Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
W9LVM Rating: 2013-12-28
Display problems Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just got a email back from Icom on some units that have a problem with taking display some times 10 minutes to get up all the way! After IC-756PRO they change back lighting on the Pro2 and Pro3! If you would like copy of email go to QRZ.COM for my email address! Other then that issue I love the radio! Just why is it when they have a problem they do not fix the radio?
EI3GD Rating: 2013-08-24
Superb Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I sold my Flex 3000 after 18 months, I just wanted to try something else and decided on the Pro 3 after much research and debate.
The Flex 3000 set a high bar in terms of receive performance and feature set so it would be hard to top, I was afraid of disappointment.
However I'm happy to report the Pro 3 is up to the challenge.
*Receive performance and DSP filtering is superb and a joy to use.
*Pre-recorded CW and voice phrases are easy to use.
*Noise blanker seems slightly better than the Flex.
*Obviously the panadaptor display on the Flex is second to none and the Pro3 is no match here. So I prefer to use the Pro 3 without panadaptor, the refresh rate is just slow for my liking and just distracts me. But it's still nice to have it and I can still see myself using it at times.
*The dynamic tune(accelerated when turned fast) on the Pro 3 is very nicely implemented, making it a breeze to scan any band in just a few seconds.
*CW is where the Pro 3 really tops the Flex, no delay and silky smooth to operate with full or semi QSK, the Flex was weak in this respect.
*Fan noise was an issue on the Flex, especially on long overs or extended operation. But no such issue on the Pro 3 the fan is hardly noticeable.
*Memo pad is a very useful feature on the Icom.
*Variable IF down to 50hz works well on the Icom, just as good as the Flex. By the way, 25 hz on the Flex 3000 does not work and it seems to be reserved for the Flex 5000).

So all in all I'm very happy with the Icom as an alternative to the Flex. If I were to go back to SDR it would have to be the Flex 5000, purely for the low fan noise... that bugged me on the 3000.

Ray
EI3GD
K2JF Rating: 2013-08-13
can't let go of it! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've owned the full line of 756 Pro's and have had this Pro III for about a year. I have a case of wandering eye from time to time and look around for other, newer transceivers. But each time I do I realize what a great radio I have and can find NO good reason to spend thousands more for another rig. The spectrum scope is great and I've noticed that lately Yaesu and Kenwood have come out with rigs that have the built in scope, but for a heck of a lot more money than what you pay for a Pro III. I'm 80% CW op and find the QSK is fantastic - love it. DSP works well and all the filtering options really helps out big time in a contest weekend. My urge to sell a rig and buy a new one is being suppressed for now - just can't justify giving this one up. And to add one last point: I owned a Pro III earlier and decided to try the upgrade to the 7600. But after two weeks of operating it I found no reason not to go back to the Pro III. I sold the 7600 and found another great Pro III.
AD5EM Rating: 2013-04-04
Still my favorite Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought my 756ProIII (new) after my well used 756Pro took a lightning hit 5 years ago. This was just before they discontinued the 756 line. Everytime I consider selling the ProIII, I just go use it and the decision to keep it is made. I've run other radios and there are a lot of good ones out there, but the ProIII hits the balance, for me, of performance, ease of use and value. In my opinion, it would be hard to do any better.
K7ER Rating: 2013-03-12
Rock Solid Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have been using my ProIII for 4 years now, I have to say it has been a great rig. I have used it alot in PSK,SSB & CW with great results. I have also have been involved in contesting running the rig for 36 ours at a time without a hitch. When the 7600 came out I thought should I upgrade? Then I came to my senses and could not justify the upgrade, when I feel that my ProIII has surved me so well. I really did not have much to justify the extra cost. I really enjoy all the features of this fine rig. Some will say get a K3, but for the cost with the pan adaptor is not something I am really not ready to spend the money for. I believe any rig is only as good as your antenna system. Anyhow in closing I belive that the Pro series have been a stellar proformer and will continue it legacy..

K7ER
AI4HO Rating: 2012-08-18
A rif for the ages! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Well now, I am well into my 3rd year of owning this outstanding rig. Can ya believe..in a moment of weakness I actually thought about selling my rarely used ProIII? Unbelievable, that I would EVER part with this simply awesome rig from Icom. In the past 2 weeks, I sold my Yaesu FT-450AT, and a few other components, put my ProIII in my front room, and now use it pretty much every day. This was a rig I came to view as the culmination of a lot of saving, selling, and just plain patience. I figured that since I put so much of myself into getting this rig that this was not a rig to use on a daily basis, but as the showcase, to show some that..look..look..I have the Icom 756 ProIII! So the rig sat mostly unused, except for occasional days when I figured I would blow the dust out of it. Here I am with a rig I've had for 3 and a half years with less than 40 hours of use on it.

So now that I moved it to my Lazy Boy HF station (see my bio for an explanation). I just this week bought a Heil Handi Mic HM-IC, don't get me wrong, the stock the HM-33 I think it is works superbly. I have been getting great signal reports on an HF net that I participate in, then when I put this Handi Mic on, Thursday 8-16-12 was the first day I used..and so it started again, Mark..don't know what rig your using..don't stop. ou're the loudest I've heard so far..what mic are you using. I can't give all the credit to the mic, far from it.
I would say 99% of the credit goes to this wonderful electronic communications device known as the Icom IC-756 ProIII, the other 1% goes to this really comfortable microphone by Bob Heil.

Truly, the IC-756 ProII is a rig for the ages. Have you seen what these rigs are commanding on the used market, they are retaining almost the full market value..for a rig that has been out of production for nearly 4 years to be asking, and folks paying what they sold for new is a testament to the incredible engineering by the folks at Icom. I think the only rig that comes close is the FT-1000MP-MKV, which is another truly incredible rig. But we are reviewing the 756 ProIII aren't we? That said, since I took the protective..hand made covers off my ProII, getting my ALS-600 amp, all the antennas and the tuner to play nice,(no big deal really),I disconnected the FT-450, took everything off my operating position and then put it all back with the ProII and matching power supply back in. I have made more contacts with this rig in 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months with the 450. Don't get me wrong, my FT-450 is/was a great rig, I had an awful lot of fun using that rig, and I'm kidding when I say I made more in 2 weeks with the ProIII than in 6 months with the 450. It just seems like I did. Recieved audio on the ProIII is so much clearer, easier to understand, transmit without a doubt, the 756 ProIII out preforms any rig I have ever had in my shack, and there have been plenty. FT-897D,FT-857D, IC-746Pro 2 different ones, 706's all flavors. I have had quite a few rigs over the past 10 years..none of them hold a candle to my ProIII. This is one rig that will stay in operation for a long,long time to come. Looking forward to having a QSO with you from me and my 756 ProIII to you and your outstanding rig.

AI4HO
Formerly W3LZK

Earlier 5-star review posted by AI4HO on 2012-01-16

In 2 weeks I will have had my Icom 756 Pro III for 3 years, mine was one of the last batches of Pro III's to be manufactured by Icom before it went out of production. This rig is still impressive, the band scope is quite the thing, it as close to real time as you can get. Are there newer and better rigs out there..sure, for me though..I haven't found it..yet. The Pro III was and still is for me the culmination of 10 years of saving..buying..selling, upgrading to the point I'm at now. My other rig is a 8 year old IC-746 Pro, which in and of itself is a good rig. Will I ever sell my Pro III..can't picture it..maybe one day, when I really, really tire of her, but that time hasn't come. If you can find one of these rigs in great shape..get one, this is still a rig for the ages, still a viable contest rig, a will hold its own in most if not all applications you may want to use this rig.

Earlier 5-star review posted by AI4HO on 2010-04-04

Well here we are, more than a year after purchasing my brand new in the box Icom 756 Pro III. I must say that this radio still impresses me, I get great signal reports when talking with others. I am really impressed with this rig on 40 meters, lately here in Fl. we have been having a LOT of noise in the mornings when on the Treasure Coasters Net on 7.135 from 8-9 AM each and every morning. With the ProIII I can usually not always notch out the offending noise. Whereas on my Kenwood TS-480HX the noise does get a bit over whelming. I suppose if I went ahead and installed the filters I wouldn't have some of these problems.

This review is not about Kenwood radios its about the 756 Pro III. I have not experienced any of the problems like some of the posts state. My rig has maintained all of its integrity, I use this radio daily and cannot find any fault with this rig. I know these rigs have been discontinued, if you can find a one owner rig and it is in good condition you can't go wrong with one of these radios.

Earlier 5-star review posted by AI4HO on 2009-08-29

Here we are 6 months after my first review of this incredible radio. When I first reviewed this radio it was under my old call and even older log in name. My first review was as AI4HO/ and user name KI4CRA I stated that this was/is an exceptional radio. I still firmly believe that, I am still learning the tricks of the trade so to speak with this fine radio. I've learned how/when to use the PBT to its maximum effect. I do like the fact that you can change the filtering bandwidth on the fly. Comes in handy on those mornings on my 40 meter net, when 40 as we all know is great one minute then goes completly awry the next that being able to change not just the filters, but the bandwidth is one of the nic facets of this radio. Yea, most of you who have one have had one for quite a bit longer than I've had mine.

I still think that while I'm on my net and don't particularly care for the filtering on say filter2 mid, with a 2.6 bandwidth, you can change it to say 2.1 or 2.0 or even 2.9 for that matter, and then change it to soft or hard, what ever the case may be. Usually I have one filter that I call my static filter, one that I can change when the mood or the band needs it. My other 2 filter I have set and leave them be for the most part, maybe adjust the PBT, but otherwise they are set.

Another one of the nicer attributes of this rig is the notch filter, in a word WOW, this is one notch filter that works! Too many times have I had a rig and to use the notch filter was an exercise in frustration, they either were weak or ineffective, but the notch filter on my Pro III is incredible. I can and often do notch out pretty much any offending signal, even on the MN setting the notch filter does an excellent job of cutting out the offending signal/s.

While I have been known to buy and sell radios on a whim, and have done so for the past several years, and some of the radios I've owned have been really great (to me), and I have come to maybe not regret, but more second guess my decision on selling that particular radio, this one is only the third brand new radio I have ever bought. Now then I did buy a 746 Pro from a friend that was only a month old when I bought it, but sold it to get the Pro III. That was one radio I shouldn't have sold and did. But I digress. this is about the Pro III.

All in all, this is about the best overall rig I've owned. My Kenwood TS-480HX, while it did have DSP and 200 watts, the NR on it sucked. My Pro III goes great along side my Ameritron AL-811H amp, that and the Heil HM-10 dual are quite a team. I had bought the MZFJ digital SWR/WATT meter just to see what kind of power out I'm getting with this rig barefoot. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked on my 40 meter half wave tuned dipole I get a solid 115 watts out barefoot, on my Mosley TA-33 classic, I get between 115-118 watts. Quite the rig the IC 756 Pro III is, as stated before this is an exceptional radio.

Hope to catch you on the air, you can usually find me in the morning from 0800-0900EDT on 7.135MHz for the Treasure Coasters Net,, and from 0900-0930 on the CT Mobileers on 14.257MHz. have fun all remember this is a hobby not a career path, for me it is my main hobby with reading and guns following. Pray for our troops, all our brave men and women in our armed services who are serving our country with honor.

KC8HXO Rating: 2012-07-15
OUTSTANDING! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I had the recent opportunity to upgrade from my ProII, which was impressive on it's own merits, to the ProIII. My particular unit has the Inrad roofing filter installed. That should put the dynamic range, for close spaced signals up at least even, and maybe better than the IC-7600. It sure sounds good to my ears. With the difference between a good used ProIII and an IC-7600 hovering around $1300 in today's market, one has to ask himself if that money would be better spent on the antenna system, or updating the radio. Just my 2 cents.
Look at the features, and performance you get from rigs in this price range. For MY style of operation, the Icom Pro-series rigs have it in the bag, and I don't see this one leaving the top of MY list, or desk, for a LONG time.
CR7000 Rating: 2012-06-03
An Icom Classic Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The pro III is truly awesome

I had it from new, just before they got discontinued, so its a very late one.

It is still as brand new and it will definatly stay in my shack for the forseen future.

It works flawlessly, and the filtering is super, and along with the excellent display its everything i need from a radio.

Over the years i have had many radios of a similar spec, sat side by side the pro III simply outperforms them all.

If you have one, then keep it, or if you find one then buy it. These will only ever get harder to find, so hang on to the good ones.

Mine is a keeper, and unless i win the lottery i cannot find anything that i would call an upgrade unless i spend in excess of £5k
K2VI Rating: 2012-03-24
An icom classic Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Does everything exceptionally well. Excellent IMD numbers. One real complaint is the chezzy potentiometer control knobs on the lower left.They really fell short there. Otherwise an ouststanding transeiver.

k2vi

Earlier 5-star review posted by K2VI on 2009-04-04

Never misses a beat, Solid construction and sharp filtering is fantastic on crowded bands. Reciever is super quiet. The best mid priced radio i have ever owned by far.
W6DRG Rating: 2012-03-22
This is rig is awesome Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've only had this rig a few days and I'm floored. The audio is crisp and clean, the DSP filtering is fantastic compared to the TS-2000 which I have sitting right next to it. I have been trying to get one of these for the last few months but am always getting outbid or too late to scoop it up on the classifieds. The menus are relatively easy, again compared to the packed sub-menus of the TS-2000. Most of the features are visually at your fingertips so I really have not had to resort to the manual. CW sounds fantastic which is good because I don't know CW and I use the MFJ-464 decoder/keyboard encoder to talk with the seasoned professionals. Very excited about this rig and can't wait to get the rest of the goodies I purchased to spice this thing up and get it running with HRD and the new MFJ-784B DSP filter for even further clean-up of dumpy static crashes and noise. I'll hang on to my TS-2000 so I have a dedicated 6m-VHF-UHF rig but pretty sure the 756 will take the brunt of my HF work.

Read the reviews folks, this is a mighty fine rig which will and has gone down in the legend book and if you can find one don't hesitate to snatch it up. Happy trails all !