Manager

Review Summary For : Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Reviews: 159MSRP: 669
Description:
A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with
performance on par with a
two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully
tuned and ready to go. This is a
plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an
evening with no measurements or
tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax
feeds all bands. Available for
Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel
components are stainless and non
metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast
or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft
aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds
of users. A “no questions
asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.k4kio.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
351594.9
WW5TT Rating: 2016-02-28
Exceeded My Expectations Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I wasn't real sure about spending this kind of money on a 2 element "wire" beam and I only bought 2 bands (20M and 15M) to keep the cost low in case the antenna did not perform well. Arrived in two days from day of order. Assembly was easy and only took one and a half hours. Antenna is light and can be picked up in one hand, but pick it up by the center post only. I have it mounted on a 30 foot push up pole. Measure SWR with my RigExpert AA-30 and it was less than 1.5 across the 20M band and less than 1.2 across most of the 15M band. Couldn't ask for better than that! In the past two days I have worked 15 European, 8 South American, and 3XY1T Guinea on 100 watts. Very happy with the antenna and will be ordering other bands soon.
KD5BLZ Rating: 2016-02-16
Excellent Antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased the KIO antenna on January 6,2016
Waited until January 29 to install due to low wind conditions..
The 17 meter wire broke when the pushup pole slipped and antenna dropped about 6 feet. The Hexbeam did not touched the ground.

Email KIO after hours. Leo responded about 70 minutes later.
Below is his response.

Hi Nathan:
Thank you for the report. I am very sorry for the failure. It appears to be a defect in manufacture of the wire in that the wire was not fully seated in the sleeve before crimping. Normally, the crimped wire/cord junctions are extremely strong. We shall ship you a replacement wire set tomorrow by priority shipping with our apologies.
73, Leo

Talk about great service.
Have not had a lot of time work DX since I got it up.
but one comment I get is my signal is solid.
I will be putting it to more use later. Just got to get past this week.
KD9BWP Rating: 2016-02-15
Love it! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I’m very pleased with my hexbeam, which has been up for a little more than 3 months on a crank-up tubular tower that I usually keep at about 35-40 feet. During that time, I have worked 70 countries. I can’t bust through every pile-up with 100 watts, but I get through a lot of them, including the recent South Georgia and Lesotho DXpeditions. The antenna seems fairly impervious to wind, and the ice cords performed very well during a freak, mid-November storm that dropped extremely heavy, wet snow. I recommend painting the spreader bars with Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic, as regular outdoor latex paint will not stick to the fiberglass. Many thanks to Leo for producing such a fine product!
K4NUC Rating: 2016-02-05
Great Beam Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This is a great lightweight beam. I have it on a pushup pole about 9 meters up. I am running only 100 watts and have been able to actually crack quite of few pileups. Performs amazing well, has noticeable side nulling and front/back gain. The only thing I had an issue with was after a storm when the hex-nuts where it mounted to my pole worked loose and the beam was wobbling atop the pole. I'm glad I drilled through the pole as they recommended or the beam would have come down. I have it on a lightweight Yaesu rotator and it turns easily. I wish it would tune down to 40 meters. Great investment, I'm very happy with it. 73
W5NRF Rating: 2016-01-01
Update Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Update to my review of June 6, 2014.

Nothing but praise for the KIO. Recently had 50+ MPH winds, no problem. I have yet to find a pile-up I could not enter with 1-3 tries.

Note that if you have the 6 mtr add-on, the antenna will also do 2 meters. Even running a KW, antenna tuners are not necessary on any band.

This KIO is a great investment. The company and their service, before, during, and after the sale, could not be better.
W7PV Rating: 2015-12-28
Well built - great antenna Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I won't duplicate the raves on performance, but I can attest to the durability. I mounted mine in a forest clearing (for stealth reasons), knowing that falling branches from the fir tress might be a problem. Yup, several big ones hit the antenna this past fall in windstorms, several lodging in the wires, and bending the mast over about 45 degrees. However, the ice cords seemed to save the day, as nothing was broken or damaged.
K1GHC Rating: 2015-12-14
Great performance Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Well engineered, great performance and excellent customer service.
AJ2I Rating: 2015-12-10
Amazing Peformance Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
What else can be said that already hasn't been. 5/5 an amazing antenna that has broken through countless pileups. Great performance on all bands. Flat SWR across the board. They say it's only equivalent to a 2 Element yagi, however, I've been stronger many times vs local hams 3 element trapped Yagis.
W7ZAC Rating: 2015-11-16
Excellent Product Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I live in Northeastern Nevada at 5675 feet above sea level. We get brutal winters here, with strong winds. I just installed the KIO Hexbeam two weeks ago before our first snowstorm. I also installed the ice cords. It works as advertised. I do notice that it has almost no attenuation on the backside of the beam, but I expected that since it is essentially a tuned dipole. I can work what I hear now, and I hear many new countries, especially on the JT65-HF mode. I made an excellent choice, Thanks! It is up only 40 Ft at the present time, but works great!
KK4CZT Rating: 2015-10-25
out standing antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Best antenna I have ever had, the one thing is after three years the spreader fiberglass poles have started to de laminate and need to be replaced that just part of living in South Florida the sun is brutal on fiberglass and plastic. All in all it’s still the best antenna that I have ever had and I highly recommend it.
KK4CZT