Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Jetstream JTPS28
Reviews: 34MSRP: 79.95
Description:
25/28 amp power supply. 25 amp continuous / 28 amp peak.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps28.shtml
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00344.6
KJ4KKI Rating: 2016-08-09
Does a Great Job at a Good Price Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this a few years back to take portable, such as using in an RV, vacations to a motel, and a trip to a park pavilion, etc. I have mostly good comments, with only a gripe or two.

It is fairly compact. It is certainly tiny when put next to my linear power supply, not to mention a whole lot lighter. It seems to do well on transmit and nobody has reported any kind of hash or garbled signals from my radio. It fits in a go kit, suitcase or my duffel bag without any problem.

If placed directly next to the radio, you can definitely hear the fan. It seems that the fan runs most of the the time. However, given the convenience of a small power supply, it would be nit-picking it by considering this a major issue. If any fan noise bothers you, set it on a different shelf, or in a motel or picnic area, just place it under the table on a chair or on a picnic cooler, etc. It is certainly not anything that bothers me.

It does a great job for me. I did not feel a need to get the model with meters as it would have been as large as my linear unit at home.

It does have some spring terminals in back for lower amperage draw radios. As with all power supplies, why can't they put the main posts on the back? I hate large wires with fuse holders in front of my power supplies. But, that seems like the way it is.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KJ4KKI on 2011-08-07

I got this to have to take on vacation, trips, etc. I specifically liked it because it is a small footprint and affordable. I haven't noticed any hash so far, but the bands haven't been good for DX lately. The fan light stays on. As for binding posts on the front, my 30A linear supply has all the posts on the front. Cosmetically, it would look nicer, but it doesn't affect function. It is a good size to fit in my satchel with my 450. To make it more versatile, I added several power poles to have a jumper cable so I don't have to unscrew my 450 power cable from my linear supply. I also have jumpers for my mobile that are both ring terminals for the front, and tinned ends for the rear spring connectors. About the only negative I found was that I had to push the power plug rather firmly into the back,as any movement or vibration would cause it to turn off.
N9AOP Rating: 2016-02-29
works well Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this supply 4 years ago from R&L to use in my camper. So far I have had no problems with it. The price is right and it works--what more could you want.
Art
N5KPK Rating: 2015-01-01
A bit noisy but works great Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Have had mine for a little over a month. Apparently mine is one of the ones with a noisy fan but with my headphones on, I can't hear it. No hash, nothing in my FT-950 or any other equipment here in the shack. I like it and if need be I'll get another one. Giving it a 4.5 because the fan could be a tad quieter.
N6BOB Rating: 2014-09-24
Great Portable Supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Works just fine... 13.8 volts DC, no noise on HF, quiet, and SMALL and easy to carry portable or as a bench supply.

I modified mine with a pair of Power Poles on the back keeping the front the same... took about an hour to drill, file, snap in, solder jumpers to front panel the pair of poles.
I have the best of both worlds front for easy testing and a 12 volt DC socket to charge a battery or power something small and the rear for powering my radio. My friend took out the front 12 v socket and wired a pair of PP in a socket on the front. Both systems work great.

A Best Buy in my book and available from a number of suppliers for under 90 dollars.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by N6BOB on 2009-05-30

Sharp looking and quiet as far as rf hash goes. The internal fan on mine is a little loud, actually it is the sound of air being drawn into the case but not too bad as I have found with the MFJ switcher.
This is a very nice looking professional supply. The front outputs are for up to 28 amps and the Lighter socket up to 7 amps and 7 amps on the back for another set of terminals. Very nice job. About the exact size of my Samples SEC 1223 but with front terminals. Would be good to take portable is it could run multiple rigs... HF and VHF at the same time.
Good job Jetstream.
K9FB Rating: 2014-09-24
Yes, it's noisy Time Owned: more than 12 months.
For five years my JTPS28 has been in continuous service powering my station from my garage on the other side of the hamshack wall. It was evicted from the hamshack after the first day due to the annoying fan noise. If I were running a window air conditioner in the same room, I might not hear the fan. But in my quiet shack, the fan noise cut through the silence like a knife. Furthermore, the fan is mounted at an angle off horizontal in the enclosure that hastens the wear on its sleeve bearing. The first fan began squealing loudly within one year and had to be replaced. Now the supply sits on its side so that the fan is oriented vertically, and the fan life has been doubled. I'm now on the second replacement fan. Otherwise, the JTPS28 has supplied power reliably and efficiently. I have no qualms with that, but even my old ears are offended by both the level and the characteristics of the fan noise. It still gets my attention every time I walk out into the garage.
W5TD Rating: 2014-09-23
Noisy fan?? Give me a break! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Where do some of these reviewers live-in a Monastery where the monks have taken a vow of silence? I can't believe some of their homes are that quiet that they can hear the fan in this unit!

I have had one of these since I picked it up in a trade in 2006-that is 8 years without a problem. I did clean it out once or twice to get the dust out of it, that is about it. It just keeps working and working. Never really turn it off unless I go on vacation and I have taken it on a couple of trips with me as well. Nice, small and very light, and will handle any 100 watt rig with ease. I have run a 706 series radio at 15 watts on 2m driving a Mirage amp at 80 watts with no problem on the PS.

To be honest, I had forgotten that it has a fan until I read these reviews. Put my hand down by it, and felt the fan blowing air lightly. That is how quiet it is-I couldn't even hear it. The fan on my Icom 706MKII is much louder when it kicks into high gear, but that doesn't bother me either as I would rather have a little fan noise than a dead rig.

I only have 1 kid, I didn't realize how noisy my house is until I read some of these reviews. I am only 47 so I didn't think my hearing is as shot as it must be. Give me a break!
K4KPK Rating: 2012-10-10
Loud fan with zero load Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
The fan noise is a real problem. Even with zero load, the fan is too loud. If I move it far enough away from my operating position for the fan noise to be acceptable, the cable carrying the 13.8V is so long that I get significant voltage drop.

Under heavy load, the fan noise is way too loud.

I knew about the heavy load noise when I bought it. The advertised "quiet" mode, when lightly loaded isn't there. Truth-in-advertising would call it "less thunderous."
KT0DD Rating: 2012-07-21
Good..moderate fan noise Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I like my JPS 28, but notice the fan when it kicks on high under heavier loads. To be fair, I was powering my TS480HX 200w rig at approx. 120 watts on field day with just one supply which worked it at its max. I liked the supply otherwise so much, I decided to get a second one to power the 480 properly with 2 supplies. Running 2 supplies hopefully will keep the fans from swithcing to high too often with SSB communications. Too bad they can't make switcher supplies without fans...hihi. No RF switcher hash noticed at all, and otherwise it's been trouble free.
W2PL Rating: 2011-05-12
Superb performer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I had hesitated in getting a switching power supply for a long time because of their reputation for generating hash. I decided, after reading reviews, to give this unit a try as I really needed a small sized power supply to bring with me on trips. I was amazed at this little unit. There is not a spec of any kind of hash generated anywhere on the bands and the supply performs very well. The output is well regulated with virtually no fluctuation under load and runs very cool.

Some posters have commented about the fan noise, and you can certainly hear the fan in an otherwise silent room, but I would not consider it overly loud or annoying -- to me it is quite acceptable, but it is noticeable.

I would certainly recommend this unit to anyone without hesitation.

73, Phil
NR0U Rating: 2010-12-23
Great PS... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Have been using this PS for about a month. Really like it. Quiet fan, stays cool. The only oddity I find is that the binding posts are on the front(which I knew when I bought it), which makes running the cables back behind everything a bit difficult. Another oddity, is the fuse box location is within maybe 8 inches of the cable ends, so you can't hide that box in the back of the unit since the posts are in the front. Otherwise really like it.