Manager

More Info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps14.shtml
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00183.8
AD5VM Rating: 2013-07-19
Not for HF. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just purchased new, fan does not turn unless you give it a push start with a toothpick. RFI hash is 7kHz wide, spaced out every 44 KHz and S9+10 at each peak. (using outdoor antenna).

I suppose the fan issue is an anomaly but you would think it would have been caught in QC. I suppose it would be okay for VHF/UHF but I would also think a company who makes radios could make a radio power supply that doesn't destroy the radio spectrum. I should have checked eham first...
W2ZOU Rating: 2012-06-03
Great to have around Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I do not use this for ham radio. This has gotten me out of too many jams where the cheapo wall worts have failed me. I simply cut the cable to the dead wall wort, trim the cable ends, attach to the Jetstream, check polarity--usually center positive, and adjust voltage to what you need. Back in business in minutes. Quality is good too! I have has this in a 100 degree apartment. The fan on the thing was running at max to keep it cool. Never failed me. I think I paid $30 new. Its a real keeper.
W5NET Rating: 2010-10-07
Jetstream JTPS14M Voltage Selection Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The Jetstream JTPS14 power supply contains a AC input voltage selection switch. However, another version of the same power supply, designated the Jetstream JTPS14M, is still being sold without that switch. The new owner must modify the internal wiring to select the appropriate voltage range (either 100-120v AC or 220-240v AC) before connecting the power supply to a wall outlet.

The JTPS14M is most often delivered preset for 120v operation within the USA, so the remainder of this message is mainly directed towards those of us living overseas.

1. To modify the voltage range of the JTPS14M (without external switch), remove the top cover (ten small screws). Note the quality components and solder connections inside - a surprisingly well-made device for the price. Also note the abundance of ferrite choke cores used to reduce HF noise.

2. Locate the on/off power switch on the rear of the PS and follow the two large red wires connected to that. Roughly midway on the right side of the main circuit board, one of those wires will be connected to a spade terminal labeled "Switch" on that circuit board.

3. Near the spade terminal labeled "Switch," you'll find a second large red wire with one end connected to a spade terminal labeled "110" on the circuit board. This short wire, with two rubber-coated spade connectors, is the jumper used to select the voltage range.

4. To select the 100-120v AC voltage range, leave this jumper wire connected and make sure the proper fuse is inserted. A 4-6 amp fuse is recommended for 115v operation.

5, To select the 220-240v AC voltage range, remove this jumper wire and insert the proper fuse. You may either remove the jumper wire entirely or simply disconnect one end (secured to prevent potential shorts) to easier facilitate future voltage selections. A 3-5 amp fuse is recommended for 230v operation.

6. The power supply is ready for use once the top cover is reinstalled.

One could easily modify the JTPS14M to have a voltage selection switch on the rear of the housing just like the JTPS14. A simple on/off switch is used, with the leads of that switch connected with spade connectors to the two terminals on the circuit board currently occupied by the jumper wire. The switch would be set to "on" for 100-120v operation and "off" for 220-240v operation. Make sure the switch cannot be easily jostled or bumped into the wrong position. A recessed switch is ideal for this purpose.

NOTE: If your particular power supply varies from the description in the steps above, do not proceed with the instructions provided. Seek assistance elsewhere.
NT9M Rating: 2010-07-04
OK for VHF-UHF shack Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I needed something to use while acquiring parts to repair an Astron SL-11A and this little supply was so inexpensive that I bought it with the idea of keeping it as a spare once the Astron was repaired. On it's own, the supply works fine. Fan is not too noisy. However it does generate hash on HF. So it's been banned from the hamshack now that the Astron is repaired. I'm using it at my office to power a VHF-UHF transceiver, which it does FB. Cannot recommend for an HF shack.
WA7RED Rating: 2010-07-03
Lousy supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
First off, this supply is absolutely terrible for RF Hash. I find it to be EXTREMELY noisy on HF. I can't use it with my Yaesu FT-897. The '897 has fairly high power-on starting current. When I try to use it with the '897, the Jetstream supply thinks the '897 is a short, so it goes into protection mode and shuts down. IF there is an adjustment for this protection mode, Jetstream hasn't documented it well. Documentation with this supply stinks! I would not recommend this supply to anyone.
KB8ASO Rating: 2010-03-03
Working for last 2+ years 24/7 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have one that I use @ work for a 2 meter rig that I use to monitor the weather net. Only issue has been one of the lamps for the meter has burned out. I will replace with two white LED's some time. I have never tried it with an HF radio, but for VHF and UHF it is a good value for the $$. It also comes wth a mounting bracket to mount your radio to the power supply. I would buy another one.
KQ4KK Rating: 2010-03-03
They work Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought one with meters, and one without. Have them driving FT-1500's and TNCs for APRS digi's. They seem to work ok, no RF on 144.39mhz. We will see long term.
KD6ITD Rating: 2009-07-23
Great produce Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I just bought the JTPS14 to use with my HT at home. Works great, no hash or noise on my HT. The fan is whisper quite . I Bought mine from www.cheapham.com in N.J. > fast shipping, got it in california in 3 days . I spent $69.95 with shipping included. I did some research and found this to be a good product.
AC5DF Rating: 2009-01-18
RF City Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This thing is not usable with HF equipment. Creates interferance throughout the HF spectrum. Buy you one and you will see. Just remember I told ya so. DE AC5DF.
KD5TVF Rating: 2008-09-27
Succeeds where Astron fails! Time Owned: N.A.
I bought my JTPS14 back in June when I got back into HF with a used Kenwood TS-50s. I knew I couldn't run full power (100w) but that's cool. I'm limited to an indoor antenna (di-pole).

Well, I went and bought a Yaesu FT-857 and figured I needed a decent power supply to go with the new rig and bought an Astron SS-25.

Geez, I've had non-stop problems with that power supply, due to RFI.

No matter how I position the supply relative to the radio.

Problem started out on 20m (ANY power level) and now has migrated to 2m after rearranging my cables.

The Jetstream performs FLAWLESSLY, regardless of it's placement around the radio or arrangement of the cables.

This power supply is a winner!

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KD5TVF on 2008-05-16

I picked one up yesterday at Texas Towers to power my old Icom 2100 inside the house, as I picked up a new mobile for the car.

It's compact, good front panel.

I think it's a winner for a small home station.