cooling of the radio.

From what I have read, the biggest issue plaguing the PRO series is failure of the LCD display. This is caused by an open inverter coil (now obsolete) or blown transistor in the inverter circuit (still available). So if the inverter coil goes, the radio is basically useless, unless you use Ham Radio Deluxe or some other software to read the frequency.

As I was concerned about this, I decided to be proactive. I started looking at ways to eliminate the need for the HV inverter circuit altogether. I found an ultra thin LED strip that fits inside the LCD panel itself and runs off 12V. It comes with a driver board that can be powered from the back of the display board. The result is a nice bright LCD display that looks like new. You still get some adjustability from the brightness control, although not as much as the original CCFL tube, but perfectly acceptable. I also disable the HV circuit which probably eliminates some receiver noise, not that you hear it in the first place. Now, I never have to worry about the display failing.

Operating the PROIII is pure joy. If you can find one at a good price, grab it, you won't regret it.

I'm more than happy to do this upgrade for others, you can email me for pricing.

Earlier 5-star review posted by VE3TMT on 2017-01-24

I recently took an Icom 756PROIII on trade for my Yaesu FTDX-1200. The Yaesu is a good radio, but without a live waterfall, like the Icom 7300, it's just a gimmick. Also got tired of having to go into a menu to enable a control all the time.

I picked up the PROIII and was impressed with it's condition. Unfortunately, there was an issue with low output power on 10 and 12m, which was not disclosed before the deal. Examining the filter board revealed the problem. The coils for the 22-30MHz range were completely cooked. One coil in fact was so badly burned, the core was cracked in two places. A previous owner was obviously using the radio on 11m. New parts were received from Icom and installed and radio now works as it should.

Using the PROIII is sheer pleasure. The DSP filtering is fantastic and very helpful in crowded band conditions or during a contest. On CW or PSK31, you can narrow the bandwidth down to 50Hz, without any ringing whatsoever. On RTTY, the built in dual filter is a big asset during weak band conditions. On SSB you can dial the RX out to 3.6KHZ and set up three different customizable bandwidths on the fly. The possibilities are endless. TX audio can be set up to 2.9KHz wide, with adjustable bass and treble setting for three different customizable bandwidths. I use a Koss SB40 headset straight into the radio with great results.

Overall I am very happy with the PRO3. Did I mention it's very customizable! Although my radio is a little over 10 years old now, it still holds its own with the newer radios. Over the past year I've had an FT990, FT950, FT-1000 Field, TS-2000, FT-2000 and FTDX-1200, so lots to compare it to. It is still very desireable in the used radio market, with prices right up there with the more newer models. I previously owned an original 756PRO, and regretted selling it at the time. I don't think I'll be parting with the PROIII any time soon.

If you can find one in good shape, jump at the chance.
MI0GTA Rating: 2018-01-21
Fantastic rig Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
A rig I've always wanted and finally after years of searching for one, I've finally bagged a proiii...
The price for them here in the UK is usually around the £1k to £1.2k mark on them and I found mine fully boxed, mint condition for a lot less from a brilliant dealer called Dave.. as we say here in Derry, Happy days.... 73 MI0GTA...

KD6CCP Rating: 2018-01-04
Great ears! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
So I purchased this clean machine from a fellow ham at a great price. The last icom I owned was a 730 in 1994. Having mis read the mic wire diagram and fried it a month later. So kenwoods (520, 850s, 480sx, 590g, three d710, three 732s, and a few ht) and a few Yaesu (950, 100d a few dual band mobles and hts) is where I landed. Only having sold the 950 I didnt need another radio, but wth.

I was surprised at the great audio this radio has, great ears great filters. Doing a few “A-B” comparisons the icom could take a weak station and make it legible ssb/am with a nice tone. I suspect this is another keeper. Sure its a bit old but a great value in todays market for the money. Very happy.
G4RNW Rating: 2017-11-04
Still going strong Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Have owned this one since new for 8 or 9 years. Still pleased with it. No problems of late (CI-V socket faulty when new) and still get good audio reports using an Adonis desk mike. I don't feel any need to upgrade at all at present.

Earlier 5-star review posted by G4RNW on 2012-01-22

Still go strong - So Far ! My only minor niggle is the tiny power adjustment pot, otherwise it has not dissapointed so far! I can't see myself trading this in, in the hear future.

I would still recommned this rig, even though it is no longer the latest technology. But it depends of course on what your priorities are. I am not a contester, just an occassional DXer and rag chewer.It is an easy rig to use and soon becomes instinctive.

You dont have to keep delving into the menus once it is set up to your liking.
Earlier 5-star review posted by G4RNW on 2009-06-28

This is an update. Now owned the Pro111 for 16 months. Nothing untoward to recall. It still performs exactly as reported in my earlier report.

V good on close in working.This helps a lot in pile ups and on busy bands. DSP can distort a little but not serious and NB not v. effective, but then they never are. Getting good reports on audio. I still think it rates 5/5 and am in no way dissapointed - so far.

This rig is now superseded by the 7600 which is about double the price. I would be surprised if it warrants the extra cost. I for one am not the least tempted to trade up to it, although I have no doubt the 7600 would not dissapoint.
SA3AYF Rating: 2017-10-01
Amazing. No more, no less. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Had my current radio a long time, and the pro + pro II before that.
I also had an IC-7600 for a couple of years.
This is like having a more analog 7600 more or less.

With a measured (!) ip3 of +30dBm it is in parity or better than most newer rigs. The filtering is wonderful (even on CW, I do not agree with the lesser reviews on that matter) and very effective.
It will put out 100W plus any day, as long as the tuner is not used. The tuner will, for obvious reasons decrease the output by 5-10W depending on the load. But show me the tuner that don´t have some degree of loss ?

In short, it is a very good sounding (bort rx & tx) radio with all the filtering you need.
It will tune just about anything, even above 3:1 !

A word of advise:
If you don´t want to ruin it, please do not mod it in to a 150W CB abomination, this will render it worthless! None of the tuning or output circuitry was made with this in mind and will tell you that in plain, white smoking language, Repairing and restoring that mess will make any technician stay away !

Otherwise, it wil last you a very, very long time and be very gentle on your ears (and nerves, Hi!) used and set properly !

I recommend it without any reservations :)
KB5RU Rating: 2017-09-21
Same fine radio as the 7300 Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I never owned a Icom radio until I bought a 7300 the first week they came out. Six months later I came across the Pro 3 like new with box,hand mic, power cord, and manual at a low price. I have the two radios side by side with both connected to a sp23 speaker. I put a SM30 Icom desk on both radios. The pro 3 is now my main radio and the 7300 my back up. On the air I am told the sound the same. The recovered audio at the speaker sounds the same. The radio is excellent and it is a little faster to operate than the 7300 because it has more button's. I don't care about two receivers and the external display so for me the 756 pro 3 and the 7300 are the same and direct sampling in the 7300 is the same as as the pro 3's superhet. I can not hear the any difference.