Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00143.4
K3QYE Rating: 2014-09-12
Very good supply for me Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Owned for almost two years always powers up and used it to power my ham 100 watt transceivers. It had no receiver noise on the HF or VHF rigs.

It looks like you either get a good one or a not so good one when you buy this one. It worked as well as my Astron RS35 and it had meters. The voltage meter was accurate when measured with a VTVM.
For folks on a limited budget I would recommend this Power Supply.
NV8A Rating: 2010-12-30
Barely OK Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this p/s a couple years ago from a commercial vendor at a hamfest. When I got it home, the voltage meter displayed 0V, but a DVM across the output terminals showed normal voltages. I opened it up and found that one meter terminal was not connected; the wire could not have simply come loose, because it was tucked out of the way through a cable tie and would not reach the the meter without unthreading it from the cable tie.

Everything worked OK until a day or two ago, when I noticed that the voltage could not be increased beyond 13.6. When I opened it up, I realized for the first time that the 2-conductor power card (which of course had always seemed wimpy) was anchored not by the cord clamp (which was intended for a thicker cord) but (not very securely) by hot-melt glue! It could not possibly have passed UL testing -- which it did not claim to have done, of course.

I'm assuming that the low voltage can be corrected by replacing the limiting resistor in the regulator circuit.

I might have done better to have bought the used Astron that was for sale for less money at that same hamfest.
K9FON Rating: 2008-11-26
It still works Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought mine 6 years ago and it still works. I never shut it off and keep it on t all times. It never gets hot. I have an Astron hooked to my good gear and use the Workman for my old stuff that is easily replaceable.
N5IZ Rating: 2008-07-12
not bad Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
were can i find a service manual on a workman ps 35..and who makes them..i like it just wsnt to make it a linear p/s

t-1@wichitaonline.net
AD9Z Rating: 2008-03-02
JUNK!!! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
When I first bought this pile of junk I brought it home and found loose connections & screws everywhere! This was brand new! Save yourself the trouble & buy a good astron.
KB8RYA Rating: 2008-02-13
Junk Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Bought this last Sunday from a dealer at our hamfest.Hooked it up the next day..Worked till Wed
night and the voltage went all over the place..It shut down my Ft8900 from hight voltage..Shut it down and turned it back on was stable but the max voltage was 13v...Shut it down and went back to my old North Electric supply..It will go back for a refund.Could not trust it again.
Don kb8rya
WA5RR Rating: 2007-06-09
Works FB Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This supply found its way into my shack after my primary supply died during a contest weekend. I looked at various places around my local area and saw this heavy-duty monster at an electronics supply store.

It's been in constant service running a 50-watt VHF rig on Echolink for over three years without a hitch. I really like the variable voltage adjustment and the built-in meters. It didn't cost much either which is the best feature.

N2OMK Rating: 2007-06-09
Great for the Price Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have a PS25, and it has served me well for 3 years. I give it a good cleaning every 3 months, as the big muffin fan pulls in a lot of dust, but keeps the 6 power transistors COLD. The huge heat sink and transformer make up a LOT of weight. It is definitely NOT a portable unit, unless you like hernias..HI HI. The only problem I had with the unit was a bad connection on the fan ground, I actually ran the unit at 8-10 Amps for a year without the fan running, and the transistors never got hot. hooked fan back up after a year of not wanting to open the case. Still have the unit, and STILL working flawlessly. If the box even looks like is is open from a shop, DO NOT BUY IT!!! Make sure it is NEW!
KD9MF Rating: 2007-02-26
great value on a robust supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
big, heavy duty transformer type power supply. its a bargain. it can get broken up in shipping, true, but so can they all. if you bought it that way from a dealer and picked it up, i KNOW they are warranted, so take it back for another one!
mine is on 12 hours a day and in use all the time on my workbench. never a failure.
N8EKT Rating: 2006-01-05
CHINA JUNK! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased a PS20 model and it was full of bad solder connections and loose mounting hardware.
It arrived with the muffin fan loose from its mounts and screws ready to fall out.
These are typical MADE IN CHINA PRODUCTS.
Spend the extra money on a Astron, it may keep your shack from burning to the ground some day.