Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
W3UT Rating: 2012-03-06
One of the best Icom ever made Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The Pro III is a great transceiver , excellent performance and reliability. After nearly 3 years I have only praise for this radio. An Icom classic this radio will be used and compared to in the years ahead. If you can find one, buy it!

Earlier 5-star review posted by W3UT on 2011-03-11

Purchased a new ProIII two years ago and it's been an outstanding transceiver. Supurb quality, an enjoyable radio to operate. I think this radio will be remembered as one of the all time greats. If you can find one used you won't be disappointed.
Earlier 5-star review posted by W3UT on 2009-05-01

Have owned and operated each of the 756pro series radios. Not a speck of trouble with the 756Pro rigs over the years. The ProIII is one impressive radio. Every successive model has design improvements. The last model of the Pro series is a real gem to operate. The radio has an instinctive feeling to operate without layers of menus to go through. I'm sorry to see Icom discontinue the 756Pro series. In my opinion, the ProIII is a bargain at close out pricing for a mid price radio. The last of the Pro's is a keeper in my shack. Great job Icom!
W5FZ Rating: 2012-03-06
MARS Mod is It Time Owned: more than 12 months.
That must be the overall answer to some of these sets, the MARS mod that lets more functions occur. I need to do that for the IC-756PROIII and FT-897D.
Thanks great info....

Earlier 5-star review posted by W5FZ on 2012-03-04

Overall I have really liked this radio set and still do,since March 2009. But a snag hit on getting ready for cw, etc on the new 5 March 2012 use of the 60 meter channels. Cannot transmit cw, or even use the built-in tuner. Cannot change the memory channel frequency for the new frequency of the middle channel. Did assign it to another available memory channel so can listen. Similar limitation on my Yaesu FT-897D. Guess the mfr may have some input later.
K0SD Rating: 2012-03-05
Outstanding Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Had a IC-756Pro3 for 12 years, recently got the Pro3. What a radio. Think this has the MARS mod in it, worked beautiful tonight on 60m PSK and CW at 100 watts, no problem changing to the new ch3 in memory either. Tuner works 100%. Have 3 sets of memories, 5 channels with USB-D for PSK, 5 for USB, and 5 for CW. Bought it used, came out of the box this way. Just got software so I can save all the memories and memory names, that really makes it nice. Tremendous on RTTY, can make qso's with the computer off. Tremendous radio on 6m also, bandscope outstanding. 160/80/40 does much better than the Pro with the better NB in residential area. Just a tremendous radio!
WF1L Rating: 2012-01-24
Very Happy with this rig Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I've now had my Pro3 for nearly 6 months and have nothing but praise for it. Replaced my old faithful warhorse ICOM 746 (non-Pro) and I couldn't believe the difference betwen the rigs, especialy the Pro3 receiver!
As far as DSP complaints in earlier reviews, how can you expect a DSP to create a hole between overlapping signals when none exists! DSP isn't magic.
EX_W3UT Rating: 2012-01-16
Great Rig Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned the entire 756Pro line. The Pro 3 is an outstanding performer and the best of the Pro series. The Pro 2 was a fine radio, the Pro 3 was slightly better in the receiver but very close. Have tried the newer Icom models and my ears really can't hear significant receiver improvements. The newer models have a simulated VU meter that's lame. The newer models are very nice, but for me, not worth the expense of upgrade. The Pro 3 isn't the newest kid on the block but is still one fine radio that's hard to beat.
AK7V Rating: 2011-09-26
Excellent Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I am primarily a CW op. This is an excellent rig. Receiver is great, noise reduction works well, good QSK, variable filters work well, display is easy to read. Some knobs are a little small, but certainly usable. Internal antenna tuner is very good -- matches better than 3:1 SWR in my experience. Spectrum scope is useful and effective. General coverage receive is great.

I've been having nothing but fun with this rig. I haven't operated anything newer, but am completely satisfied with the Pro 3.

If you're looking for an excellent all-around rig, keep an eye out for a good used Pro 3.
K1VI Rating: 2011-04-15
It just keeps on keeping on Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This is a follow-up to my Sept 2007 review. Every bit as happy now, as then. Sharp, simple, and receiving many unsolicited compliments on the audio with the Heil 781 mic. With my THP 1.5 linear (super!), and my modest G5RV at 40 feet (if that), I should complete my 5-band DXCC this year, with most contacts using this radio.
KC0MFK Rating: 2011-03-13
Impressive Radio Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After looking at many radios I purchased a used ProIII in mint condition. This is one fine radio with more features than I'll ever need. I considered a new 7600 but after operating one for an afternoon liked the ProIII better. I couldn't hear any significant improvement with the 7600 and the lack of a real meter was a shortcoming. The 7600 is a very nice radio but I like the ProIII better. If not for the meter issue I probably would have purchased the newer 7600. I'm very happy with the ProIII and happy with my purchase
AK2F Rating: 2010-11-28
Does everything I need and more Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Does everything I need it to do and it does it well. Two features over older/basic rigs are the nice color band scope, and 100W 6 meters.
Works well on 6M - 160M and occasional general coverage RX. RX bandwidth on SSB can be programmed from 3.6 KHz to anything narrower. SSB transmit can be set to 2.8 KHz which results in unsolicited audio compliments using stock hand microphone.

Size and cost are good for my shack. I don't run contests, so haven't seen a need to chase after roofing filter craze. In my opinion, much of the QRM is right on your frequency from poor operators. I don't run pre-amplifiers on 20M and lower which helps dynamic range.

I've operated lots of other high end radios and haven't notice anything really performing better. If anything, some of the more expensive radios add more complication in user interface. I find the Pro II to be just about right for me.

These give one of the best bang for the buck in the used market, about $1300. Hopefully this will leave you some change for a good antenna and amp.
K3AN Rating: 2010-11-22
A Mixed Bag Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
The Pro 3 is the third “high-performance” radio I have owned, after a TS-850 and then a FT-1000MP. I have owned the Pro 3 for a little over six months now (I bought it used), and have used it in several contests.

In my opinion, DSP just doesn’t cut it as the primary means of providing selectivity in an SSB contest with wall-to-wall signals. No, they’re not rock crushing signals and it’s not an IMD problem, but on a busy band you just can’t seem to find a vacant spot to set down and call CQ. Also, the Pro 3 has been relegated to the “junk heap of history” as every manufacturer except Icom now has a better-performing down-conversion radio. Finally, the Pro 3 Yahoo group has many threads about this radio’s excessive susceptibility to electrostatic discharge (ESD).

Ergonomically the radio is great, with no shortcomings to speak of. I LOVE the band scope, as well as being able to select among multiple settings for such things as bandwidth, AGC time constant and attenuator/preamp. There are enough knobs, buttons and switches so that pretty much every function is available without opening the menus. My hat’s off to Icom for doing a good job in that department.

If you buy a Pro 3 now you are buying obsolete technology. Since I could get close to what I paid for my used Pro 3, it won’t be long before I will be upgrading to a down-conversion rig.