Manager

Review Summary For : Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Reviews: 159MSRP: 669
Description:
A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with
performance on par with a
two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully
tuned and ready to go. This is a
plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an
evening with no measurements or
tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax
feeds all bands. Available for
Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel
components are stainless and non
metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast
or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft
aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds
of users. A “no questions
asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.k4kio.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
351594.9
WA5WA Rating: 2015-09-27
A+++Antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've this antenna about 1 year and QSO more than 1000 from around the world with this antenna, and when one of the spreader broken, I called Leo and he shipped it to me without charge.
Exellent antenna and superb Customer Service from Leo
KE5JA Rating: 2015-09-27
Excellent Antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
When I first purchased this antenna for my Sakhalin Island, Russia RA/KE5JA QTH, I needed an antenna with a small turning radius and wind load. I wasn't expecting much but wow, I sure was surprised. At my Sakhalin QTH, the hex beam was mounted only 35' up but worked much better than I was expecting. It also survived the harsh winter storms and snow.

I am now living in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia and recently had the hex beam temporarily installed on the roof of my A93JA Bahrain house. And again, WOW, it worked fantastic! I made over 10,000 QSO's with it the first two months I had my A93JA license and could break any pile-up with it. It is now in the process of being installed at my Saudi Arabia 7Z1JA QTH.

The beam is very light weight, easy to assemble, excellent SWR, and had no problem surviving Siberian winters and now Middle East summers. I highly recommend this antenna and feel you will be surprised at it's performance!
N3QQN Rating: 2015-09-19
Wonderful antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
20, 17 and 15 meter bands all have excellent VSWR with no tuner. It is 8 feet off of the ground and I can ragchew with my friend in Indianna from Seattle mid day with no dropout. I cannot wait to hoist it up on the push up mast.
KG4BFR Rating: 2015-08-01
The 2nd Best Antenna I have ever owned Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Excellent antenna with a very good price,easy to assemble,does not take up to much space in the yard,very good quality components,the antenna is up on a Rohn 40 push up pole with 8 guy wire rope....antenna is at 30 Ft to base, no rotor,antenna is pointed do North over the Pole....Spreader Arms are getting a bit rough from the South Florida sun, I would recommend painting them if you live in a high UV zone.
It is a fantastic antenna with incredible receive...get it up in the air and enjoy.
VK3TWM Rating: 2015-05-31
Best antenna I've ever owned. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Wow! This is an awesome antenna! Only had it on the mast for about two weeks and already I'm working stations I couldn't even hear before. I love it!
Granted that I've only had it for a short time and I will write another review when it's been up for 12 months or so.
Although it is only mounted 7 metres above the ground! It has brought FT-950 to life.

This antenna is well built and represents good value for the bucks. I reckon, if you buy it! You won't be disappointed.
Thank you Leo for a fine product! I am now one happy DX'er...........
K9ILL Rating: 2015-04-29
Non directional Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After owning my hex beam over 2 years, I'm well pleased and get great signal reports. My hex does NOT seem to be very directional. I live in the St Louis,MO area and I leave my beam pointed S/E most of the time and I still hear Canada and the N/E as well as I hear the S/E.
I guess that could be a good thing sometimes. I DO love the beam though. It's light weight, works well with a TV rotator and has withstood 70 mph winds and ice storms here in the Midwest and costs HALF the price of a Mike Traffy Hex beam.

NG0Z Rating: 2015-04-28
World of Difference Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased the 5-band version with the ice cords, larger flange base plate and the ferrite bead choke balun. It shipped quickly.

The antenna arrived in good condition, there was some gunk on a couple of the spreaders that I removed with steel wool before painting them black.

The directions were easy to follow and I assembled it myself easily on a step ladder suspended by two saw horses in the driveway.

I was amazed by how large it looked in the driveway but to a amateur radio operator it is a work of art once it's assembled. To spouses and neighbors, not so much I suppose.

Everyone in on the project was skeptical that the SWR would be flat and low on all (5) bands until we put the analyzer on it...wow. No tuning required on 10, 12, 15, 17 or 20 meters!

The analyzer shows it will be easily tuned on 6M and 2M even although I didn't opt for that option.

I've been running with a 43' DXE MBVE-1 Vertical with an extensive radial field and a 200' doublet up 50+'...and what a difference this antenna on a 50' tower has already made...

I can hear stations that I could not hear before, and those that I could come in much stronger. I got a 59+ into UAE and last night got a 58 from China putting 500-600 Watts into this beautiful antenna. Both after only a couple tries in huge pileups.

Completely delighted by the performance so far and it looks awesome!

Bonus: I had a question when we were installing the antenna on top of the new tower and Leo answered my email on a Sunday! If that's not excellent customer service (and maybe also a little insane) I don't know what is! (Thanks Leo)

Hints and Tips:

-I painted mine black, and recommend it for UV protection but even more so for aesthetic reasons!

-Buy some extra hose clamps.

-I would probably put wire ties on the hose clamps if I had to do it over again as I'm not sure I trust them for the long haul...time will tell.

I will update this review if anything changes.

K0JKJ Rating: 2015-04-22
great but needs painting Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My first Impression of the K4KIO hex beam was very favorable. Went together easily. With a second person it went up fairly easily on the roof mounted tripod, and rotor. After the “~ three” years I have had it up it needed to come down for a roof replacement. Colorado hail and 80+ mph winds are tough on roofs. The antenna handled it fine. But The night before I was going to take it down the rotor mount broke and the antenna came down. One spreader was damaged.

The only problem is the fiberglass spreader DO NOT like the high Colorado UV levels and are starting to de-laminate like the fiber glass light poles in my neighborhood. Before it goes back up it will receive a couple of coats of enamel paint. I will use leather gloves when painting and handling so as not to have anymore fiberglass stuck in my hands than handling the removal provided.

As a beam antenna it is great for what it is but I wished the spreaders were painted before assemblyto prevent the UV damage. Thus the 4 out of 5 rating.

PS I tell the neighbors that ask: It is not an antenna but a clothes line for the doves that use it for a perch to announce their search for a mate..
KC1SA Rating: 2015-04-22
A great value and excellent performer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I’m a quite new to amateur radio. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 that I’ve been running various end fed antenna for 6m to 160m applications and have been somewhat happy, but remember I’m a new person to the hobby and nothing to compare against. I had the privilege of working at W1AW for an hour a few months back and that tainted my viewpoint of reception. I’ve worked our club station with G5RV’s and such and didn’t see much of a difference from my end-fed designs but the beam at W1AW really sparked my interests.
I live in the center of my town; each plot is only 1/6th of an acre so I don’t have much room to play with for antenna. After much investigation between designs I settled on the hex beam design as it offered the smallest footprint, lowest total cost, and good performance as reported by users. I settled on KIO’s product due to the excellent pre-sales support, attractive pricing and options for additional bands and durability.
My beam is mounted with an EasyUp 31’ foot pole with a Yaesu G-450A mounted at ground level. The pole is currently extended to 22 feet with three guy rings employed to stabilize the pole. I painted the spreader arms with two coats of white Rust-Oleum paint for UV protection. Installed are the option Ice cord and the 6 meter add on kit. Also installed are the ferrite cores for use as a balun.
Performance was really unbelievable compared to the end fed. I have measured the SWR on all bands (6m to 20m) and none are worse than 2:1 which is to be expected. I use my internal tuner of the Kenwood to tune the frequency so the rig only sees 1:1. The hex beam can also be used on 2m as the SWR is below 1.5:1 across the 2m band with the 6m option. I have experienced detuning when during a rain storm; example 50.175Mhz would not tune up with the Kenwood during a recent rain storm however the following day once the antenna was dry all was good. This behavior is expected and during that rain storm only the low end of 6m couldn’t tune, every other band and the rest of 6m would tune. I’ve worked Svalbard, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Europe and South America and in many instances was first or second hear on a pile-up.
I will most likely be changing the guying method as I find ropes allow the mast to sway too much in heavy winds, but overall the stability seems good for the system. The mounting of the rotor, pole, and thrust bearing is very similar to some of the methods shown on the KIO gallery. I highly recommend this antenna for anyone looking to improve performance over a wire antenna or even a vertical for bands from 6m to 20m.
KC1AXJ
Look for installation photos on QRZ (soon).
W3LDR Rating: 2015-03-24
Excellent HF Antenna Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have had the K4KIO 6-20 on the air for almost a year. I rarely do reviews however I felt this is warranted. I originally had this hex on a Rohn push up with the rotor on top. The mast failed and bent in a heavy West Texas wind after a few months. I removed the beam and transferred it to a Rohn 25 Tower and the Beam sat at 34-35ft.

I have made several DX and Stateside contacts way to many to count and have always had GREAT reports. The antenna is relatively flat on its swrs on all bands and no swrs over 1.5:1 that I ever found. This antenna has very directional beam properties.

Compared to my Mosley tri-band there is very little difference I can tell except I think the Hex is quieter. Maybe its my installation.
Anyway I am a fan.....