|I do a lot of boatanchor radio and test equipment repair and restoration. I use a 'scope all the time. I DO have a soft spot for Tek 7623As. I used them back 'in the day' at IBM. I currently have 4. (3 are 'parts units). ha ha They are TOUGH to work on and always have PS issues.|
I also have 5 other assorted Teks and quite a few Hitachi, Sencore, Leader, Philips, etc.
My main 'scope has been the excellent Tek 2465A. Recently, I decided to purchase the ATTEN ADS1102CAL digital 'scope.
First the positives:
- the quality of the scope is first rate. Period.
- the performance is fantastic, having more feature/functions than I will probably ever use. The math functions are beyond my humble Degree....But I'll figger it out.
- small, compact
- BEAUTIFUL 7" wide LCD Color display
- auromatic operation
- EXCELLENT, responsive company (ATTEN)
- 3 year warranty!
- packing was sub par for a instrument coming 1/2 way across the world. This has been noted in some other 'reviews' on the www. Mine had absolutely NO damage. This aspect has been sent to the manufacturer and they said they would work on it.
- the User's Manual and Software (for using with a PC) were in Chinese. WTF!!
- bandwidth only 100 MHz, although ATTEN makes higher bandwidth models and also Spectrum Analysers.
I communicated with ATTEN about the Users Manual and had a PDF of the English version the next day (with apologies). Same with the software.
Using this 'scope is a joy. It came with 2 very high quality 100 MHz probes. The built in freq counter is accurate out to 7 digits!
All in all, I just love this 'scope. It takes a while to get used to the digital display versus the smooth waveforms of the Teks, but it is easy to adjust to. If I need higher bandwidth, I use the Tek 2465A or the LeCroy (350 MHz).....
Also see my review of the ATTEN Model 937b Soldering Station.
This is a company to watch!!
I am VERY happy!!!