Manager

More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0094.9
NEVBEN Rating: 2017-11-24
flawless vertical Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I selected this to use with a 2m mobile unit as a base station at my house in the middle of a large valley surrounded by mountains with peaks at 10K ft.. I mounted it on a steel mast on the peak of my roof. The base of the antenna is at 27'.

The Diamond product came with everything I needed to assemble and install it, and I did not have any trouble with the assembly. It's a well thought-out design with quality manufacture from the soldering, the metals rods, the fiberglass radomes to the hardware and brackets.

The performance of the antenna is what one might expect from 3x5/8L elements at the height I mounted it. There's a number of repeaters on the mountaintops up and down the valley that I can easily reach with an HT. My purpose for this larger vertical is to extend the range of high-quality simplex operations. Sure I can bring in advantageously-positioned repeaters that are 200 miles away, but the practical use of this for me is covering the entire valley with simplex and very clear signals. With this antenna, I've easily achieved clear simplex communications with HT's and mobiles out beyond a 10 mile radius. Beyond that, the signals have to go over very big mountain ranges where this antenna does remarkably well communicating with mobiles, but including a mountaintop repeater in the chain works better.

Now I suppose I could have achieved my objective with a single 5/8L vertical or a j-pole, but there has been nothing disappointing or unpleasant about this F23H.
KD2LFY Rating: 2016-12-23
The Best 2 Meter Antenna Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
One of the best antennas you can get that's omnidirectional. My antenna is only 10 feet off the ground and I live on top of a decent hill here in NY and I can get into repeaters at a maximum of 80 miles away in this hilly terrain. Of course most at this range I cannot get into. 60 miles is where I get reliably into. My signal goes far better south than north mainly due to mountains that are causing my signal to be blocked from going north. Due to the mountains my signal can be limited up to 20 miles! So keep this in mind that this antenna isn't a miracle if your surrounded by objects like tall buildings or hills. Only thing I didn't like about this antenna is the instructions are a bit vauge on what to cut the antenna for 2 meters. It says its tuned to 144MHZ but the middle of the 2 meter band is 146MHZ. I honestly just left it alone and it works fine for me, didn't bother trimming a whole centimeter off.
N0XAX Rating: 2014-06-17
Best 2 Meter Base Antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned this antenna for about five years. I had used Hustler, Cushcraft, and Comet base antennas. The F23H is by far the best 2 meter monoband antenna I have ever used, period. As stated by some other reviewers, I hit repeaters I could never hit before. And simplex is awesome! I would however use blue loctite on the allen screws holding the internal elements together inside the fiberglass radome. Want the best 2 meter base antenna you can buy? Get a Diamond F23H! You will not be disappointed!
KN0JI Rating: 2014-03-24
OMG...great 2 m antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
My old Hustler SF-2 was the best antenna I ever had on my roof, and gave me great, unwavering performance. Then I read these reviews and took a chance and replaced it with the Diamond F23H. Holy cow! I'm now able to simplex farther than ever. I can hit repeaters I thought were too far away for me to reach. My SF-2 is still great, so I put it on my car. But for a base antenna, I don't believe it'll be easy for me to beat the F23H, at least in the foreseeable future.
AI4EN Rating: 2013-08-14
High performance antenna! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have bought two of these antennas, one was cut for 162 Mhz (AIS-ARUBA/MARINETRAFFIC) and is mounted on the Yamanota mountain (200 meters) which is the highest peak on the island with sustained winds of 30 knots and gusts up to 60 knots. The other one was cut for 156.8 Mhz for marine VHF frequency. Both have been giving outstanding performance for more than a year. My only concern is the corrosion since the salt concentration in the air is very high. I've sprayed a product that is meant for air condition coils on the center section and on top of that sprayed a sealer to protect it from the elements. I will be ordering one more for my QTH 2 meter station. Very happy camper!
VE7LSE Rating: 2012-12-24
Great for APRS Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Got it from HRO and was shipped to me just fine.
Got it home and put it together very easy. No tuning required for 144mhz. Checked SWR before I installed it and was good.
Make sure to tape up the joints before installing in location to make sure the water stays out!

BEEN HAPPY SO FAR!
W4MAA Rating: 2012-04-22
Good Antenna Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
We have been using this antenna for a frequency agile remote base radio that ties into the main repeater system. Handles temperature and wind with no problem. We have 2 meter links to our main system over 150+ miles away from 3300ft elevation.
KA2AYR Rating: 2011-06-26
RF Parts sent the right part Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
They're not much for reply correspondence, but to my surprise, RF Parts sent the proper retaining nut for the antenna. The antenna is made whole now and is performing as expected.

----------------------
Earlier 2-star review posted by KA2AYR on 2011-06-20

I purchased a Diamond 718 UHF antenna for 440 a year ago and had no trouble with it, so I went for another Diamond product. Their reference gain is in dBi (referenced to a theoretical isotropic antenna). This antenna is approx. 5 dBd (referenced to a dipole). It seemed like a nice, light-weight, light-duty product that I could fly from my house without reinforcing the rafters. This review would be a 5 _IF_ the proper coupling ferrule (the retainer which holds the sections of top-most radome and the middle radome sections together) came with the antenna. The assembly was straightforward until I found the female section was larger than the male section and did not thread properly. It spun loosely over the section it was supposed to mate with. Not something you want to find out when you have everything else ready to go. I emailed RF Parts, the parent company of Diamond antenna and have not received a reply thus far. Yes, I have an antenna. It seems to work. It's just not quite right with electrical tape sealing the sections together (I needed an antenna; returning it was not an option when it was materially sufficient) and I don't want to drive the 140 miles round-trip to the closest dealer. So, RF Parts, you have my email. Please do answer me as soon as you can so we can make this right.
W4IOS Rating: 2011-04-23
Repalced a Ringo Ranger II with a F23H Diamond Antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just replace a Ringo Ranger II antenna that was used on my weather/APRS IGate and almost immediately notice a difference! The quality of the antenna is much superior than the Ringo Ranger II and much easier to tune. The F23H is also field tunable and got the SWR down to <1.2:1. So far a great antenna!! I do recommend it to any one that is wanting a good 2 meter base antenna!