Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
Reviews: 159MSRP: 39.50
Description:
Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.7000mic.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
K6JPA Rating: 2009-01-06
Excellent Experience Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Wonderful upgrade. Well worth the cost in performance, in my opinion, and Bob's turn-around time and communications throughout the process were first-class. The optional added weight makes the mic. feel much more comfortable for my liking. Made a world of difference over stock!
K2ID Rating: 2008-11-29
Third one Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Just bought my 3rd IC-7000 and the mic is being shipped off to Bob before I even use the rig. Bob has modified two microphones already but that was after taking abuse from local hams about how I could spend so much money for a rig that had such low and poor sound.

Now I am wiser. I will get the Mic modified first and then no one will know I have a new 7000 rig.

Bob is truly a wonderful guy to deal with. Everything he says on his web site is true and you cannot beat the price.
GM0OTS Rating: 2008-10-02
SUPER MOD Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
WHEN I GOT DELIVERY OF IC7000 I SENT THE MIC WITHOUT DELAY TO BOB,THIS MOD IS A MUST FOR THIS RADIO, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,BOB.
KC9HEK Rating: 2008-09-30
Excellent Service and Performance Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I purchased my IC-7000 at Dayton this past May and had been very disapointed with the unit. After some research I began reading about the low output from HM-151 Mic on this website.

On a Thursday, I sent my microphone to AB5N and within a day had an acknowledgement that he had received. Later that day, I received another email that he was on his way to the post office with it and I received the mic back in Milwaukee the following Tuesday; total elapsed time was only five days!!

Due to travel I did not have a chance to use the unit until this past weekend. Within a matter of a few minutes I logged three European DX contacts with 59 reports. The real test was chatting with WB2LYL who I have known for almost 40 years. He indicated my audio sounded just like I was right next to him and it was very naturally sounding.

I could not be more pleased with both the level of service and the quality of the modification.

Thank you again.
VK2FRO Rating: 2008-09-26
Excellent Mod Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I got my icom 7000 about 3 months ago. Its a great radio, but I kept getting reports on the repeaters of low audio, or "have you got the radio set to narrow modulation" or similar. In otherwords, I kept getting told to turn my mic gain up.

I ordered the ab5n kit well before the radio arrived. I performed the mod, in front of the computer with the video instructions playing.

The results were immediate. Fellow operators on the local repeater told me my audio had improved. I was chatting to a friend on 29.600 fm and he said the audio from that 7000 sounds great. We went down to 20m 14.200 and had a yak on SSB. He was even more impressed, saying "wow that audio is beautiful, sounds like your right beside me playing on the 735, while I'm operating the 897" (which is sometimes what we do when I go visit, I play 80 or 40 while hes operating 10, 20 or 15. Cant say I can argue with his report, hes a good friend of mine, and the one that convinced me to get into amateur radio.

The mod is very easy to do, and the only tools you really need is a razor blade, a solder gun, solder wick and a pair of needle nose pliers. A glue gun helps.

Price wise, for the improvement in audio, its a good purchase. I highly recommend.
N4UED Rating: 2008-09-16
AS GOOD AS ANY HEIL ELEMENT Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
WHEN I GOT MY ICOM IC-7000, THE FIRST THING I DID WAS OPEN IT AND REMOVE THE MICROPHONE.
I BOXED THE MICROPHONE UP ALONG WITH A CHECK AND SENT IT TO AB5N. IN A WEEK IT WAS BACK AND I TRYED IT ON SEVERAL HAMS THAT KNOW MY VOICE.
THEY SAID THAT IS SOUNDED AS GOOD AS MY OTHER RIG CONNECTED TO A EQIULIZER/MIXER.
IT DRIVES MY 7000 TO THE FULL OUTPUT.
I CAN WORK PEOPLE WITHOUT THE AMP.
THEY TELL ME THAT THE AUDIO IS PUNCHING THROUGH THE NOISE.
IF YOU OWN A 7000 AND YOU HAVE NOT SENT YOUR MICROPHONE TO AB5N YOU ARE MISSING ALOT OF CONTACTS.
HE COMMUNICATES FAST AS SOON AS HE RECEIVES IT,
THEN LETS YOU KNOW WHEN ITS OWN THE WAY BACK.
WITH HIS MICROPHONE FIX YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO BUY ANOTHER MICROPHONE FOR YOUR 7000.
THANKS FOR A JOB DONE QUICKLY, AND WELL DONE.
CHUCK N4UED
KE5QZR Rating: 2008-09-09
Another happy convert Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Got the first one done shortly after purchasing my IC-7000. Sending him another! No reason to keep a HM-151 stock when this upgrade is available!
K8GMG Rating: 2008-07-12
Clean, clear audio Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Well, as others have stated this is a must have mod for this radio. Bob has taken the time, effort and energy to to perfect a modification to bring the transmitted audio for the IC-7000 to a premier level. The only way I can explain it is that the radio now produces a clean, clear, accurate, reproduction of you vocal characteristics, with greatly improved mic gain or response. The audio is not too heavy on the low end frequencies or to shrap on the high end frequencies. Just a rich full audio reproduction.

Thanks Bob for the great work and the extremely fast service.

George K8GMG
K8CHD Rating: 2008-07-02
Gotta Say it..... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought a new IC 7000 and love it. First thing was to send the microphone to Robert, AB5N. The ICOM owner's manual should be ammended so that step #1 is "Send microphone to AB5N." Reports are great and the feel with the added weight is too. If you haven't...don't wait to enjoy.
KQ4MK Rating: 2008-06-29
Fantastic Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have commented about the quick turn around, and prompt replies by Robert on other sites, but now that I have been using the modified mic on HF, and VHF for a few weeks, I thought it was time to post a review here.

As I explained to AB5N, I have owned many mics, and many rigs over the past 20 years or so. I enjoy ragchewing on 75, VHF, and UHF, as well as working DX when the time is right.

I bought the 7k because it seemed speced to do most everything I want a rig to do very well, covers all bands of interest, all modes, and is really portable. My only concern was the audio quality (I have heard other 7k radios on the air with stock mics, and was not pleased), and how to correct it without losing the control functionality loaded into the stock mic.

That's where AB5N came in. Based on other reviews, I sent Robert the mic before I put power to the new 7k. I sent it from NJ late on a Saturday via Priority mail, and he sent me an email on Monday or Tuesday stating that it arrived that day, was already modified, and on it's way back to me. It was in my hands on Wednesday afternoon!

After reading all the glowing reports about turn around time, I was thrilled to see it in real life with my mic. If I buy a second 7k for a permanent mobile station, AB5N will modify that mic too.

After the modified mic arrived, the first thing I noticed was that it 'felt right' with the extra weight installed. I'm sure that the stock weight was designed for safety in a mobile situation (less mass flailing around the cabin in a wreck), but the stock mic just felt like a toy. Now, it feels just right. As for audio quality, on both HF, and VHF, people who have talked to me for years in the past, and those who know me in person all rave about the fine tone, and good 'punch' of the 7k with the AB5N modified mic.

ICOM has it's reasons for neglecting the 7k mic, but they do not matter, as AB5N has provided a cheap solution that transforms the 7k into the powerhouse performer that it's specifications suggest in the first place.

This is one of the best deals in radio, and I hope that ICOM builds many thousands of 7k units for Robert to modify, or just hires him to get it right in the design stage...

73, and enjoy your 7k at it's full potential.
Jim-KQ4MK