Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : MFJ-1263 Microphone/Radio Switch
Reviews: 22MSRP: 99
Description:
Switches two mics or mic/headset between two radios. Lets you mix and match any combo. Takes common PTT switch to control both radios. Switches audio between speaker and headphones.
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00223.7
AE7NM Rating: 2022-03-01
Problems with Icom: Can Not Mix Dynamic and Electret Mic's Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
ICOM transceivers use electret microphones that require phantom power over the audio line. Most other manufacturers use dynamic microphones. The phantom power can cause no output from dynamic microphones. Dynamic microphones have lower output levels (and impedance) than electret mics. Recent ICOM transceiver models have a provision for turning the phantom power off and they have higher mic gain so they are supposed to work with dynamic mics. If you use only dynamic mics, you might be able to get this switch box to work with a mix of modern Icom and other manufacturers transceivers.

I use this box to switch between. a Icom specific Heil Pro-7 headset that has an electret mic and an antique Shure 556 dynamic microphone. The transceivers are both Icom: an IC-7610 and an IC-9700. The problem is adapting the dynamic mic to the Icom transceivers. I used adynamic mic to Icom adapter cable from Heil that has a capacitor in the audio line between the 3-pin mic connector and the 8-pin transceiver connector to block the phantom power. I added an in-line preamplifier after the microphone to boost the output. This all works well, but it was expensive.

I fail to see the logic behind the AUX input. If you use it, you can't plug a microphone into the corresponding input because that would put the mic audio and aux signal in parallel. One possible use for the AUX input is to use the jumpers to connect it to the Up/Down/playback function conductors in the mic cable, if your rig has them. You can then use the aux button to switch a control box between the transceivers.

Both of my transceivers have 2 independent receivers, so the single radio/mono headphone output is almost useless. I use the phone jack to store the 1/8 in to 1/4 in adapter for the headphones.
K7JQ Rating: 2020-08-04
2nd one - works as it should Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Purchased this to switch a Heil Goldline Pro and Heil Pro-Set Plus iC mic/headset between an Icom 746Pro and 706MkIIG. Works fine when switching the mics (both with 8-pin round adapters)into the 746Pro (8-pin round input), mainly because the internal jumpers are default set for Icom 8-pin round configurations! Trying to set the configuration from 8-pin round to 8-pin modular for the 706MkIIG is another story. Logic would tell you to simply match up the two radio's pin-out numbers, but I've tried everything I could and it doesn't work. There are separate jumper blocks for the common PTT switch and the manual is confusing in its description of configuring for different mics. Can't key up the 706. I have an inquiry pending with MFJ's project engineer on a solution. Also, they only have ONE speaker input to switch between speaker and headphones (with attenuating volume control). You'd think they would have TWO inputs to switch, since there's TWO radios involved, for maximum flexibility. What were they thinking?? Soooo....as of now it functions as their model 1260, which switches two mics between one radio! Other than that, no RFI (with 500 watts), build quality looks good. Will update this review when (and IF) I hear from their project engineer.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Update-8/4/20...I sold the first one when I went back to having one radio. This new one is being used with two Icom IC-7300's and two Heil mics...ICM and ProSet iC. With two radios of the same brand, and two mics of the same brand and connectors, hook up is simple...no need to change any jumpers inside. Pins 1 through 8 in to pins 1 through 8 out. But I imagine working with a mix and match of different brands of radios and mics, the jumper configurations could be frustrating. Not 'every' combo is listed in the manual. Operationally, it does the job...easy seamless switching of two mics between two radios. The speaker/headphone switch is nice, but as pointed out in my previous review, having only one doesn't make sense. I don't use it...made my own outboard switch.
HB9GFX Rating: 2020-08-04
Quality of MFJ-1263 Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I own a MFJ-1263 now for about a year now. In the beginning I was not able to connect an IC-7100 and an IC-7300 to it. FIrst of all the description to connect a RJ45 Icom Rig with a 8pin round plug was missing. After the great support of MFJ they delivered thie jumper settings . But then it still did not work. After a long back and foreward with teh MFJ Support, I assumed to put the MFJ 1263 into peaces and looked for failures. I found a few soldering points which where not soldered . After fixing it, it worked. Now after nealy a year of successful using and changing from IC-7100 to IC9700 I noticed again a failure of missing modulation on Mic B. . THis was cased of the MIC-A/B switch which fails from time to time and I have to switch in and out that it works again. Summery of the MFJ-1263 for me is poor quality but great functionality.
If MFJ will look for better quality or better end checks this part will be a great part. 73 de Stefan HB9GFX
AA7VA Rating: 2020-02-08
Does just what it is supposed to do Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I wanted a way to use my boom mic on multiple radios, and perhaps use an original mic here and there if required. The MFJ 1283 does just this.

At first I used the 1/8" jack in the back to input the mic, with the switches set to use Mic B for this, but later put the connector for the 8-pin input on it and now use it on Mic A, while using the back jack for possible use of my old Astatic D-104 or other mics.

The radios switches are for HF or VHF/UHV, the Yaesu FT450D or FT7800 - and that is a problem! The 7800 has the Yaesu 6 pin modular, while the 450D has the 8 pin modular. The 6 pin as the PTT combined with the mic element in a weird way, and I could not get the resister setup to work right, so ended up using the Heil connector for the Yaesu 6 pin setup. That works great!
I use the 450's mic setup as input on Mic B now, and it is available if needed, but I like the boom mic so much better that I have never needed to use the hand mic.

One thing I wish MFJ would look into is modifying the Speaker/Headfone system a bit. The components look as if they would handle stereo, which my speaker system (Behringer) uses, so it is not used at all. Since it is a separate system I may re-purpose it for something else, perhaps to switch the D104 between the Yaesu and the Heathkit.

Overall, I really like it and it does what I required. I looked at making my own, but the signal separations, audio transformers, grounding etc. were more than I wanted to get involved with, and it does not induce any unwanted noise anywhere in my system. A very satisfying component.
K4TK Rating: 2017-12-11
recently bought one ... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought it to run my Heil PR 781 and Yaesu MD-100 mics on boom setups...and to go between the mics and between rigs (Yaesu FT DX 1200 HF rig and Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter rig).

Once setup, the rig works well. MFJ support was of little help on setup...and they didn't have info on setup for my rigs. But i used the wiring diagram that came with the owner instructions....and was able to trace out wires and using the pinouts from the manuals for the 2 radios, was able to figure out the proper jumper settings for my two radios and mics.

So yes, once you trace out the wires and figure out the correct jumper settings for the mic pinouts of your rigs, you can indeed run MULTIPLE radios with MULTIPLE mics. I go back and forth between the two radios and mics, even though the mic pinouts and PTT are totally different between my radios.

Oh, and I made sure to leave unused jumpers on the two radios OPEN....so as not to get any keying voltage back on a pin on the other radio that wouldn't be looking for a voltage on that pin!

So once you figure out YOUR config (again, without much help from MFJ)....or if you were lucky enough to have your exact config listed in their manual....this thing works great.

One other note, I found that the wiring diagram had some errors....as in the pinouts to the radios on the radio end are reversed on the diagram. MFJ tech support DID CONFIRM that for me................which of course it critical, if you're tracing out your own wiring config for your rig!

Now that I have it configed, I switch back and forth between mics for A/B comparisons instantly. And, I use either of my two mics on my two rigs.
K6SDW Rating: 2016-12-12
It works FB Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Sorry MFJ haters......the MFJ-1263 works and works as advertised!

Expensive, so I gave it a 4 Star, but it works.

Cheers All
K5MP Rating: 2016-03-20
Love it, but I have a question Time Owned: N.A.
I've owned and used my MFJ-1263 with extremely good results switching a Heil Goldline Boom mic and a couple various now Heil IC pro headset between a IC-756 Pro, and one other HF rig (a Yaesu followed by a replacement Kenwood). Now my challenge is to configure to switch my two mics, each wired for ICOM round connector between the IC-756 and a newly acquired Elecraft K2. Has anyone duplicated this configuration, and if so, what was your resulting Radio Jumper pin assignments for the K2 as Radio #2? I was told the pinout is same as Kenwood, but that did not pan out. I hope I can make this solution work without modifying anything in the K2. I'd like to know if anyone has accomplished this task. Thanks.
WD5FUN Rating: 2016-03-19
IT DOES WHAT IT IS ADVERTISED TO DO Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I gave it a 5 because it does exactly what MFJ says it will do. It allows you to integrate two microphones with two radios and does it very well. I agree it would be an even more useful device if it provided for two speaker inputs and two headphone outputs, but it is very clear reading the marketing information that it provides one speaker input and output.

The quality of workmanship is very good for the price range. The unit is working perfectly for my needs allowing me to use a Heil PR-781 and a Heil pro set elite as microphones for a Kenwood TS-590 and an Apache Labs Anan 10.

I believe that MFJ should consider offering another switch incorporating a second speaker input and a second headphone output.
N4UP Rating: 2015-07-24
WD9GJK is Right Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I must echo what WD9GJK has said about headphones/speakers. I understand this is a microphone switch, not a speaker switch. So WHY have ONE headphone/speaker input and ONE headphone/speaker output ???

It would have made more sense to have NO headphone/speaker capability. And much more sense to have TWO.

I have both a conventional microphone and a Pro 7 headset that I would like to switch between two radios. This product CANNOT handle switching one headset between two radios. So I did what WD9GKJ did, and added an external audio switch.

It would not have taken much to make this the perfect microphone/radio switch.
WD9GJK Rating: 2014-01-25
Jumper Blocks Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I am the owner of a MFJ 1263 microphone switch. I have owned it for approximately 4 years now and have never had it on the air until today. I am also the proud owner of a Yaesu FT 736R and a Yaesu Ft 847 this Microphone switch was to be used for VHF contesting and weak signal work in the VHF-UHF bands.
I could never get the switch to work between the 2 Yaesu radios. Because of the MFJs Jumper blocks in the box, I have contacted the MFJ Technical Suport Line and was told that the they would not offer and solutions or sugjestion as they don’t want to be held responsible. I might burn up a Radio OK CYA I understand this. I have found the solution to this problem which is a common ground in Microphone connector on the 736 R this makes the box function as it should. When you place a jumper in the box.
Now for the second half of the MFJ 1263 problem. MFJ has a headphone jack on the frond of the box and they tell you that you can use a Headset on the radio. But when you look at the back of the box there is only one Radio input for the box. Again Call up the Tec Guru at MFJ and he will tell you that it is a microphone switch not a speaker switch. It will switch between 2 Radios and 2 microphones but not the headset of 2 radios. My solution was went to radio shack and for 10 bucks 1 Switch and a couple of audio cables I completed what MFJ could not. An almost perfect microphone switch.
Thanks for eham and Don K2DC for there information in an article Yaesu FT-736R Mic Not Keying

Thanks for reading