Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Hakko FX-901
Reviews: 1MSRP: 32.00
Description:
Cordless, battery-operated soldering iron.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx901.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
N6UOK Rating: 2006-03-30
Lightweight, hot, easy to solder. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
There are several excellent reviews on this product on the net (for example, http://www.applefritter.com/node/10572). I hope people who read my review read such other reviews, because they explain in detail how the device is to be used.

For many years, I have owned a Portasol gas-operated soldering iron. It solders nicely, and its hot-blow tip is great for heat-shrink tubing. I also own a rechargeable soldering iron that uses a heavy, permanently-installed NiCd battery.

The Hakko FX-901 has an easier-to-work-with tip, and it uses four AA batteries. It doesn't allow to treat heat-shrink tubing, but soldering small parts is much easier than the Portasol, because the FX-901 is lightweight, and its tip is longer and pointier than the Portasol.

Incidentally, I strive to standardize my electronics with AA batteries because NiMH rechargeables and their chargers are economical (I hate proprietary rechargeables), plus, lithium batteries are an option if I need extra power. The FX-901 is a nice addition to my toolkit.