Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : IOTA DLS-55 55 amp continios Duty Switchmode Power Supply
Reviews: 17MSRP: $219.95
Description:
Using state-of-the-art, switch-mode technology, IOTA Power Converter/Battery Chargers are engineered with the user and variable environmental conditions in mind. Extra care has been given to insure many years of service-free operation, even when subjected to extremely harsh conditions. Batteries are charged quickly and efficiently without over-charging and pumps, motors, and fans operate perfectly for prolonged life.

Exceptionally clean DC output insures pumps, motors, fans, and lights work perfectly. This means longer life for any connected load; virtually no AC ripple to cause static or premature failure of radio or television equipment.

Quickly and efficiently charges batteries
from the full rated output of the IOTA battery charger. The battery charger then maintains the batteries, only putting into the battery what is required by load or self-discharge, cutting back to milliamps as the battery requires.

Protection against low and transient AC line voltage
as well as spikes coming from the AC power source or from improperly adjusted generators, a major cause of converter/power supply failure
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.iotaengineering.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00174.8
N2AYM Rating: 2018-07-29
Rock Solid Supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had this supply running a repeater for about 10 years with never a problem of any kind. I also have another repeater powered with the DLS-75 and at that site there are many power hits very often. Never a problem with that one either. These are industrial/commercial quality bullit proof supplies and are robustly and well designed supplies.
N4DCD Rating: 2018-01-19
Noisy Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I just setup my Iota DLS-55 and on 80m at about 3.807 there is noise being generated. About S7 so, back it goes.
K6NBP Rating: 2017-07-04
High idle power, potential coil whine, but great performance Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I got one of these units from solar-electric.com a couple months ago. They often have 10-20% coupon codes so just wait for one of those. The first unit had a nasty high-pitched coil whine when provided with a low, non-zero load, such as a transceiver in RX mode. I did some testing with an ammeter and found that the whine was at its worst around 20W. The whine seemed to gradually go away over several minutes as the load was applied but the sound is so unpleasant that I still wanted to return the unit. For reference I'm in my early 30s and so is my husband, but I was the only one who could hear anything. It was actually kind of funny that this was driving me crazy but he couldn't hear a thing while in the same room as me.

I ended up requesting an RMA with Iota, and I was able to exchange it for a tested refurb unit. The unit that Iota sent didn't replicate the coil whine of the original so I'm a happy camper now. Overall, even with dealing with the RMA (including paying to ship it to Arizona), I'm still happy with the unit as it's still a great performer. I'm not noticing any line noise on transceivers that are connected to the unit, but I also lack a scope to get an objective measure of any line noise. Speaking of noise, now that the coil whine has been fixed it's extremely quiet and the fan rarely turns on at all, even when I'm broadcasting. The unit is so overspecced for what I'm usually doing that it shrugs off the typical load I throw at it. I may later repurpose it as a battery charger as that's what it's mainly marketed as, and then get a powerwerx 30A PSU instead, as it's indeed a bit overkill for what I typically use it for. It's also worth noting that the powerwerx can be switched between 120V and 220V whereas the DLS-55 is only 120V.

The only feature I think is missing is a power switch as I don't like leaving things on all the time. I used a Kill-A-Watt to measure the unit's consumption at the wall with no load, and it's using about 12W with nothing connected to it, which is enough to power a typical CFL light bulb. I've solved the lack of power switch by adding a Belkin in-line switch (model F7C016Q, $20/3pk). The unit is currently sitting on the floor but I intend to attach it to the underside of my desk using the (pictured) flaps/notches for screws on the body.

Overall I'd recommend this unit if you think you'd want a reliable, low-noise 55A PSU, at a reasonable price. It does have some trade-offs, namely the high idle load, the lack of power switch, and the apparent potential for a unit with catastrophic coil whine (if your ears can still hear that), but for the purpose of providing lots of clean power it's a great unit.
W9MCM Rating: 2016-09-14
Excellent build quality. Rock solid stability Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
As I'm moving forward building my ham shack, I was in need if a suitable power supply. Having been an audio hobbyist for nearly 50 years, I'm aware of the importance of stable, clean power to optimize component function.

Iota puts their money into component quality rather than cosmetics that don't do anything for performance. So far, the output has stable with zero voltage ripple.

If cosmetics are of no importance, then take a look at the IOTA.
WL7CLA Rating: 2016-08-03
Solid low noise supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had a pair of DLS-55/IQ4 running in parallel 24/7 since 2009 maintaining the battery bank that runs my DC powered (including 500watt amp) shack. Because my main HF antenna is 30ft from my second story shack and the AC wiring in the shack closely couples with antenna I do have filtering on the AC input of the chargers to make them totally undetectable on my main antenna (even running at full output) but even without filtering they were barely detectable and below average atmospheric noise levels. For comparison multiple HAM marketed switchers connected to the same outlet in shack were > 10db noisier when idling.

No switcher is perfectly silent, but these are solid units and quieter than anything else I have seen.
K5AF Rating: 2015-02-23
Great, as expected! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
The reviews are right on! This is a powerful and quiet supply, and takes up about 1/5th of the space of the supply it replaced.

The only issue is that I have it on a low shelf and am concerned that the venting slots could possibly be susceptable to injesting dirt and a wanton nut or bolt that might fall off the table top.

My plan is to see how much of an issue heat is when it is mounted upside down, and if heat is not an issue, I'll permanently mount it on the underside of the tabletop. In this configuration, it would be almost impossible for any foreign objects to get inside the case. Otherwise, I may have to fabricate a screen cage for it.
AF5QR Rating: 2015-02-01
Bulletproof and wonderful Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
After flailing around with several MFJs and a SAMLEX unit (all of which failed in fairly short order under hard use), I decided it was time to get serious about power supplies. The DLS-55 fit the bill and was cost competitive.

IOTA engineering is legendary in the solar industry and folks who are off-the-grid swear by these units, and for good reason, too. They just work. Period. All day, every day. They can charge your batteries (just add the IQ4 option) or can work as a stiff, quiet power supply.

The output is quite clean DC, but I decided to add a 5 farad stiffening capacitor anyway as an experiment to see what would happen to my audio on SSB and AM. If you are running high power rigs, I found this to be a worthwhile mod. Nothing gets through but pure, flat, stiff DC. Gone are any hints of distortion or not having enough juice to make clean peaks in the envelope.

My only possible complaint, such that it is, is this creature is just plain butt-ugly. If that bothers you, hide it under your desk and remind yourself to dust it once a year. (Yeah, you'll forget about it. It's quiet and utterly without drama, so you'll forget its there).

A final point of interest: this power supply has no problem being fed by a Honda EU2000i. Field day is notorious for discovering gotchas in equipment, but the DLS-55 shrugged-off everything we threw at it, including a well-meaning helper plugging a coffee pot into the EU2000 while transmitting. The power supply never missed a beat, even though it was operating near full load under brown-out conditions.

All in all, a very nice unit that gets a hearty 5/5 and two big thumbs-up!
AB7DP Rating: 2013-11-08
Have Two! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
These work great, I originally bought one for a Kenwood TS-480HX (200 Watt output) the power supply is quiet.

It was so reliable, that I bought another for my RV when I needed to replace my 120 to 12 volt converter when it went bad. It runs 24/7 without any issues.

It seems not to have any "birdies" or noise when I use it with my radios.
W4DRH Rating: 2013-11-07
Buy it Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Great product... get it with IQ charger.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by W4DRH on 2012-06-16

Bought this after talking with an old crusty ham from Maine that recommended the IOTA 55. I currently have 2 Alinco DM-330MVT power supplies but like the smart charge and power of the IOTA 55. Great kept secret.

Negatives - not very pretty but all stainless case.
K7JEM Rating: 2013-03-22
Can't beat it Time Owned: more than 12 months.
These are great supplies, we have been using them on repeater sites for almost 10 years to run lots of equipment, and charge very large battery banks (over 1200AH). Not fancy, no bells, whistles or meters, but they work, and do not get hot.