Manager

Product is in production
More Info: http://www.wsplc.com/pages/pdf/w-25xm.pdf
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
MD0MDI Rating: 2015-03-10
Don't Waist your money Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I purchased 2 of these many years back now and both I have had to repair many times, as well as this I have repaired 4 just this year. Really cheaply made, just as well they are cheap to fix, personally, go old school and go linear, or a better quality Switch Mode PSU.
MM3XXW Rating: 2010-01-09
Noisy ....... Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Well yes, it's a wee bit noisier than silent but apart from that a perfectly adequate little psu for the money!
G0TSM Rating: 2008-10-05
Too noisey for a UK shack Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought this PSU to use in Barbados as the mains supply voltage is switchable for either 110 or 220. The fan is noisy as mentioned in other posts, however, when used in a hot country and used in a contest the fan speed was ideal. The PSU ran very cool. I have tried it at home and the fan noise is definately a distraction in the shack, therefore it's packed away ready for the next trip.
Worldwide Tropical DXped - 5/5
European shack - 3/5
G4ICB Rating: 2007-11-20
Good psu Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I got my W25XM given as a frebie when I bought my IC718. It's always worked fine, no problem with fan noise like my W25AM which sounds like a jet engine!
M3NSP Rating: 2007-05-03
Poor! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Bought new a year ago - paid the extra for the metered version. Used on only a few occasions since new (99% of my operating is mobile). Turned on a few weeks back for the first time in months - to find one bulb meter lighting at twice the normal brightness (failing bulb - has since blown!) and the current meter is no longer indicating anything useful (no matter how many amps drawn - always moves up to 1A and no further, yet the meter needle floats freely when tilted). These may be minor faults - but incredibly frustrating after such little use. Due to an internal PCB being screened in a metal case, and a fiddley design - it seems more hassle to fix than its worth. It's still delivering the power - but the extra spent on the metered version was wasted. Plus as others have commented - it's NOISY. I have 3 PC's on in the room - and this PSU can be heard over all of them. Not impressed. However, in it's favour - in the little operating I've done - I've not heard any noise on HF from the switching design. If buying, go for the cheaper meter-less version, and locate it as far as possible from the operating position - ideally under a desk with sufficient air to breathe, but with enough baffling to reduce the fan noise :)
Steve - M0SPN
M0DIY Rating: 2005-04-08
Does the job but noisy Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just taken delivery of this PSU. Usual small SM PSU footprint, but switch it on and forget about having a conversation with anyone in the shack (ok slight exageration) - very noisy with the fan always on. I'm sending it back tomorrow and getting a Salex 1223.
G4HLX Rating: 2005-03-31
Neat little PSU but very noisy fan Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This tiny lightweight unit supplies 25A with no problem. Voltage variable between about 9 - 15V, with a notch in the control to set 13.8V easily. Amazing at only 17 x 7 x 18 cm, weighs about 4 lb - a fraction of the size of a linear PSU of the same spec.

No sign of any RF noise on my receiver.

Two annoyances: first, if you turn the voltage control up to max the unit cuts out, presumably on its over-voltage crowbar. Second, and most serious, the little fan is extremely noisy. Far noisier than any equivalent spec PSU that I've come across, linear or switched mode. The fan runs flat out continuously, not a thermal switch as the advertising suggests. It's so loud that I can only recommend it's use if background noise is not important to you (unfortunately it is, in my shack). Pity, it's such a nice little unit in all other respects.