Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : MSE MS-1228 13,8V 28A
Reviews: 3MSRP: 99
Description:
Compact switching power supply for 13.8V and 25 Amp continous load. The supply is designed for radio applications and has a temperature controlled fan as well as overload and overvoltage protection on the output. Peak current is 28A, the wide input range is selectable between 170-260VAC and 85-135VAC. The output voltage can be regulated internally down to 10V. Removeable AC cable, DC connectors with 4mm sockets and cigar light socket on front, screws on the rear, size 230 x 180 x 55mm, weight 1.8Kg...
Product is in production
More Info: http://mse.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6007000596655/pdtl/Two-way-radio/1001466963/Power-Supply.htm
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
HA7WX Rating: 2014-08-08
Forget it Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have bought this from a German shop years ago for under 100 euros and all i have to say that it's not worth its price...
1) at home: too noisy fans, worse than my 800W PA!
2) portable: i was on a vacation in an RV and the antenna was outside on the car, 30 feet coax in to the RV to operate from there: the thing was sensitive to the 40m band (20m OK).
3) birdies: an other reviewer mentioned them, i did not realize any issue like this, but maybe there actually are birdies.
To sum up: noisy fans, sensitive to RF under 10mhz (my guess). Otherwise it works.
If you're on a budget and in Europe, i recommend the purchase of a Microset they seem to be more serious and more suited to amateur use (i am satisfied with my 50A Microset PS).
I definitely do not recommend this product!
I'll try to sell it (mentioning its issues), as i want to get rid of it...
SV2BWM Rating: 2010-07-25
Lots of birdies!!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought it as a second PS but this was not suitable for HF: lots of birdies all over up to 6m!!! Besides that, the fan was too noisy for me so I had to remove it with no problem with it. Now I use it for my VHF/UHF rig and other devices that need 13,8V. That was my first swithing power supply and propably the LAST ONE...73'S
DL4OCH Rating: 2010-03-02
Not for HF Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've purchased 2 of them today, pricing was nice and the size as well. No issues on VHF and UHF, but the power-supply creates massive RF up to 10 MHz. Looking at the data-sheet from the supplier sais everything: 100mV ripple from DC up to 10 MHz. With a basic load of 2 Amps both supplies create of noise-floor of S9 from 1810 to 1950 kHz, making the usage of 160mtrs impossible.

I would only recommend this budget SPS for Hams don't want to use HF.

vy 73s,