Manager

More Info: http://www.astroncorp.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0084.9
K8KAS Rating: 2014-07-12
Lab use for over 10 years Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Bought 10 of these for electronics lab use and caught hell from others in the lab for ther "Ham Junk" purchase, 10 years later not ONE of the AS70 ever failed, the other high current switchers in the Lab were failing all the time..The boys all told me what a good idea they the Astron's were and took all their words back... I have one at home and it powers the whole shack and has been on for 8 years...Denny K8KAS
DUTCHNAN Rating: 2014-07-11
Great piece of equipment Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Flip the switch and has run for days at a time without any problems. Will run everything in my shack. The best recommendation I can give is I will buy another one as a backup.
N0MNO Rating: 2013-06-16
BEST Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I use this with my Ameritron ALS-500m amplifier
and it works great ...no hum in this power supply
K0CWO Rating: 2013-01-23
Great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Excellent PS. Has been under the desk for 10 years. Sometimes forget it is there.
W7WIN Rating: 2009-06-22
Very best Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have used a lot on PS but this one stays.
70 amps runs all I have in the shack.
KC4CP Rating: 2006-07-30
The BIG BOY! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Now this thing is a "REAL" Power Supply! It will run everything in your shack ... and then some.

I have used my RS 70 to power my Ameritron ALS-500 amplifier. It works like a charm (it is important to use large guage wire & as short a run as possible). I know others who run the Ten Tec Hercules using this power supply.

It is big, it is heavy, it is powerful! I have owned two. After 10 years of service ... Zero problems to report! Enough said.
W5ZZQ Rating: 2005-08-08
Best made Time Owned: more than 12 months.
JUST THE BEST POWER SUPPLY OUT THERE. GREAT!
KA5ROW Rating: 2005-07-12
Good Heavy Duty Power Supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This is a good heavy duty power supply, but I am a little disappointed with its overrated specs.
And the Q/A department
I however, do not think its fair to rate this the RS-70 A or M as a 70 amp power supply. They should be rated as a 57 amp power supply. With intermittent 70 amp peaks. I don't know if you could use the P/S with a amplifier that pulled 60 or 65 amps on SSB peeks. I would think after a short time something would give out.
I use the P/S to power a TE-System 1452G 400 watt amplifier. On FM pulls about 52 amps. SSB Intermittent peeks to 52 amps. The P/S gets very hot, so hot you can not put your hand on the base of the P/S. The fan has kicked on only one time that I can remember. I sure the thermal control was not working. So I by passed it, now the fan runs all the time and the P/S is much cooler. All of my other P/S the fan runs all the time.
I called Astron got someone who could not speak English very well, and I could not get a clear answer as to why the cooling fan never ran. I don't think he really knew enough English to understand me and the point I tried to get across.
A 2nd issue was when I got the P/S one of the insulators between a regulator and heat sink was hanging by one end. It was an easy fix but a very obvious Q/A problem.