Manager

Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
G6TUH Rating: 2013-06-28
Palstar PS-50 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Owned for 5 years. Shortly after getting it I was operating on a special call - pile ups. The fan kicking in was a problem because it was loud. Easy fix, piggy backed a PC quiet fan onto the outlet and wired directly into the 13.8v output. When I switch the PSU on the PC fan runs all the time, no noise and the 'big' fan has only kicked in twice since the mod' Good chunky PSU. It would have been 5/5 if I did not have to do the modification.
G0UOO Rating: 2012-08-15
Not So Great Now! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After two years the unit has gone faulty. The output went to 20V, but the over-voltage protection failed to work.

So, that's two faults, and potentially (no pun intended!) very expensive had the rig's smoke come out.

I have yet to dig into what's gone pop, but will post my findings when have the answer.

----------------------
Earlier 3-star review posted by G0UOO on 2010-02-23

Nicely made and beefy PSU. However, that fan's too loud. Something I'll be looking at. If not for the fan noise this would be a five.
G0HWC Rating: 2009-04-17
loud !!! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I got mine some time back and has sat unused. Last week I made room for it and wow, it was silent and looks good too. It was on for about 20 mins when the fan kicked in, its far too loud !!!It is now sitting on the shack floor again unused until I can ether put it in the loft or sort the loud fan out. Anyone tried to slow the fan down ?

Paul G0HWC
G7VKX Rating: 2005-09-25
Big but unrefined Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had the Palstar PS50 for little over a year now and it's seen daily use up to 38 amps (continuous)without a grumble. It is quite a large unit (weight & dimensionally)although it can be rack-mounted which looks really neat & overall the unit is of good build quality. Adorning the front panel are a couple of analogue meters for voltage (non-variable) & amps, neither of which are illuminated. The output terminals are also located on the front and really could have been graced with at least one additional set of terminals given the abundence of space available (front or rear)During operation the Palstar is quiet, with no noticeable hum, however when the thermostatically controlled fan kicks in (which is a little sensitive I hasten to add!) the noise is excessive. I intend to modify mine with additional output terminals and an adjustable fan, had this already been provided by Palstar then I'd have rated the PS-50 with a 5.
G8LIK Rating: 2005-08-18
Big and beefy! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I only got this a few days ago so its first impressions, a really solid unit and I appreciate the metering of V and I.Weighs 19KG or so and not a flimsy cheapo PSU. It works great with the TS480HX which draws around 37A in practise. I would have given it a 5 but the large rear fan is a bit too loud and distracting when the thermostat cuts in. But in terms of value for money you can't go wrong. Also comes with brackets for 19 inch rack mount for those who desire it. Hope the long term reliability will be as good as its looks.