Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: Evans EE-3 portable VHF/UHF antenna (2m/220/70cm)

Category: Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Evans EE-3 portable VHF/UHF antenna (2m/220/70cm)
Reviews: 6MSRP: 24.95
Description:
The EE-3 evolved from two earlier antennas which I built using surplus parts for use in motels while traveling.

My first design was a simple 2 Meter only antenna. (EE-1) Because the elements telescope, I soon realized that it also resonated on 220 Mhz, or, when constructed differently, on 450/220 Mhz. (EE-2)

I then designed a better antenna rod capable of resonance on all three bands. (EE-3) Read the QST review in December 2007 issue.

Protype tests and modification of the other components yielded minimal SWR readings. I then designed a stainless steel bracket which optimizes the radiation pattern, and contracted with a local U.S.A. vendor to manufacture these. It is interesting to note that the brackets are produced on a state-of-the-art computer controlled laser capable of holding tolerances of .001".

The EE-3 was utilized nationally by numerous clubs during Field Day 2008. Typical users include A.R.E.S./R.A.C.E.S./C.E.R.T./R.R.T./APARTMENTS/MILITARY/CAMPERS/F.E.M.A./M.A.R.S./SKYWARN/HAMFESTS/VOLUNTEERS/DEED RESTRICTED

73, Bob

WB0SVS
Product is in production
More Info: http://ee3.editme.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0064.8
WB0SVS Rating: 2010-04-04
EE-3 DAMAGE REPAIR Time Owned: more than 12 months.
IF YOU OWN AN EE-3 THAT HAS A DAMAGED ROD OR TWO YOU CAN STILL USE IT WITH ONLY 2 (OPPOSING) RADIALS AND LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE. THE VERTICAL CAN BE REBUILT BY THE MANUFACTURER IN MOST CASES.

----------------------
Earlier 4-star review posted by WB0SVS on 2009-10-26

THE EE-3 ANTENNA SITE ee-3.com is history and ee3.editme.com will close down soon but the antennas will still be available in limited quantities via e-mail to beach_bob@msn.com
----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by WB0SVS on 2009-09-15

Great for HT extended range!
AB0RE Rating: 2010-03-22
Fits the emcom/travel antenna market niche nicely! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I ordered an EE-3W from Bob. (This is the "wide-band" version of the EE-3.) I payed for it on Saturday and received it the next Monday (How's that for quick service!).

Well, the antenna is a quarter wave, so there's not too much to get excited about there when comparing it to other higher gain base antennas. Additionally, this may not be an antenna you'd want to install outdoors for long periods of time due to the fragile nature of the telescoping whips.

But for portable emcomm type stuff, the EE-3W fits the bill very, very nicely. The antenna collapes down to ~6" so it'd be very easy to pack in a suitcase or go-kit. Bob has marked each one of the telescoping whips so it's easy to adjust the antenna to resonance for 2M, 220MHz, or 440MHz without the need for a tape measure.

One can't build their own antenna for a savings over the price of the EE-3W shipped (a recent search of eBay found three 20" telescoping whips for $10.95/shipped...). Overall this is great value for the $ and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Dan / ab0re
N4CDB Rating: 2009-06-15
Excellent antenna! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I love this antenna so much I pushed it at every chance I got. As an Assistant Emergency Coordinator for ARES I told our members they needed one in their go-bag. Then Bob pulled the plug.

At our meeting last month some of our members told me that Bob told them he'd only sell them now if you order 100 or more. What a disappointment. So this is why the website is gone.
KC0VJX Rating: 2009-06-09
Works well for the price. Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
As of June 9, 2009, the EE-3 webpage has gone south.
Whether the page has not been renewed or Evans Engineering has left the building, I don't know.

A well designed and IMHO well made boost antenna for mobile or hand helds.

Whatever a noble effort and a good product. Did what it was advertised to do.

KF5AMX Rating: 2009-05-21
Low Cost & Highly Effective Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I decided to try out a low cost portable option antenna to get some more signal strength out of my Handheld VHF UHF Radio. This antenna greatly improved my signal on both bands. I was actually shocked at how well it helped, considering I got the economy model for like 20 bucks shipped. I had previously spend 50 bucks on a 12" Diamond Antenna for my Handheld, and it didn’t even come close to what the EE-3 Antenna can do. I think ever ham should have one of these for quick signal boost, or portable convenience.
KP4TR Rating: 2009-03-27
Very Practical Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I purchased this at a hamfest about a year ago and forgot I had it. I tried it out and works quite well. Will throw in the suitcase fot trips from now on.