Manager

More Info: http://www.rfparts.com/gzv4000.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
15444.3
5B4AJG Rating: 2019-10-17
Now it's quieter than a mouse! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
After my last review I just couldn't be bothered stripping the case lid off to change the fan yet again BUT time passes and the noise became too much of an issue and so I did some more research and bought the Noctua NF-A8 FLX Premium Fan............
Oh boy, with all windows and doors closed and all other equipment turned off the iPhoneX dBFS meter cannot detect when the fan is on due to the ambiant room noise, now that is quiet!!!
My grateful thanks to Andy Ford at Quiet PC Ltd for his advice and suggestion.

----------------------
Earlier 3-star review posted by 5B4AJG on 2019-04-17

As a PSU it's fine apart from the previously reported fan noise. I measured mine from a 8" distance and recorded a -42 dBFS noise level. I replaced the original SUNON KD1208PTS-6 fan with the Papst 8412/N2GLE fan, unbelievably the noise level INCREASED to -30 dBFS at the same 8"distance. When and if I can now be bothered to again remove the 14 small bolts and try yet another(different)fan or re-fit the original I can't decide, so for now, this will be ok for /p use while using the petrol generator.....
N1JAO Rating: 2018-05-27
20 Years Of Power Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought this 20 years ago and it has been perfect. Longevity really is the best measurement.

Robert
N1JAO

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by N1JAO on 2001-12-27

I have three hf rigs hooked up to this gem. I do not hear the fan, and all the extra hookups are a real plus. It will handle 40 amps continuous, and produces no rf hash. Great job Diamond!
K1WJ Rating: 2016-02-20
Birdies & Hash Anyone !? Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
After finding out all the Yaesu 1030 power supply at phoenix hro fans whine upon shutting down, Tried the GVZ4000 - It has some birdies and hash on 160/80/40m and less on other bands. Disconnected GVZ4000 - hooked up Astron liner birdies/hash GONE. Power adjust botton on right not lined up with hole, not centered. Will mainly use on 17m where I have found no hash yet. Not really happy, I will work around it. Would not buy knowing what I know now. Watch your switching supplies closely, operators have hash and do not test to find it is the GVZ4000!
N7IGW Rating: 2016-01-10
VERY QUIET Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had my GVZ4000 for quite some time and has been flawless in operation. It has powered several HF rigs and a HF rig and a dual band mobile at the same time no problem and no noise fan or otherwise

Ed n7igw
KF5TOT Rating: 2015-10-07
Quiet Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just picked this up today and am sure glad I did. They must have improved the fans in it because this one sure is quiet. At 179 bucks there sure is alot of bang for the buck.
KB2M Rating: 2014-08-08
lot's of birdies, noisy fan Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought this power supply as I needed a single supply that outputted 40 amps. I also needed front and back outputs as the operating position at my winter home is a little tight. I soon found out that the Diamond has a very noisy fan, and also some very big birdies, mostly on the 75m band around 3788 ,or right where I do most of my operating on 75m. band. Today I swapped it out for a Samlex 1235M. I still notice a few birdies on 75, but at a much much lower intensity. I think I will leave the Samlex in for the time being, and try to resolve the birdie and fan noise issue. I see that people are swapping out the fan to resolve the noise issue, but don't see a real fix for the birdies posted anywhere.
I did notice that if you adjust the power supply's output voltage you can move the birdies around,and also lower their intensity. This little trick makes them ALMOST go away but not completely. I'm surprised that no one posted that on here.
N8YQX Rating: 2014-07-25
Inexpensive, noisy power supply Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Inexpensive power supply that should be able to handle multiple rigs running simultaneously. As others have stated, the fan is quite noisy and whiny.

Pro:
-Inexpensive
-Light weight
-Plenty of current for a 100W rig, or a small amplifier

Con:
-Noisy fan (loud and annoying whine)
-Nut on power terminal doesn't come off (can't use ring terminal)
-Voltage knob wobbles

Mod:
-Replaced with a Silenx fan. Now the noise level is significantly better, although I can still hear it.
EI9KC Rating: 2014-01-25
noise elimination Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Purchased 2`nd hand Diamond GVZ4000 from ML&S. Yes it is very noisy FAN. Decided to replace original fan. Took idea and suggestion from PE1NNQ review here. Changed fan for Papst 8412/N2GLE - purchased in computer shop in Germany. This is computer fan. Very very quiet. Job done in few minutes. Easy to replace. Noise is gone now ....
G4LNA Rating: 2013-10-20
In use for nearly a year Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
No problems at all, I was a bit worried about possible noise from it, but that seems unfounded and the PSU works fine. The fan noise is very low.
WS5J Rating: 2013-08-03
Failed after 2 weeks use Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Used this power supply to supply power to a new Yaesu FT-950. After two weeks of light use it would no longer power the radio. A quick check showed that there is continuity between the positive and negative poles when off and when switched on there is only 4.3 volts output. Shorted diode? Anyway, my experience so far has been disappointing.