Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
W7WX Rating: 2010-05-26
Two Thumbs Up! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I don't have tons of experience comparing this to other rigs as this is the nicest I've run. However I've not had any problems with mine whatsoever.

The only thing I've never cared much for is the RF power level micro-knob. This really should have been located someplace more accessible and easier to see with a heavier and larger knob. It almost seems like it was an afterthought for Icom. Driving an amplifier is when I've found this micro-knob the most annoying, but still not bad enough I'd consider selling it. I just think a little more attention to this would have been nice is all. The other good things about this rig far outweigh this little annoyance in my mind.

I have also been spoiled in having a band scope, too. It's been very handy for me especially in looking for activity on bands that have little to no activity for lack of propagation.

This rig deserves a 5/5 in my opinion because it's performance and reliability have exceeded my expectations. It may have a few (darned few) faults, but it's been a good value for me.

73's
Larry / W7LJB
K7ACZ Rating: 2010-03-28
No Tx due to ESD Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have a IC-756PROIII that I love when it is working. I have owned it for a year and a half and it has just experienced its third ESD failure, each failure is about six months apart. According to the Icom Service Center ESD static wipes out the switching diodes. No transmit but receives fine. They tell me they see this on 756PROIII's sent in from AZ, NV, NM, UT, and TX. If they are aware of the problem then I believe they should fix it as they did with ESD failures in their IC-746PRO. Instead they tell me it is my problem. Others on the Icom reflector have reported the same failures. I have installed ICE static suppressors connected to a 8 ft ground rod where my coax enters my house using all the information and suggestions on the ICE website and other sources. I have taken the suggested grounding procedures and use a LDG model DTS-4 ant switch which has a sense line connected to the rig. When I power off the 756PROIII all my antenna inputs go to ground at the point they enter the DTS-4. Icom had this ESD problem with the 746PRO to the point that they were repairing and modifying those rigs even after the warranty expired. They now have the same problem with the 756PROIII. If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear from you, otherwise this 756PROIII gets traded in for a FT-2000 when it comes back from repair. I don't feel I should be paying for Icom's design faults.
K4JCP Rating: 2010-02-17
Great rig for the price Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Had the rig for over a year. Best notch filter I have seen. Noise blanker is good if the pulse is short enough. The RF power knob is tiny and flimsy. Not up to the quality of the rest of the rig. Good audio on rx and tx. Gets complements on the tx audio with the factory settings. Would recommend this rig to anyone looking for a rig in this price range.
N9CM Rating: 2010-02-15
Good Radio...but... Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I have had many different radios over the years and won't bore you with what. I find the PRO3 to be a adequate performer and won't go into all the numbers, etc. Already covered in product reviews elsewhere.

What i find that is somewhat disappointing is:

1. Lack of a second receiver
2. Implementation of the DSP could be much better, as in the FT-1000 series. Theirs is much more effective and better implemented.
3. DUal watch is okay but sure is much nicer when you run it with two built in receivers vs the same receiver. Kinda like XFC or listening to a split frequency. A double arrow control for switching back and forth between transmit and receiving frequency is actually, IMHO, just as good.
4. RF Control could be a better control knob on the radio instead of a micro control. You tend to use it when running an amp.
5. Up/Down would and should be standard as well as up/down within the same band as implemented on the older FT-1000 series. TS is a pain. On, turn the mail dial, off, fine tune. If you forget, you will dial past where you are wanting to listen. Again, poor implementation.

Numbers, well you read them already. They are okay but for a radio in this "price class" I expected better.

To me, this is a nice, very nice radio but mid range in performance. Definitely not contest grade material. IMHO.

GL to all.
AC4FS Rating: 2009-12-28
Outstanding Rig! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I got my 756 Pro III right after Field Day 2009. It replaced a 12 year old TS-570S, and brother, the difference is nothing short of amazing! I love this radio!!!

Seriously, I'm working stations I couldn't even hear on the Kenwood, and the filters make CW during these band conditions very tolerable.

The retail price has gone back up, but when I got mine, it was an outstanding monetary deal as well. I paid $2,299.99, including matching power supply.
N8DC Rating: 2009-12-28
Love this rig Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this rig last November and it replaced a TS-570 that replaced an IC-735. I never really liked the TS-570 . The dsp and the receiver just didn't seem to be what I was looking for. Id worked a bunch of Dx with the IC-735 and I like the Icom stuff so I researched for about 3 weeks all the different rigs and settled on the ProIII.. I really love this rig. Too bad I didn't know that they had new models coming out with PSK built in but oh well. I love the FSK RTTY !. Ive done RTTY before with an interface but having lost my job last year and not having a lot of cash I really like the option of making a cheap cable to interface the rig to my computer. Im using MMTTY for RTTY and MMVARI to run PSK and although I havent done a lot of PSK I find it a fun and very interesting mode.. Having the option to wire the interface cable to the aux jack in the back of the rig is a big plus and keeps all the cables hidden . Ok enuff of that.. The rigs receiver is great. Im hearing stations ive never heard before even with the sunspot cycle at a low. I still haven figured out all the filtering after a year but im working on it.. The changeable filtering and stuff plays a big part in hearing the stations I couldnt hear before. Ive ran a couple RTTY contests full power and it doesn't even seem to break a sweat :) Im using a Heil HC-5 mic element with this rig and I get nothing but great audio reports from everyone I contact. I just recently put up a 6 meter antenna and im trying that band also along with a fair amount of operating on 160/80 and 40 meters with a fan dipole for 80/40 and an inverted L on 160.. For the big 3 and the Warc bands I have 3 element Yagi's. Ive used the internal tuner and it works well but having a KW here I pretty much use my old MT3000A tuner . Anyway its too bad Icom has discontinued this rig as its a lot of bang for the buck.
AD0NW Rating: 2009-12-16
Great Rig Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I think this is a great radio. I've owned it for about two years now and I'm still finding ways to use it's many and various features.
I've also been the owner of the ICOM 7700, (it's gone) the Pro2 (sold to buy the 7700, a really good radio, but not up to the Pro3), the Ten Tec Omni VII and a Ten Tec argonaut (they're both gone.)
I 've owned a Kenwood TS940Sat (good old radio) and I still own a Yaesu 757gx which is a good basic rig with a great if simple receiver. I used to own a Yaesu FT450 and I hated it! I have a 706MK2g in the car and find it to be a really good mobile and I have a ICOM 703 which is a great QRP rig. I also have a ICOM 718 which I use for field day events and it's great for that.
However the 756P3 is one that is not leaving my shack! I'll probably own other radios; if I'm still around and able to breath, but the 756P3 will still be here in the shack when I do stop breathing.

KD4W
DD4DA Rating: 2009-12-16
CW works great since a couple of years Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I work 95% in CW since a couple of years with my Pro3 RIG and i have no problems with that. The build-in cw-keyers are mostly in Curtis mode A, not very handy for an european owner that use a squeeze key. This is similar in all brands of rig. I allways use the IDIOM-Press K3 Keyer (ETM9COG-X3) that do a great job. The Pro3 follows an ALIN100 or an JRL2000F linear somtimes and this configuration works also pretty nice. I don't wanna sell'em.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by DD4DA on 2006-10-12

I got the rig 3 weeks ago and i am happy with them. I previously owned an IC7000 an put them away because it needs 2 times of 6 weeks service in just a little more than a half year. Since 2004 i also owned an IC7400 / IC746Pro. I don't want to compare this rigs...its where unfair but it's amazing that the differences between this RIgs are quite less than i expect. The Pro3 is less noisy and the DSP performed more that the 746pro. The RX of the PRo3 sounds a little bit better but if you get in trouble with a weak signal on the 746pro, the Pro3 will not solve it.
The spectrumscope looks better but i not focus on it. I am do most of my HF operation time in CW so the DSP variable filter bandwith is th main focus and i love this feature since my IC746pro. The DSP of Pro3 seems to be faster and the ADC/DAC seems to got a higher resolution that 746pro. If the NR is activated, the 746pro builds artefacts if the level is higher. The pro3 dont do it. I have checked the build-in CW keyer in combination with a Schurr Profi2 Key that normaly used with an external Keyer from Idiom Press (K3 Keyer, aka ETM9-COG-X3) with i prefere. The build-in Keyers are a little bit different. The Pro 3 keyer remembers me to an Kenwood 570DG keyer. Smooth, and is miss timing tolerant if your timing is not so exact as you should be...
I use both Rigs on a GAP challenger and a ALPIN-100 Tube PA (1,2KW) and don't wat to exchange them with FT2000...beside...the FT2000 DSP is lousy slow...what a blame.
WA6MOW Rating: 2009-11-26
Icom Quality +++ Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This rig is another ham radio bargain on the used market. As I write this, they typically sell used for around $1,700.00. I bought one on a whim, just to say I have tried one. The build quality is outstanding. The scope is actually very useful and the internal tuner is one of the best I have ever used in a modern rig. The cw QSK is also very good. The controls are nicely placed and the menu is a no brainer. The Japanese radios are built to last, just like their motor vehicles. If you want a big well designed radio, this rig is for you.
K5BJM Rating: 2009-11-20
Great Rig!! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have operated many rigs and this one stands up to all test. It is the best all around radio I have ever used. There are people that will pick it apart, ( along with every other radio on the market), but those people are never satisfied with anything in life! If you want a great rig, get yourself one of these rigs.