Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: Radio Shack 3A Switching Power Supply (Cat. #22-507)

Category: Power Supplies

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Radio Shack 3A Switching Power Supply (Cat. #22-507)
Reviews: 6MSRP: 42.99 as of 11/2006
Description:
13.8VDC 3A Switching Power Supply. Cigarette lighter jack and binding jack on front of panel (no connections on rear). Illuminated power switch. Six foot 3-prong AC cord.

NOTE: Some units of this p.s. have been recalled for safety reasons. See: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08319.html

Product is in production
More Info: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103959
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0063.8
KX7P Rating: 2010-12-03
GOOD, NOT GREAT Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Works pretty good, but some hash on and near 40 meters. The price is a little high, but if you can catch it on sale it might be a good deal. Not bad looking. Good quality, but not great and not heavy duty.
KV4AN Rating: 2009-07-22
SMALL AND LIGHT FOR FT-817 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
XYL got it for my Yaesu FT-817. It is a very small and lightweight, although expensive, switching supply. There is some hash from it. It is worst on 40 meters. The FT-817 noise blanker is somewhat effective against it. The other bands are much better. The compromise is small and light versus some RF noise. I decided that I could live with the hash for the portability.

By the way, this is the same as the Pyramid PSV40, which is $10-$15 cheaper elsewhere on the Internet. I bought the RS model because I could take it back if the hash turned out to be too bad.
KC9BWP Rating: 2008-08-07
I like it! RECALL FIX Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I works good, its switching too, though pricey for 3A.
I know about the recall, too! I opened mine and all that is wrong is the Line and Neutral wires are reversed essentially making the tiny fuse on the PCB useless. The connections for the input on mine were .25" QCs so it is easy to fix!
Here is a picture inside of mine: http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee334/grrxyn/22-507.jpg
AB7DP Rating: 2008-07-18
Recalled - Fire Hazard! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I thought the power supply was fine, until I received a recall notice from Radio Shack that stated 160,000 total units were a potential electrocution and fire hazard due to incorrect wiring internally. Too bad, makes me reconsider buying Radio Shack equipment. Radio Shack did fix and send back the supply in about 10 days, and that went very smoothly.
KB5DRJ Rating: 2007-12-17
Works good - looks nice. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This was an impulse buy while browsing around in RadioShack the other day.

The black metal case looks really nice with its spackled? black matt paint. The unit is very light weight.

I found that the binding nuts will remove if you keep turning them when they get tight. They'll come off and with out any damage I could see. The next removal is easier and so on. I prefer to use solder lugs and they work fine.

The unit powers my FT-817 just fine and I did not detect any noise. The power output is a bit higher than 13.8 on mine - 14.1 V on my DMM and FT-817 display but that is fine. Output seems to be steady.

Plan to use it while on trips and will make a nice addition to my FT-817 bag.
AB0RE Rating: 2006-11-05
Amazing quality - Typical Radio Shack pricing... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I picked up this supply to run some of my amateur radio accessories and my PRO-96 scanner. Voltage is right around 13.8VDC. I have not tested the amperage output but I have no reason to believe it would not supply an honest 3A.

Drawbacks?
1) When I received this power supply I had to move the adhesive-backed rubber feet to the outer edges of the unit. They were initially too far inwards and plugging my cellphone charger in the socket would cause the unit to tip forward. 2) Steep price tag for a 3A supply. There's just something wrong paying $43 for 3A - that's nearly $15/amp. (The trusty Astron RS-20A is a mere $5/amp :-)
3) It'd also be nice to have a removable power cord, but I doubt Radio Shack would be able to get the removable power cord socket to fit well in the compact enclosure.
4) I'd also like to see removable nuts on the binding posts. This would allow the placement of ring terminals on the binding posts.

Features/Benefits?
1) Very high quality unit... much better than the 3A Samlex switching power supply I used to have. The case looks sharp! (On my Samlex the cigarette plugs would constantly fall out - it appears Radio Shack made the jack the right size.)
2) Lightweight and very practical, having binding posts and the lighter socket on the front.
3) Inside there is a bit of extra space in the rear corner opposite the power cord. I plan to add a couple pairs of PowerPole outputs here with PowerPole clamps available from Powerwerx.com or possibly a potentiometer and adjustable voltage regulator to make the voltage of the binding plugs adjustable 1.5 - 12VDC.

Overall, if you can get over the price this is the perfect small power supply. Look no further for something better as the quality of this unit is astounding.

Dan / ab0re