Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00124.4
K4JPN Rating: 2019-04-04
RFI Problem Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought a used RS-7A for my K2 about 18 years ago, it worked great until I got on 80M and 160M and then it was susceptible to RFI even at 5W. It was not my antenna as a dummy load running 10W would cause problems.

I tried everything, with RF filtering on the input and toroids on the output of the Astron 7A, and grounding everything together but nothing helped with the Astron 7A being susceptible to low power rf on 80M and 160M.

I finally bought a used 7A Tripp Lite which I have been using for the past 15 years with no problems when I use my K2 in QRP on any band. I use a Astron 20A when I go to 100W with my K2 and do not have any problems. I have had the Astron 20A for about 15 years.
N2MDV Rating: 2018-03-31
My 1st Aston, but certainly not my last. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Bought this supply to power 25W 2M mobile radios and AM/SSB CB's, as well as home power HT's. That was in February 1991, and today I use it to EXT power 1980's high powered large boomboxes, which it does beautifully. Still powering, and most likely will for years to come.
WB0FDJ Rating: 2012-11-03
Good supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Got this to power my IC-703 plus. Plugged it in, turned it on and it's worked since without a hitch. No hash that I can find. Nothing fancy but does the job. For lower current needs it's a keeper.
W7MAG Rating: 2011-12-31
It just works. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It's one of those items in the shack I never think about because I don't have to. This thing has been in light duty operation for the past 10 years or so.

But then again, that's been my experience with all my Astron power supplies.

KS4HY Rating: 2008-05-25
I can't say enough good things about the Astron RS-7a Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I just can't say enough good things about the Astron RS-7a power supply. I bought mine used back in either 1984 or 1985. It has seen countless hours of use, and it has never failed. The protection circuit trips so fast that an external fuse in the B+ wire never gets a chance to blow.

If this one ever fails I will surely fix it. If it could not be fixed I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I had two Radio Shack power supplies prior to owning the RS-7a, and those power supplies are not even in the same league as the Astron RS-7a. You could not ask for a better power supply, and I could not be happier with my 20+ year old purchase.
NA0AA Rating: 2007-07-23
Excellent supply Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I really don't know how to evaluate something that works so well. Mine is used as an idle-current power supply for the shack, providing radio idle current plus a bit to keep the 100 amp hour AGM battery topped off. The battery then makes up the difference when I transmit. If I feel long winded, then the bigger supply comes on - maybe once a month or so. Since it is diode isolated, I appreciate being able to adjust the voltage to deliver a true 13.8 volts at the battery terminal.

I currently have three Astron PS, two conventional and one switching. No complaints.
N4GG Rating: 2007-05-25
Excellent Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Bought mine new over 20 years ago and have had it on more than 50% of the time since. Never fails, never does anything except churn out the power. Numerous shorts and other abuse have not bothered it at all. I'd buy another in a second if this one ever goes - which it shows no sign of doing.
KN0V Rating: 2007-05-20
No fail power supply ... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought the RS7-A power supply along with an Azden PS-2000 2M radio over 10 years ago. The power supply has never failed once during this period of time. It has powered the 2M radio and the MFJ ARB-701. I never turn it off and it has been subject to a few home power outages.
W5AOX Rating: 2007-02-10
Fails Often Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought my rs-7a used at a hamfest, and it was then in working condition. Age is a factor, but it EATS 723's when I try to leave it on continuously. It will not tolerate a continuous load of a mere amp or so. Evidently designed only for intermittent use. The output pass transistor never fails but the 723 does. My homebrew regulated supply does not suffer this ailment.....
K3NG Rating: 2006-04-15
Great supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own three of these. One blew the 723 chip a couple years ago; it was easy to troubleshoot and repair. The design of these supplies is rather simple and a joy to work on.