Manager

More Info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=SPS-75MV
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0061.2
K9BCT Rating: 2017-12-04
Good in some Ways Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Was very excited when I first purchased my SPS-75MV as I would finally have a power supply that would fully furnish the 75 amps of current required by my ALS-500M amplifier. That excitement soon changed to frustration during a QSO a short time later.
Without warning my amplifier suddenly would not "amplify". Since 13.8VDC was showing on Power supply, I Assumed I had probably overdriven the unit and blew the transistors. I pulled the amplifier apart and found all voltage measurements were correct so pulled a transistor, no small task, to check. Finding all 4 OK, I scratched my head and turned to the bench power supply and checked the amp there. ALL OK. Going back to the SPS-75MV I found that the two large 75 Amp terminals measured 13.8VDC with little or no load but pulling 25 amps or more, the voltage went to near zero.
Opening up the Power Supply I found that the connections were totally mechanical with no star washer or anything to insure a connection. I ended up soldering the terminal directly to the PC board and all was again fine. A few months later, I had to again pull the PS apart and solder the ground terminal in the same way.

With these modifications all has been well and it contuse to work. Outside of a slightly noisy fan which runs continuously, am relatively pleased NOW!
HL5ZEE Rating: 2017-03-30
Lights Out / Voltage Issue Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I had my first SPS-75MV for about two years when the 1st problem arose. Both lights on the voltage and current display went out about the same time. The next issue was a strange noise which then turned into the voltage actually jumping up and down and making the supply unusable.

I then rashly just ordered another one with the intention of getting the first one fixed and selling it on. I'm now about 2 years down the line with the second one and the lights went out about 3 months ago. I'm just hoping history isn't going to repeat itself.

Until I saw these reviews, I've never really thought about the supply causing noise but will now check that out as noise levels are quite high on some bands but I put that down to my living in an apartment building.

I wouldn't buy a third!
K0LTD Rating: 2014-06-15
fixed Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I too bought this one and on 40 and 75 meters the noise from power supply raised my noise level to S-10 and noise was as I could not hear anyone.. but not across the whole band , just in spots.. A friend told me to run 1/4 wave length of wire to the neg. post.. So I ran the 16ga wire for 80 and 40 around the ceiling of my ham shack. low and behold,, all noise is now gone and my noise level is back to s4..One should not have to do this, but I did and it worked.. by the way the 2 1/4 wave wires are held up by thumb tacks in corner of ceiling and around floor.. hope this info help[s .
WD8DBY Rating: 2013-10-24
Not worth the money Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This power supply voltage control introduces SIGNIFICANT noise into the receiver. I have to continuously tweak the voltage output adjustment to try to hush the noise it introduces. Do not buy this power supply.
W5GGH Rating: 2013-08-04
Junk Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Almost unusable for amateur use due all the noise it generates.

K6RJP Rating: 2010-05-02
Followup on my first report Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
This is a followup on my first eHam report on the SPS-75MV. After two bad SPS-75MV units directly from MFJ I told them to ship me the fixed voltage MFJ-4175 75 amp supply. They did and it has worked flawlessly. Conclusion, Do NOT buy the SPS-75MV, instead buy the MFJ-4175 if you need 75 amps.