Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE
Reviews: 79MSRP: £475.00 + Shipping
Description:
Description: A six band broadband Hexagonal Beam Antenna designed by Steve G3TXQ and manufactured in the UK by Anthony MW0JZE. Comparable performance to a full size two element yagi on bands 20M – 6M with no tuner needed! Antenna is made in a pre-assembled form meaning a quite assembly time with no tuning involved, just assemble and mount to your mast. Full spec can be found on Anthony’s web site wwwg3txq-hexbeam.com Price £475 GBP plus shipping

Product is in production
More Info: http://www.g3txq-hexbeam.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
G4OBK Rating: 2019-02-18
A Practical solution in limited space Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I've used various HF single and multi-band Yagis and a 10 element log periodic since 1982. I bought the Hexbeam after moving to a more residential location than my previous QTH. The Hexbeam is lightweight and has a smaller turning circle compared to a full size 5 band beam.

The antenna is well made - I've been using it now at 12m AGL for 9 months and it totally outperforms an 130 feet long off centre fed dipole at 15m AGL on all bands 20m - 6m. The antenna is well matched on all HF bands 20m through 6m and has not needed any adjustment or antenna tuning unit usage since it was assembled. It is well worth buying the optional weather struts to strengthen the antenna framework.

Comparing with the two previous aerials I used at my old QTH - a T10 log periodic and an Optibeam 11/5 at 18m AGL, the Hexbeam does not have the same gain - I did not expect it to, however for its size and weight I find the Hexbeam to be adequate for my needs and capable of working DX. I also have a 5 element 6m yagi mounted one metre below the Hexbeam and this has not affected the performance of the Hexbeam. On 6m the yagi (4.2m boom) as you would expect, easily outperforms the Hexbeam.

To sum up, it was worth waiting 3 months for my Hexbeam order to be processed due to its good performance.
IZ3ZLU Rating: 2018-05-14
Fantastic!!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Un'antenna FANTASTICA!!!
Poco ingombrante, molto direttiva e..... finalmente mi sentono ovunque e su tutte e 7 le bande.

A FANTASTIC antenna !!!
Not cumbersome, very directive and ..... finally I feel everywhere and on all 7 bands.
EA4OR Rating: 2018-02-16
Great performance !! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have installed my hexbeam antenna about 1 month ago. I have not been able to install it high enough but its performance is fantastic. Very easy to assemble and practically without any adjustments.

These are some of the countries that I have worked in just one month in cw (100w) from Spain:

Z60A, RI1ANA, JH1EDD, 3G9A / MM (Nr Bouvet), 6W7JX, C5DX, PJ2/WI9WI, 8P0P, JY5HX, PJ4/K4BAI, VP5/K0PC ... (most of them in Pileups).

In short, I think it is a fantastic antenna for DX and contest. Its quality is very good. The communication / support with Anthony MW0JZE and Oscar EA4TD (Spanish distributor) has been perfect.

73´s Ignacio EA4OR
G4WIA Rating: 2018-02-03
Great beam for extreme conditions Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Poldhu Amateur Radio Club (gb2gm.org) is based at the Marconi Centre, Poldhu Cove, Cornwall on the site where Marconi made the first transatlantic contact in 1901.
The Marconi Centre and the antenna field are situated on the cliff top which suffers from very high winds and spindrift, a salt-laden mist in windy conditions. Consequently, our towers and aerials take a dreadful battering each year. Even Marconi’s 200 foot antennas blew down!
The Club had previously owned a 4 element triband beam made by one of the leading manufacturers. Unfortunately, the beam suffered storm damage each winter and in the final year the damage included the boom being broken in two.
We decided to replace the beam with a Hexbeam and chose one manufactured by Anthony David, MWØJZE. We described the harsh site conditions to Ant and he assured us that one of his Hexbeams would be up to the job.
The Hexbeam, complete with Xtream WX supports was purchased and erected on our tower in March 2015 In January 2016 our extreme conditions caused one of the spreaders to pop out of the mounting tube, but this was quickly remedied and modified by Ant to prevent the same thing happening again.
Since then, the only problem has been a broken wire element at the point where the wire enters the ring terminal.
After almost three years the Hexbeam has proved to be capable of surviving very hostile conditions and we are extremely pleased with it.
The after-sales attention from Ant has been flawless and the Hexbeam is excellent, even in a very severely exposed site.
ZL1AAO Rating: 2017-08-14
Highly recommended Hex Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had a few disasters with Yagis and a home Brew Quad so decided on a Hex Beam. Purchased the G3TXQ version from Ant and have not regretted it!
It just sits there in the wind barely moving compared to the every flexing yagis that I used to have. Working the world from ZL. This antenna performs better than the 3 el triband yagis I've used previously! I added the exra bracers for high wind and all has been good. The kit come well packed and instructions for assembly are clear.
2E0SDV Rating: 2017-02-10
Best thing I've bought Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought my Hex beam from Anthony coming up to a year ago. I was amazed at the helpful service that was provided and how well everything was handled.
The hex beam is a simple 2 element antenna that I could fit into my very small garden. It took an hour to assemble son my own using the helpful guide included.
ever since I have had the antenna up I have noticed that I have a better grasp on the DX and I am working more and more as the day goes on.
The service from Anthony is amazing! and he is a real person. None of this computerized email response stuff. And if you are stumped by anything his fast email response is top notch.

Over all I am very happy with the service provided and the antenna is the best I could have hoped for! Love it!
BG2WRJ Rating: 2017-02-02
Easy installation Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
This is a very good antenna, although it is a fixed version, but it is not bulky, easy to assemble, you can work without adjustment, very convenient for me
VK2QV Rating: 2017-01-02
Excellent multi band antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
The Hexbeam was put-up on the mast about 6 weeks ago. I have a small backyard and wanted to operate on 20m through 6m including the WARC bands using my homebrewed antenna mast.

Prior to purchasing the antenna I did much research and decided to go on with Hexbeam by Ant MW0JZE.

The antenna works great on all 6 bands and low VSWR throughout the bands. Superbly built with quality great materials. Assembly of the antenna was very easy and instructions were very clear. I’m using 1:1 balun made by Ant as well.

Antenna is sitting about 10m above the ground level and VSWR was measured using RigExpert antenna analyzer and very impressed with low SWR over entire band so no tuner needed. All 6 bands at it resonant and it is a real wide bander.

Communication with Ant is very easy by email or Whatsapp and you will get a prompt reply from him.

In general the antenna works excellent and DX signal reports are much better compared to my old homebrewed Cobwebb antenna. Most of the times I use 300w and can easily break a pileup.

I will recommend this antenna for anyone who has limited space and no need of big tower and simple rotator will turn the antenna with ease. I’m using Yaesu G-450A rotator to turn the antenna.

for more info: https://www.qrz.com/db/VK2QV

73 Ras VK2QV
G0GPH Rating: 2016-12-23
Great performer. Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have owned the Hexbeam for over 6 months now and I am still impressed with the results I am getting. Although there are just two elements per band, there are no lossy traps to waste rf energy, and there is less to go wrong too! This MW0JZE version is very well engineered, and (if you have the room) easy to assemble. Ant, is very supportive and responds quickly to emails. Performance wise, I can work DX even when propagation is marginal. To my amazement, I've even busted pileups where your up against some seriously high and big antennas, running high power. The Hexbeam does an amazing job, considering it is only a 2 element design with a turning radius of only 3.5m.
SKIPPYONTHEAIR Rating: 2016-12-23
Great Antenna Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
This is my 4th Antenna since becoming Licensed.
First was a MFJ Mag Loop which was great but a hassle retuning all the time. Second was a MP1 Super Antenna was OK. Then moved and had a G5RV which was a good antenna but the it got damaged and I got some cash and was hearing great things a Hexbeams so stumped up some cash and got one.

First of all Ant was first class and kept me informed of the delays of production as due to all the good reviews the hexbeam was getting there was a bit of a backlog.

Payment was simple and when the item arrived I was surprised how small the box was, Ok it was 6ft high but only about 20cms deep and wide.

Construction, Did take me a little bit longer than the hour but there was only one of me but I kept going back to the videos to double and triple check things and kept loosing nuts and bolts in the grass.

While waiting for the MM0CUG mast to be installed I fired the hexbeam up on the grass and worked the US on 20m from the North East of Scotland, for the past 2 years I hadn't even heard the US let alone tried to work them.

Got it up on the MM0CUG Mast (Need to do a review on that) and suddenly the world came alive. Could hear Brazil, worked my first African station could hear the fart east but haven't got around to working them yet.

The first big test for me was the Cevantes diploma. Big pile ups and with 100w had broken through in usually les than 5 calls (Previous antennas I wouldn't have even tried)

At the moment Im trying just to work countries I haven't worked before or special event stations rather than logging up 100s of contacts in competitions and in a week I had worked more DXCC than I had in 5 years.

To be honest I want to give this antenna 0 rating as its such a good antenna I don't want to have to go and compete on a level playing field with everyone getting one!

Ant is very helpful and I believe he has some innovations for the hexbeam in the pipeline.

Ian