Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
KE4EX Rating: 2009-05-28
Love it !! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Icon 756 Pro III, Well well. Three years playing with that radio. After owning / operating two of these transceivers let me put it this way, I love the little jewel. Now that’s after owning and comparing with the FT 2000 and a FT 2000D. Kenwood TS-2000 and a K-3. I only wish I could give it a higher score. Oh did I say two. Yes, the first one I traded for the FT-2000D. About a week later, I was truly sorry that I had made the trade. Why do I like it so well? Simplicity of operation, ease of adjustments, lets not forget the 100% duty cycle. Lastly Icom service is outstanding. I use mine on digital allot, never flicker, never… Those that know me know very well I am ma die hard Yaesu fan.
However, I do not like the way that Yaesu has treated me and others that I know.
The end user should not be the product tester. Yaesu has had more updates, recalls and changes in their new transceivers than Kenwood, Icom and Flex combined.
Oh did I say Flex, my next rig………
AD4C2009 Rating: 2009-04-22
IC-756ProIII great radio Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have been using Icom radios for many years,I have the Icommania and after owned the 746,7000,756ProII finally jumped into the excellent piece of engineering ProIII,my first one lasted with me two years and I sold it to buy me a TenTec Orion which I kept for just one year and again came back to a new ProIII.I don't think I want to get rid of this other one.I own happily an Elecraft K3 serial 2192 and to tell you the truth the difference between them in most of the cases is marginal,only when the strong station is at 2Khz from my freq is when I switch the antenna to the K3 but in terms of sensitivity both receive equally the weak station,audio quality on RX and TX on the ProIII is better than the K3.
Contrary as been said here,the NR works great and it don't introduce distorsion at all,its just that the quality change a bit but it makes easier to pull weak stations from the band noise,the NB works terrific,I have been suffering from power lines noise for months and only the ProIII can clean that noise,the K3 sometimes can sometimes can't.Why the spectrum analyzer someone asked? well in my case help me a lot to know If there is propagation on certain bands like 10 or 17m,also to know how far from me or if is over or below my freq the station who is bothering me with his splatters,you have to undertand how to use this valuable operating tool.In general the ProIII is a great radio to keep no matter what other radios you wanted to try.I forgot to tell that the receiver noise floor is as low as the K3,in other words both are very quite receivers.My plans are to install the INRAD roofing filter to narrow the first IF down to 4Khz and keep it forever.After that I am sure it will be even better than the new 7600 with the MCF (monolitic crystal filter) as roofers which are not better than "real" xtal filters.

AD4C
Lake Worth,FL
KPAX2 Rating: 2009-04-09
It's more junk Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I sold my ICOM 751A. that was a real radio.........AND a BIG MISTAKE TO SELL IT!

Plastic knobs on the PRO-3, Case is made out of tin. Poorer receiver than my old ICOM 751A.

DSP I never use, just ruins the Audio with Distortion.

NB is poor Quality blanker.

Whats the Scope for?? Still haven't figured that one out yet. Don't need it. It's refresh rate is way too slow to be useful, something to impress your friends I guess..

It's more junk.........
KA4EEF Rating: 2009-03-29
The Next Time Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
The next time I need a rig to be an exciter for my KW, I will sell my car and not pay back the creditor. I 'll use the proceeds from the sale to buy me a new IC-756 Pro III.

I wonder if I can use it in debtor's prison?
W6NFL Rating: 2009-02-26
Great Performance Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just recently bought another PROIII so here is my latest take...
First off im not going to thank anyone for their review just because they agree with me hehe. Yes the lower knobs could have been of higher quality but guess what..they work fine and have yet to hear anyone complain on how those knobs stopped working. Yes the VFO knob doesnt spin like my ole TS 850 did and for me I could care less.
This radio just flat out performs. The receiver handles strong adjacent signals nicely. I totally disagree about a recent reviewer's take on the digital filtering. I love the filtering in this rig and find them very useful. These rigs are now starting the discontinued process after a long 756 series run and i hate to see that. I hope the IC-7600 performs as well as the PROIII.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by W6NFL on 2007-02-17

I havent tried the FT2000 but have heard all about the soldering/solder problems that at least the early versions of that rig had so when i was in the market for a "mid priced" (close to $3k) rig i went for the 756 PROIII.
I cant find anything i dont like about it honestly. Receiver is great and TX Audio is impressive with the IC SM20 Mic. Mic setting (switch located on bottom of mic) is "Low Cut" off. On the rig TX is set at -2 Bass and +4 Treble.. all other SSB TBW settings are at default. Compression is on and set to 10 oclock in "Wide" mode. Mic gain on the rig is also set at 10 oclock. This setting gives a nice rag chew warm sound with enough highs in the audio to keep it from sounding "muddy".
The scope, i cant say enough about it. One warning though... Once you have a rig with a real time band scope, its really hard to run a rig without one. Its just a nice feature to have and one that you tend to rely on the more you use this rig. There are way too many other features to comment on however. In this price range it will be hard to beat this rig in overall performance.
K6VU Rating: 2009-02-25
Awesome Radio! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.

Next to the IC-7800, this rig is tops! Once you learn to use the band scope, you'll never go back to any radio without one. The display is totally awesome, the menus are easy, operating it flows nicely. The receiver is fantastic, the filtering takes a little getting used to, spend some time in the manual, the more you learn about it, the more you'll enjoy it! All knobs, switches, VFO feel solid, very smooth movement,same as the 7800.

In the last 10 years, I have owned all 3 706 models, a 7000 (also awesome!), 746, 746Pro, 756Pro3, and an IC-7800 (brand new, I'm in awe just turning it on!), and have yet to have my first problem with an Icom. If you take care of your radios, they'll take care of you.

Last comment, if you don't own a 100W HF dummy load, quit being a cheap butt and go buy one, then use it! Quit killing your finals and QRMing everyone......

KI4CRA Rating: 2009-02-24
Exceptional Radio! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
First off let me say that this is only a preliminary review. Having only had my ProIII for about 3 weeks now. This is truly an exceptional radio! Having had the 746Pro, there wasn't much of a learning curve involved, actually not much at all. About the only thing I had to get used to was the dual watch feature,usually only used for the few 6 meter repeaters in our area.

I do like the color TFT screen, a welcome change from the 746Pro, where everything is gray scale, which for the rig is quite good. But I digress. Another couple of features that are quite nifty, one is the real time spectrum scope, I usually have mine set to the max, just to monitor what going on around the ban. Another nice feature is the multi function meter, you can monitor you PO, ALC, SWR,etc.

As I said this is just a preliminary review, as this was a gift to myself after getting a much needed raise, and a nice chunk of back pay. I figured that for once in my life I had the cash I was going to treat myself. After contemplating getting the IC-7700 with my wifes' blessing, I decided that the 7700 would be too much radio for my needs. So after due consideration, checking/comparing prices, features of other rigs I settled on the ProIII. I can't say as I'm sorry I did, this should be barring any unforeseen circumstance the only rig for the foreseeable future.

Along with the ProIII I put the Icom SP-23 speaker,(see review), and the Heil HM-10 dual. With those additions I now have my dream station, never thought it possible, but here it is. Will do another full in depth review in about 6 months, till then see you on the air.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
KB6HRT Rating: 2009-02-14
Better Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I was looking at the new 7600 from ICOM and had a 7700 for a short time and did not like the 7700 for my needs so returned it. I all so have a 756PRO that was checked and upgraded by ICOM in 2008 a fine radio that I have owned since 2001. I brought another 756PRO3 from AES LAS VEGAS from my friend Luke at AES. The new radio is as it should be Fantastic. Better receive with higher incoming signal with less noise and more signals. Tuner is more broadband than the 756PRO. I like the analog meters much better than the new 7700&7600 radios (personal choice)all in all this radio is GREAT, sorry it will be discontinued, to me its a winner in my book. The radio works extreanly well with my PW1. I have been very pleased with a ICOM706m2 and a 706M2G a 756PRO, 756PRO3 and my second 756PRO3!.........KB6HRT
KI4FIA Rating: 2009-01-24
Excellent Rig - Excellent Value Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I operate 90%CW, 8%SSB, and 2%Digital modes. I've seen some reviewers commenting about CW issues. However I can say that I have not experienced these on my PRO III. I simply love this rig for CW work (mostly working DX). The only other rig I can compare the PRO3 to is my FT-1000MP MkV (also an excellent rig on CW and now my backup rig).

I've had no issues with my PRO 3 after about 6 months of everyday operating.

I love the adjustable filters for CW, this is where my comment of "Excellent Value" comes in. Just for CW you would have to spend nearly $1000 for CW filters on the FT-1000MP MkV to get the same results as the adjustable filters on the PRO 3.

Currently I have my CW filters set as follows:
Filter #1 700Hz 200Hz Shift
Filter #2 500Hz 200Hz Shift
Filter #3 200Hz 25Hz Shift

I use Filter #1 setting for general tuning the bands and CW Rag-chew if band isn't busy. Filter #2 if there's another QSO 1KHz away. Filter #3 for CW Contesting or other very crowded band conditions. I find this combination of filters allows for hours of operating without getting tired.

Regarding a past comment about CW being a dead issue in rig design, this is totally false. Check out the CW contest results and you'll see an increase in CW entries, Check out the DXpedition QSO totals, in most cases there are more CW QSO's logged than SSB. Since the dropping of the CW requirement I've actually seen an increase of HF CW activity. Those who say CW is a dead issue in rig design is someone who isn't listening in the CW portions of the band. I think its going to be a long time before we see a $2000+ rig that is SSB only....

I've recently interfaced my PRO III to an ACOM 1000 amp and it was very easy to do. The Pro3 makes an excellent exciter for your amp.

The only semi-negative thing I could say about the Pro 3 is how it handles the dual watch (dual receive). I've operated my FT-1000MkV for about 4 yrs before getting the Pro 3 and love the FT-1000's independent VFO knob, volume control, and S-meter for the second receiver. I'm still getting use to they way dual watch is used on the Pro 3.

In summary this rig is built for CW, SSB and Digital modes. It can handle everyday use without a problem as mine is on usually for 15+ hours everyday 7 days aweek. Excellent value.

George - KI4FIA
K9KEN Rating: 2009-01-22
CW DEAD ISSUE Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
It seems alot of negative comments have been about the CW portion of this rig ! I must say since it is no longer a requirement of the FCC why worry about CW and this rig? It was very seriously designed for the ssb voice op's ! I dont think Icom see's a very bright future in CW! On the the hand if your looking for a good CW rig there are a quite a few older rigs that are great CW rigs like some of the TEN TEC rigs! Just some thoughts ! I own a Mark V field also and feel it is a very good rig for ssb also as well as CW except for the key clicks fix!

73's