Manager

Review Summary For : ICOM IC-756 Pro III
Reviews: 225MSRP: 2700
Description:
IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
Product is not in production
More Info: http:// http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
152254.8
KF7NN Rating: 2009-01-10
broke again Time Owned: more than 12 months.
after losing the broadband amp last year it seems it lost it again, both times the rig will not put out power, the rig was just sitting here and when i tried to make a contact i had no power again.
think i will have it repaired and then get something
different.
WB6YZZ Rating: 2008-11-23
Great rig! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I had an SDR-1000 and had built a SoftRock radio and was hooked on SDR. The ability to change bandwidth on SSB and the bandscope is just unbelievable. Once you've used a panadapter on a receiver, you simply can't live without it. At least that's my take, as I like to do a lot of listening and perusing the band.

Being a software engineer, I spend all day staring into a computer screen. It bugged me to no end to have to do this to get on ham radio. So I got the Pro III which has all of these things combined. No regrets! I can turn on the rig, start tuning around, and have the bandscope to observe activity on the band. Great! It has all of the latest technology in one package, and it still feels like a conventional radio. Of course there is the ability to read RTTY right on the screen! The only minor complaint is that they didn't include a CW decoder.
W8HAS Rating: 2008-11-13
GREAT RADIO !!! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned many HF radios over the years and I must say the Icom 756PRO III to be very respectable and a great joy to operate. It is one of the best in its price range. No problems in the year plus in the shack - The spectrum scope and quiet receive make it a pleasure to use. Its a 5 in the real world. 73,s Harry W8HAS
W3QJ Rating: 2008-11-05
Satisfied Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Well, there's not much to add that hasn't already been stated. There's good radio gear out there. Being respectful of all opinions, I still enjoy mine very much.

Terry-W3QJ
M0OGY Rating: 2008-11-05
4 years old and still superb!! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Hello from North Lincs in the UK.I got the first Pro3 in the uk (serial number ending "008". I bought it from Mls&Sons in Oct '04 including matching Psu/ext speaker and Sm 20 mic.I run the radio on an Heil icm mic for ease.I use it mainly on 20mtrs driving a Linearamp UK amp to an Opti-beam Ob6-3m.The rig is so easy to use and has been fault free. The bandscope is just superb!!. The only gripe is the small cheap looking knobs. I like Icoms, also using an Ic910HX on Vhf/Uhf, My other radios are - Yaesu Ft1000D (all time fav'),Kenwood Ts2000,Yaesu Ft726R,and various modern Fm vhf/uhf rigs....73's Dave M0ogy........catch you on 20mtrs!!
W3QE Rating: 2008-10-25
Best of the Best---For Me Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Since 1982 I have own many HF radios starting with a TS520S. With these reviews you can find as many different opinions as there are people who own them. Some reviews make sense and some are simply irrationally written at an obvious emotional period for the author for whatever the reason. Everyone has an opinion and sometimes one wonders what that guy is talking about especially since you experienced the polar opposite with the same radio. Obviously being an amateur for 30 years does not determine the level of common sense in some of these strange reviews we all read here on eHam, and I mean of any and all manufactures included. The FT2000 is the perfect example with varied opinions from junk to perfection, so what is it anyway? Junk or Excellent?

For me an all CW OP for over 26 years and as many radios I find the PROIII the best of the best with the K2 coming in a close second. This is stated after playing with all kinds of radios including the latest SDR models which are neat even though I have sold everyone I have every owned.

The acid test for me is a contest or going down to 7.003 calling CQ DX late night with a good antenna and 1 KW output when the bands are wide open. Try this and then try to separate the 10 or 15 stations calling all at once! It’s fun and it’s a real challenge. With my experience the PROIII can pick them out individually and quickly, unlike the new SDR radios where you need to adjust 50 dials at once before you can hear anything, or inferior receivers where you can only hear about half of the calling stations.

Everyone knows how well the K2 can hear weak signals ---doing A&B tests switching between both the PROIII and the K2 in seconds I find the Icom wins out, but the K2 with it’s astounding DSP is not far behind and in fact I feel the DSP is better on the K2 than the Icom.

Every radio I have ever owned is inferior to these two great receivers for weak signal CW signals buried in the qrn/qrm, that is of course discounting the ten grand radios which I have yet to try so can not comment on.

I seldom use SSB but the few times I do and only using the hand mic provided with the PROIII, I consistently receive unsolicited accolades for the audio quality .

Like I said in a previous review, if the PROIII doesn’t meet your standards than you are either upside down in your thinking or impossible to please and just completely unrealistic. Look at the plus reviews and then the negative reviews and then use common sense which is uncommon when it comes to many things including these sometimes twisted and strange reviews. For example: My 30 year old radio is better, or my tube radio with $2000 in modifications is better. The manufacturer should have never stopped making this radio 30 years ago because it the best ever made, yeah right-----you get my point.
GM6TVR Rating: 2008-10-19
Happy teddy........ Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My Pro3 travelled from Scotland to Bahrain in my suitcase, used it out there for almost two years and carried back in my suitcase again. Stood the treatment that the baggage handlers gave it, even Terminal five at Heathrow did not daunt it. Anyway, it is back home with me now, up and running, no problems at all, I am delighted with its performance. Sold my IC7400 out there, bought a brand new one as soon as I touched base. My TS-950SDX is happy to see me back too!!!!
K4ZMI Rating: 2008-10-10
756pro3 vs ts570dg Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
The 756pro3 is Almost better than the lowly ts570dg.

The only 2 faults I have with the 756pro3 is as follows;

When there is a moderate to high atmospheric noise, the noise reducer does a great job Except there is a rather annoying popping noise and S meter spikes that coincide with the peak apmospheric crashes. The little Kenwood does NOT have this problem.

Now in regards to pulling a very weak CW signal out of the noise.

TS570dg, 270hz filter on, noise reduction on high, dsp at 200; on CW reception
this lowly little rig does better than the IC756pro3.

With the two above issues, seems as if the icom 756pro3 is a compromise radio for CW reception. I feel that totally relying on digital filters is a big mistake. Digital plus physical filters should have been the design scheme.
MM0PMW Rating: 2008-09-26
Great Transceiver Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I enjoy owning and operating the 756 Pro III,I did own the original Pro,and did enjoy that Transciever also.The 5-inch colour display is good, as is the DSP twin passband tuning, there are many other points about this radio that make it a first class Transceiver.It has given me many hours of enjoyment,and just like all my other Icom equipment has been trouble free.
IW4EMV Rating: 2008-09-22
great disappointment Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
hi
Two weeks ago I decided to sell my FT1000MP MkV and buy an IC 756 PRO III...
...just put on the work, I could appreciate the beautiful display for its clarity in providing the information;
the receiver is silent, but nothing so special that I hear often speak from many OM owners ...
The front panel is simple to understand, but the knobs, including that of the VFO, seem more appropriate for a toy to a right transciever ...
... but the thing that I'm deeply disappointed is the transmitter: I found the timbre absolutely hitting, and quite depressing the lack power that you can pull out!
...in my opinion, everything to redesign!
I cannot understand much success for a radio absolutely normal,but not a DX weapon, mechanically very sensitive...and with a high price (about 3.000 dollars!): maybe people remain enchanted by the monitor scope? ...yes, I really think so.
Leonardo iw4emv
p.s.
owned radios: Yaesu FT1000MP MkV (DX GUN!), Kenwood TS 870, Kenwood TS 850, Yaesu FT847; Yaesu FT 857D;
actually owned: IC751A, IC720A and ..Yaesu FT2000-D (taken in exchange of 'IC 756 PRO III) ... the best I've ever owned!