Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0063.7
ON5IR Rating: 2007-12-21
Practice & safe power supply ! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have the model SPS-9400 it's the same model of SPS-8400 but with digital meter for Current & Voltage.

It is a very useful & safe power supply
Not heavy and not cumbersome.
Contains many safety solutions: short cut, limited current, control output voltage & control of temperature !!!
I think it's very important for a power supply 100% safety for the load.

For exemple : I have a simple power supply Elix 13,8V -- 30/33A with a new transceiver ICOM IC 7000.
one day, i had a big problem with PS : the voltage output go to 22V !!!!! The PS not protected in output voltage and my TX/RX cashed 22V !!!! Happily no problem for my ICOM but very dangerous !!! (1600 $ for Transceiver & 100$ for power supply... NOW i say : GREAT TX/RX with GREAT POWER SUPPLY !!! ;-)))

Take care friend !

My note for tis PS : 5/5 !!!!
I recommend this.

73's 51

Kostas.
OLD_SP5EPD Rating: 2007-01-18
Worth bying Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Hi,

Well, I have read these strongly critising comments, and I can't agree. I have bought mine almost 4 years ago in Singapore. I have been using this PS with IC-746, IC-706MKIIG, IC-756PROII, FT-8900R, and haven't noticed anything wrong. There is no interferences on HF as well higher bands. The only what is making me nerves is pretty noisy fan when the load is present. However, the ICOM PS-125 is much more noisy. I've tried to use two 100W radios simultaneously and it really does a good job. I may only suspect that others had no luck with their SPS-8400.
M0EDY Rating: 2006-06-20
do not buy Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
a very bad power supplies lots of tvi /emc
caused interference with lcd tv and also with
scanner and the radio could not be use on topband
do not buy. returned after only one week thank god its gone
DL0USB Rating: 2006-01-09
Isolation missing Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own two SPS-9400 (= 8400 with digital meters) and a SPS-9600 (60 A). In principal they are quite good for their price. But ...

A) I had two failures on the main power switches!!!. It seems they cannot support inrush current or load. It's strongly recommended to replace them immediately!

B) An extremely large voltage spike results from abrupt load drop. It can be measured up to 1 Volt spike (e.g. 14.5 V instead of 13.5) when dropping 20 A to 0!!! Duration is fairly short (ms range) but anyhow.

C) Mains input power guard/earth is connected to secondary ground (earth = case = GND)!!!

C) generates severe problems when you use more than one power supply of this brand. It is also impossible to serialize them! I tried to disconnect secondary ground from case (leaving mains guard on case to fulfill safety specs.), but this is mechanically quite impossible. The only way is to remove the PCB (there is only one) completely from the box and put it into another one with isolated mounting studs.
VK3GV Rating: 2006-01-08
Owned for 2 years Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have used the SPS 8400 for several years now and I can't fault it. Does everything I ever wanted it is lightweight, easy to carry and has never failed. I use it on an IC910H and also have an IC7400. I am very happy with the switch mode powersupply.
Cheers from Australia...
OZ7FP Rating: 2005-08-18
Works really good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought the switch mode supply because of the cheaper price in comparison to a traditional power supply.And my wxperiences with it has just been great,have used it with my Icom 7400 and have never failed.No problems whatsoever.

So can only say go ahead and buy one. you can have a loom at these site http://www.funktechnik-grenz.de/start.html
73´s de