Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0034.7
K9MAP Rating: 2016-07-18
Simple and works great! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased mine used and immediately put on a Powerwerx lead with ATC fuses and powerpole connectors. I use this little brick to power my Yaesu FT-817ND QRP rig when I'm at home or at a location with access to a power outlet. I have not had any trouble with it, other than the transformer making a little noise (hence once star knocked off). Since the bracket that holds the transformer is riveted to the case, there was nothing to tighten down. I just created some shims and slid them under the transformer to tighten it up. No more transformer buzz/hum!
Absolutely NO RF noise anywhere on the HF bands, and I run my 817 sitting right on top of the power supply. For field day, we used this supply to power another 817 that was running JT-65 digital mode. It handled it with no issue and barely got warm. I was hesitant about buying a new one, but now after owning one there's no question that I made the right choice (especially for the price I paid for a mint condition unit).
NO4L Rating: 2008-09-06
So Far, So Good! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Bought a used RS-4A for twenty-bucks. Does all I need it to for a little 2-meter HT, and programming my car scanner. Doesn't take up much desk real estate either. Mine is the older gray industrial looking one, sort of ugly, but it works. This is my second Astron supply, first was a RS20A, never had a problem with either. Haven't had it long, but so far, so good!
KC8ZEV Rating: 2007-07-24
You won't get a Hernia moving it around!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Had an old (30+years) Rat Shack Tandy supply that went south and needed a small amperage unit to replace it with. Being not that fond of switching power supplies(guess I am old school), I checked out the linear RS-4A. Nice and compact, it is very well made. No buzz, hum or any such noise during operation. Does not get hot or warm for that matter. Comes with a readable schematic and a complete parts list, not that I plan on using that anytime soon. I run a RS-35A for the power hungry equipment, but to run a HT or a 5-10 watt 6 meter rig, the RS-4A is perfect. Doesn't take up much room and you won't get a hernia moving it around. You get what you pay for, Astron quality cannot be beat.