Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : ALINCO DM-330MW
Reviews: 12MSRP: between £77 to £99
Description:
30A switch mode psu. pre-set 13.8V or adjustable voltage to 15V. Front panel display switchable to show V or I. Controls for voltage adjust and noise shift. Terminal posts on rear panel, 2 sets of ush connectors and a single auto lighter socket on the front. Fitted with a fan.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00124.3
G0UOO Rating: 2017-10-26
Good PSU Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Well made, and compact. No RF noise at all. Very good voltage regulation. Never seems to get hot, just warm - in spite of the warning label on the heat-sink!
VE2YMV Rating: 2016-01-21
Great value for its price... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought it to power my FT-897d when I'm using it as base station. Looks nice and stays quiet, although I could hear a high pitch noise coming out of it when it's very quiet in the shack. Works smoothly on VHF/UHF, where I got excellent audio reports from other stations. On HF band, I got noise masking off weak signals (less than S1) and tracked it to the power supply. Using a shorter, twisted pair of wires and inserting ferrite beads on it near the radio tamed the noise and let me work the weak signals. Very happy with it.
W8NWN Rating: 2013-12-08
not a peep Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had 2 of these for a few years and to date I have not heard a "peep" out of either one of them............No fan noise,,,no birdies,,,,,,etc. Just perfect operation.
MM0OVV Rating: 2013-11-04
Great Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I thought long and hard before purchasing a switch mode power supply due to them getting a bad rep. from the ham community.

My original power supply was a Watson 25 amp supply.

Unbeknown to myself until a long over one night the fan never worked on it.

My radio died on the long over and a few days later when testing the supply with my dummy load realised that the fan was dead or rather the temp. circuit wouldn't switch the fan on.

Anyways I bypassed the temp. circuit and put the fan on full time.

The fan got very noisy so decided to get a new power supply.

I took the plunge with an Alinco DM 330 MW switch mode power supply.

It quietened my shack down generally with no mechanical fan noise, i'v yet to hear the fan come on.

And more importantly NO RFI noise at all.

I have looked extensively on 80 but for the life of me I can't find any birdies anywhere.

I have a very good RF earth at my station which might make the difference to one getting RFI from the supply.

Small foot print, no noise, terminals at the rear as well as the front.

Like this supply a lot.
EI3GRB Rating: 2012-04-28
sorry I didn't buy 1 sooner Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
have used this psu as my main dc source for last few months

driving an ft950 and some accessories the dm-330mw has never batted an eye lid, even through 4 or 5 hours continuous rtty contests

very silent, and if the fan comes on it isn't noticeable

no noise issues or birdies on any freq.
W9CW Rating: 2011-10-27
Excellent Power Supply Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This is a review of an Alinco DM-330MV switching power supply. I bought this supply specifically for use with my VHF/UHF rigs. It works perfectly, and the cooling fan only comes every couple of minutes. Huge heat sink, in fact the enclosure is one large heat sink. Some excellent, and well thought out, features, and build quality is excellent as well. Built in Japan. Although I use linear supplies for my HF gear, I checked for birdies on HF, and found none. Overall, I am very impressed with this supply.
OZ1ESC Rating: 2011-03-13
Wors perfectly Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had one of these for a couple of years now.
They do have some birdies when listening over the bands, but two 100nF over the output terminals takes care of that. I haven't heard a sound from it since. Doesn't get too hot either after tapping 20-22 Amps for a while. The ventilator is reasonable quiet.
With the pricetag in mind, it deserves a FIVE.
Vy 73 de OZ1ESC
AL7HG Rating: 2010-04-22
New service Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I talked to Alinco's Service Center in California today about this power supply. They said they took over as the main Alinco warranty and repair headquarters about a month ago.

They said that in the future, if I need this power supply repaired I should send it directly to them.

I have two of these, like them a lot--but a few days ago my house was hit by lightning, knocking out my backup unit. I sent it to Mississippi for repair.
KK8ZZ Rating: 2009-01-03
No problems - Set and Forget Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Bought 2 of these little beasties at Dayton 2008 and both are giving great service - no noise at all.
KC2OYZ Rating: 2008-06-22
Hash Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have owned two of these - small, nice looking, well designed PS - built rugged, great meter and nicely laid out - particularly I liked the pre-set voltage feature.

But, in spite of Alinco's claims, this power supply can nail you with some really nasty RFI, and the noise offset circuit just moves the hash around, doesn't eliminate it.

The severity of the problem depends on your rig and your operating frequencies: I do some MW-BCB DX'ing etc with my rigs as well, and all of them (718,746Pro, 840 and 900) were severely affected by hash on BCB.

With the 718, 746 and the 840, even on 20m there was background hash, although I was able to eliminate most of it through the noise offset circuit. The 900 seemed to be immune on HF, but on BCB there was terrible hash on 900khz that was impossible to get rid off - although I didn't detect any on the 900khz harmonics.

So, if you know what you're getting into with this PS and are ready to deal with it, go for it. Otherwise keep away. I myself am allergic to RFI - I have enough RFI at my QHT that I can't control - I certainly don't want to introduce more voluntarily - back to linears I go.