Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
NK6R Rating: 2009-10-12
You Can't Fix Stupid! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Well, I have owned a few PRO3s, never disappointed and run them through the ringer. I love the effective pass band tuning and the notch is fantastic. I get on 6M and use preamp 2 level and never get any RX overload. The scope is so sensitive you can see weak signals on it, minimum decernable signals, even when the analog meter is not moving. The scope is an excellent tool on the upper bands to spot signals fast, and using the dual-watch you can hop from station to station quickly. I have owned every 756 level - from the mono-chrome to the PRO3 and each line a better leap. They all have excellent TX audio tayloring control built in, TX record for those frequent CQ calls, and the RX audio through a larger (bookshelf), speaker brings in excellent fidelity. The RX filter bandwidth can be set out to 3.6KHz and pulls out the best fidelity for those "arm-chair" copy QSOs. The RX preamps are of the same designed used in the IC-7800 and are very quiet, commonly seeing a greater jump in signal to noise ratio, providing better control of interference or pulling out the weak ones. For what this rig does, bang for the buck, and compared to all the latest upper end rigs, the K3 would be the only true contender in a purchase debate. Having the scope all in one rig, it is still a great purchase. Sure there are many choices out there, I am just saying you won't ever be sorry you purchased the ICOM IC-756PROIII.
KD0BCF Rating: 2009-10-09
This radio will be remembered as one of the best Icom ever made Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned this radio for 2 years, it was the first radio I bought when I got back into ham radio. It took me about 6 months to decide what radio I wanted to buy and after much research I decided on the P3. I paid $2,800 when I bought it and also had to buy the PS. That along with some extra goodies (Heil PR781, SP20 etc.) drove the price tag up over 3K. Last time I looked HRO had the P3 for around $2,200 with the PS. They may all be gone now I don't know but what I do know is that at this price, the P3 is by far the best value in ham radio today. I have no doubt that this radio will be remembered as one of the all time greats. The P3 is such a user friendly radio, a true pleasure to use. I have had no problems at all with this radio and would give it a 10 rating if I could. No need to repeat all the great things that have been said about the P3 so I will just say I couldn't agree more. As for the negative things I've seen posted, I can't relate. I will never sell this radio and if I were you I would try to find one of these jewels as new as possible and never part with it. The only thing I regret is not waiting for the price to drop but I didn't know that Icom was going to disco it. Anyway the funny thing is that the only other radio I was tempted to get and probably would have if I didn't have to wait almost a year (at that time) after I ordered it was the Elecraft K3. The K3's are being built to order now and so I ordered one and 2 weeks ago serial #3494 got to my place. The K3 is setting on top of the P3 and I already love it. I think I have two of the best radios out there. If your thinking about buying a P3, do it, you won't regret it.

Tom, kd0bcf
KC6RHE Rating: 2009-10-04
I give it a 10 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have owned this radio for one week, I bought it used and it works like new. the first think I notice is how quite it is. My radio's are in my home office and my wife commented on how quite it is and that she like this radio alot. For what I paid this is the best radio for me, all the feature I could ever use and more. I would be another for my weekend cabin if I could.
WT3G Rating: 2009-09-27
Outstanding Receiver - What's the fuss? Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've had my ProIII (previously a ProII) for nearly a year and I can't say enough good things about it. The scope is great for spotting any type of signal activity, the DSP is quite good, and the controls are efficiently laid out and easy to work with.

I read through the negative reviews and they were generally focused on "engineering" issues - i.e., the radio has a lot of plastic in it.
Here's a news flash for the old-timers out there: all of the newer radios have a generous quantity of plastic built into them. Unless you're going to throw the radio in the air and watch it (briefly) bounce, or test it with a sledgehammer, or go portable without protecting the rig at all, it is just fine! Knocking the radio based on "it has plastic" is simply absurd.

Real drawbacks: The FT450AT does have, in my judgment, a superior DSP capability to the PROIII. It did do a better job of masking noise without that "watery sound" of heavy DSP use. There is a good solution to the issue: I added a CLRSPKR to my shack and the weakest signals now come through loud and clear, even in heavy static, with the additional judicious use of the ATT button.

This is a very good rig. I can't find a single objective reason to rate it below a 5.
N2PET Rating: 2009-09-13
Excellent Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just recently aquired a pro 3 and so far I must say that I am impressed. The color display is just awesome. Works very well on RTTY as well as beautiful ssb transmit audio. Not a real big icom user, but this is a exception. So far I'm really impressed. Will review again in 6 mos or so. All in all I'm very happy.
K7MHI Rating: 2009-09-11
amazing Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I got one before HRO was out of them, most amazing equipment I have ever used. I had a TS-520 before this. I dont have to read the manual everything is where you want and expect it to be. I would have got the 7600 but I have no looking back for purchasing the 756 amazing. I work only digital btw but have never had any problems with a phone/ssb here and there. I am not a pro, just a joe.
4X1PD Rating: 2009-09-08
Another Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This my second review of the IC-756PROIII.
Well, after two plus years of operating I am pleased to report that the rig still works ... perfectly.
The choise for suitable rig was the result of long, deep research in internet and detailed survey of Israeli HAM colleagues.
My first and mainly concern was - reliability,
second - performance,
third- ease to use operations.
This, why the final choise was - PRO3.
At the early stage of operating this marvelous tranceiver I was very "disappointed" - no mods exept one small for extended Tx. After intensive look in large internet space area.
Maybe they guys in Icom don't understand the real HAM heart ( I`m talking about My heart ) and leave some space for couple mods (hi-hi)?
Anyway, first "joy" for My "itch" hands, was hot issue in the receive position.
Please remember: I`m from 4X/4Z country and about 7+ months we have here a fairly moist summer.
Summer ? No ! It`s real "baked" time here.
The internal speaker was removed by Me, due the poor audio performance in SSB and causes fatigue to my sensitive ears: after about 30 min
radio reception I felt inconvenience,frankly- very uncomfortable audio.
I found that some used, small external speaker (demounted from car cell phone system) surprisingly, was more suitable and better performancer for Me, than others expensive brands,with filters and larger in size.
Now in the last years in amateur radio forums as yahoo.com and cqham.ru has began appearing reports about PRO3 failures.
Mainly PA components failures.
I can try to guess, what do you think ( ham operator must read minds- hi-hi ) - time to operate My "itch" hands again.
Maybe you right, but what about a fear ? (Oh, no! - itch hands and a paranoid ?!?)
But serios, only thinking, that My favor, lovely rig will be dead and I will be in big problem- repairing phase.
I`m sure that most people really hate this phase in any home appliances.
Broken rig its more then just broken refrigerator and washing machine together- after all you can just bought them immediately (and XYL
will be more then happy with shopping procedure and enjoyment from a new goods).
Totally different thing, when ( knock X3 times on wood ) you have BROKEN rig.
In 4X/4Z country you became at this moment a HAM radio listener (if only Tx dead) or if the rig totaly dead- to a HAM radio "widower".
So I`ve make some mods ( thanks to RK4FB and RZ3CC ) to prevent those situation (I hope).
Before PRO3 I`ve used second hand old TS-940SAT from Kenwood. This rig was earned big time from My "itch" hands attention: with serial interface, many mods and I still operated him in My shake sometimes, but the PROIII soon won my sympathy and became My main rig in the shack.
It’s been a joy to own and has opened up a whole new world of ham radio enjoyment.
I`m not a contestman. The freedom variety of choices- this what I like : some time- SSB QSO, some time- Digital QSO (include CW), some time
contest and some time- just listen what other HAM`s talk ... and talk ... and talk ... and I love it.
And time to time- reach some desired QSO with rare, exotic DX expedition (as ZL7 in Chathams Isl. ) and ensure that your rig, PA and antenna work as planned.
"I've been spoiled by the spectrum scope on this rig and feel I'm operating blind without it." - quote from Scott N7SS on yahoo.com forum.
Dear N7SS, I agree 100% with you !
Now, new models and new technologys appeared in the market and I have checked ( just curiosity ) comparative tables of they datasheet and prices also.
My decision up to date - meanwhile to keep run with PRO3.
Please, Mighty HAM`s-SPIRIT, no malfunction ( in ALL My equipment ,if it possible) at list in this period of time, when I still enjoy from this crazy, exciting and carried away hobby, called Amateur Radio.
Please, dear people, just remember- nothing never maded to work forever, although its made in Japan ...
Personally, I will try to memorise this for the hard times of failures.
So far- ZERO problems with My IC-756PROIII- the real-real winner!
Regards,
4Z5NU 73!
KK8ZZ Rating: 2009-09-07
Another Winner Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I have owned the 720, 751, 7000, Pro, Pro2, 746, 746PRO, and nearly everything else that Icom has produced in the past 30 years... I flirted for a time with the wonderful Yaesu FT-2000 station with all the accessories (that DMU2000 with the external screen is VERY XYL approved!) but in the end, I came back to Icom with a fair trade with another amateur who's also happy with his trade results. I find the programming fairly easy, and like the sound of the internal speaker (SP-23 coming this week). The hand mic leaves a little to be desired, but I have the Heil boom mic that hasn't been set up yet, soon to come. The internal scope of band activity is matched by the Yaesu DMU setup, but requires an external display (tho it REALLY looks nice on a monitor!). The new (coming to USA Winter 2010) IC-9100 is interesting, but I'll still take the PROIII as the most affordable higher-end HF rig out there. I had one of the first IC-22 2M rigs over 30 years ago, and I have much appreciated Icom since then. I'm glad to be home again.

de KK8ZZ
K6SRD Rating: 2009-07-20
The best I could ever ask to own... it's not junk. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had my Pro3 for over a year now... it is absolutely rock solid... in performance, ease of operation, as well as durability. With the Pro3, I can break through to stations that had trouble hearing me. Coupled with an amplifier, I have a strong signal with great reports. The audio is fantastic! I would buy another Pro3 in a heart beat. I agree with others that say the 7600 doesn't provide anything worth the price difference.

The manual is thorough and easy to use. I suppose that if you want simplicity, you could find basic, older radios that are just turn on and tune... but, the Pro3 gives me all the extras I need to hold a ragchew or chase DX.

Don't be fooled by the few naysayers... this radio is probably as good as any you'll ever buy or use. It is well built and simple to use.

I wonder how Icom can do any better for the price... it's a pity there won't be a Pro4 (I know the 7600 is supposedly just that... but, isn't).
NC1T Rating: 2009-07-12
Great Radio Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Received mine several weeks ago, always wanted one but could not afford it. Watched the price when I learned it was closing out. Thought I missed it, but checked AES and they had the 200 dollar coupon and power supply. Pulled the trigger and could not be happier, love the scope and receive. Looked at the 7600 at a local ham store on Friday. Very nice radio, but I could not see a 1500 dollar difference, not even close. Like it alot and still learning, although learning is not as tedious as my ft-950 Yaesu. It was and is a great radio after the pep upgrade fabulous receiver. My two cents.